Quest For Glory ll is there voice pack?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Sherryah
Peasant Status

Quest For Glory ll is there voice pack?

#1 Post by Sherryah » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:40 pm

Congratulations on a beautiful game. I have vista 32 with a quad core desktop computer and music is beautiful and graphics clear.
Thank you so much for all your hard work. :D

Please tell me after playing with various controls for sound, I hear music beautifully but is the voice pack suppose to be included? Do I download this elsewhere?

The only thing making this more fun is I need to hear the voices like in the origional I played many years ago. ;)

Thanks for your quick response.
Sherryah

pikaporeon
Royal Servant Status

Re: Quest For Glory ll is there voice pack?

#2 Post by pikaporeon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:41 pm

Sherryah wrote: Please tell me after playing with various controls for sound, I hear music beautifully but is the voice pack suppose to be included? Do I download this elsewhere?

The only thing making this more fun is I need to hear the voices like in the origional I played many years ago. ;)
No voice pack, no one has the time or money for that - and the original did not have one either.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#3 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:47 pm

This game has literally thousands of lines of dialogue and hundreds are the narration alone. A voice pack for this scope of game just isn't plausible.

Sherryah
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Sherryah » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks for your quick reponse. Strange I really thought the old version had a voice pack thanks for shocking my memory. Guess I was thinking of other Sierra games. Really nice job on the game though.

Sherryah

adeyke

#5 Post by adeyke » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:52 pm

The only QfG games with a voice version are 4 and 5.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:59 pm

and the only one with a good voice track is 4. Although I could see making a voice pack for QFG3 and 1 wouldn't be as difficult.

Spanky
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Spanky » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:14 pm

I was actually secretly hoping that they wouldn't release a voice pack for this game. It's just not necessary, in my opinion.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Asrai » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Yeah. I'm glad that there's no voice pack and will most likely never be one. I shudder to imagine how awful a voice pack with the wrong amateur talent doing the katta voices would sound like, they might try to meow at the end of every sentence or something! *shudder* Other games like the KQ series just lent themselves better to talented amateurs doing a great job with the voices.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:37 pm

the ideology that amateurs can't do this game justice seems like kind of an absurdity when it's an amateur production to begin with. I think the previous voice packs were just fine and I don't see why this one would have been different. The main reason to not do a voice pack for this game is just the sheer volume of dialogue.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Asrai » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:21 pm

I did say:
Asrai wrote:Other games like the KQ series just lent themselves better to talented amateurs doing a great job with the voices.
Maybe I should clairify, I thought that the KQ voice packs did sound great. And when I use the word amateur, I definitely don't intend for the negative connotation that the word sometimes has to apply. Keep in mind, all olympic atheletes are amateurs, I really don't mean it to say that amateur equals bad.

That said, I do think that really good voice acting is the sort of talent that is rare if not impossible to find for free. I think that QGIV probably has about as much content as QGII, so it is doable for those with the time and monetary resources, but the voice acting is outstanding. John Rhys-Davies for crying out loud! But I'm sure that signature voice didn't come cheap even if he wasn't quite so famous at the time. If the voices in QGII weren't done just right, it would really detract from the game. I'm not saying that amateur voice actors would all necessarily be horrible, but to lump them in with "amateur" game designers (they do have a commercial release... I think this is more a case of professionals doing pro bono work) is one of those apples and oranges arguments.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#11 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:35 pm

I think we could do the voices justice, it's just that we really won't have the time or resources to make a speech pack.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Asrai » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:43 pm

If anybody can do it justice, you guys can. But if you ever do decide to make a voice pack, take a listen to this Lets Play as a what-to-avoid. :) I really enjoy the guy's videos, but that voice with the "Reerrrow" makes me cringe! :rollin

GloomSaber
Peasant Status

#13 Post by GloomSaber » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:25 pm

Doubt it would happen since I think I read another thread on this forum that they said they won't do one because they want to get professional voice actors to do the voices and the title needs some dialogue alterations to remove things that is hard to be voiced like player's name and currency of item.

Also, the production for shadows of darkness had a cast of "famous" american voice actors like Jeff Bennet (Johnny Bravo) as the voice of Ad Aviz, Bonehead, etc.., Jennifer Hale (Naomi Hunter in Metal Gear, some voices in Powpuff girls, etc..) as Katrina, Cam Clarke (Leonardo in the old Ninja Turtles animated series, Heman/Adam for the 2k3 he-man cartoon, the Kaneda in the old Akira dubbed, Freddy in Freddy Pharkis) as a few characters in QFG4 and the voice of Minnie Mouse as Tanya, etc...

If AGDinteractive wants to reproduce that sort of quality work for their fangame, they have to have to have a lot of money.

Personally, I like how there are no voice pack. No offense, I don't think any amount of amature voice talent would be on par with the voices in QFG4 and AGD has mentioned before that they would prefer using a professional cast than a bunch of folks with little voice experience.

Sierra online had their own staff doing the voices for the characters in KQ five while vetern voice actors for kq6. You can clearly hear the difference. As for QG5, they also used "professional actors" but most of them werent veterns and were new at the time, hence a lot of the voices sounds stale and not lively.

Voices like Steve Blum and Beau Billingsely(promiment anime voiceactors) did many of the characters in GF5, but they weren't as experience as they are today.

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by oriel » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:57 am

Actually, I found myself mentally rehearsing John Rhys-Davies' voice when I signed guild log "with a flourish" and personally really loved the voice acting of Ad-Avis in QFG4 (heck I loved the entire vocal cast of that game). But, it's all good, I think the game is a triumph even without vocals.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:46 am

actually I just saw in the EGA version that you don't sign the guild log with a flourish at all. I was so glad that AGCs and Erpy decided to put the flourish where it belongs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zamBXhmw ... re=related