Mac compatibility

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

darkgamorck
Peasant Status

Mac compatibility

#1 Post by darkgamorck » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:34 am

As promised, I'm trying to play the game under OS X. Thus far I've tried only Crossover Games (as I must get ready for work now) and the game appears to mostly work. I was able to install, configure and play it. The launcher doesn't appear to work under Crossover however. You can run winsetup.exe directly to configure the game and qfg2vga.exe to play the game. The only thing that appears to be off after a few minutes, is that the opening cinematic doesn't play due to filter issues (not sure whether or not this is resolvable) and that mouse seems move somewhat oddly. Also I am unable to play the game at a 320x fullscreen res on my Macbook Pro, and had to switch to a 640x res.

There is also a mac "native" version of AGS that might be worth a shot. I'm not sure it's really up to par since it's only in beta and it saw it's last update in 2005. That probably also means that it's a PowerPC binary rather than a Universal one, which at this point, is just adding insult to injury :)

I don't think Cider will be worth the effort, simply because winsetup.exe makes use of a native Windows control interface, and that is a no-no when it comes to wrapping Windows games with Cider.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: Mac compatibility

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:36 am

I'm playing it on a mac right now, I just booted up in Windows XP to play it though as thats where I keep all my adventure games :)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:39 am

Sadly, the Mac port of AGS doesn't support v2.72 which is the version we compiled both Al Emmo and QFG2VGA in. Otherwise we would have already released Mac native versions of both games.

I think the developer ran out of time/motivation to continue working on the port.

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:42 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I'm playing it on a mac right now, I just booted up in Windows XP to play it though as thats where I keep all my adventure games :)
Really? thats really cool, what program did you use? virtual pc or something?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:39 pm

I used Bootcamp, it came with my IMac (not the newest model but the last one) but you can probably download it from the apple website. Then you install Windows of your choice (I prefer Windows XP) and it asks for a quotient of your hard drive, I gave 50gb, and it sets it aside as a seperate virtual hard-drive. When you reboot your machine you hold the apple key and it displays the option to start Mac OS or Windows and goes to whichever hard drive and OS you specify. Then I had to install Firefox as IE wasn't working for the website to download it and it worked fine. I'm also using it for all my usual PC gaming needs. The only gaming I could find that was Mac compatible of any interest were SNES emulators and certain versions of Fallout 1 and 2 So Bootcamp was the ideal solution for a single computer setup.

darkgamorck
Peasant Status

#6 Post by darkgamorck » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:38 pm

oughtobe wrote:Really? thats really cool, what program did you use? virtual pc or something?
Any Mac you buy nowadays contains pretty much the same hardware as PCs. You can boot Windows natively on any Mac sold within the last two years. Bootcamp is a package that Apple provides to make Mac installation easy. It contains an automated install for all of the Windows Device drivers and provides OS X utilities for resizing disk partitions and allowing Windows to be installed on an existing system.

HanClinto2
Peasant Status

#7 Post by HanClinto2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:41 am

I run it on Windows XP inside of VMWare Fusion (fantastic program, much better than Parallels IMO).

My wife runs Windows 2000 inside of Fusion, and wasn't able to get the sound to work, and unfortunately the game won't start without a proper sound driver. :-/

So she opened up her Ubuntu install inside of Fusion, installed Wine, and then ran the game through that. Other than not playing the opening movie, it seems to work fine (despite being emulated 3 levels deep or so). :)

Heroes_Do_Not_Talk
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Heroes_Do_Not_Talk » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:47 am

darkgamorck wrote:
oughtobe wrote:Really? thats really cool, what program did you use? virtual pc or something?
Any Mac you buy nowadays contains pretty much the same hardware as PCs. You can boot Windows natively on any Mac sold within the last two years. Bootcamp is a package that Apple provides to make Mac installation easy. It contains an automated install for all of the Windows Device drivers and provides OS X utilities for resizing disk partitions and allowing Windows to be installed on an existing system.
Are you having any issues with the action submenu (run/walk/sneak/char/time/etc)? I am also running it on XP Pro via VMWF, and I cannot get it to work for me. It just blinks off as soon as I move the mouse. Basically prevents me from working a thief. :(

sparkletone
Peasant Status

#9 Post by sparkletone » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:53 am

Heroes_Do_Not_Talk wrote:Are you having any issues with the action submenu (run/walk/sneak/char/time/etc)? I am also running it on XP Pro via VMWF, and I cannot get it to work for me. It just blinks off as soon as I move the mouse. Basically prevents me from working a thief. :(
This problem appears to exist in Parallels as well.

EDIT: By the way, this can be worked around by turning off "Mouse Synchronization" in the Parallel Tools inside Windows (just double click the Parallels icon in your Windows system tray to bring up the settings to do that).
Last edited by sparkletone on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#10 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:56 am

Using boot camp and the game is working perfectly, I've done all the thief sidequests (I think) and the sound is crisp.

Alliance
Knight Status

#11 Post by Alliance » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:36 pm

I'm currently working on wrapping the Cider engine and optimizing the package to make it work with QFG2VGA. It'll work on Intel Macs, I know that.

Keep an eye on this thread in case I make progress.

November
Peasant Status

#12 Post by November » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:50 pm

Hate to be a spoilsport here, but unless you've got a license with Transgaming, you're not legally allowed to distribute Cider. I don't think they're hiding where they're posting binary or source downloads and failing to mention anything other than you need to contact them to license it -- the Cider kits I've seen have all been swiped out of games that actually licensed it. Cider/Cedega itself is a mostly closed fork of the formerly MIT-licensed Wine branch, so it's their rights to charge for it and not provide it for free. Last I checked, Cider wasn't in their source repositories for folks to compile their own and redistribute for non-commercial purposes (Cedega is, however). If that's changed, feel free to say so since that'd be rather good news.

That being said, QFG2VGA works flawlessly for me under Wine proper and the commercial CrossOver Games (which actually directly benefits the Wine community, unlike Transgaming) barring the launcher issue. Just fire up winsetup.exe and set it to 640x480 fullscreen and it's fine. I've already run through the game without issue on a MacBook Pro/10.5.4, ignoring some speed concerns trying to get it to runs smoothly in a window with filtering turned on to help ramp up the resolution. Full-screen 640x480 is fine, though.

Sierra-X
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Sierra-X » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:21 am

Just to follow up on November's comments about Wine, it works quite well for me in the stable (1.0) and developmental (1.1.3) branches. YMMV, of course, but it's a good solid way to play the game on operating systems other than Windows.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#14 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:25 am

If you're going to use your mac for gaming at all I recommend Boot camp and Windows XP. Windows still does all those little annoying things to me "Would you like to update ninety bajillion programs you will never use?" but it doesn't affect gameplay. I just installed my entire Sierra collection (along with some Lucas and Interplay) onto my mac so if I ever feel like gaming I just need to boot over to windows, easy as that. All this repackaging/wrapping is just far more complex than it needs to be. Like I wrote earlier, Bootcamp is just the best way to go for gaming on a mac.

jaingaurav
Peasant Status

#15 Post by jaingaurav » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:17 pm

How did you get it working on CrossOver Games? I tried the installation and it constantly fails.
Last edited by jaingaurav on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#16 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Use either bootcamp or virtual PC for optimal AGS functionality.

jaingaurav
Peasant Status

#17 Post by jaingaurav » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:03 pm

I agree bootcamp will be great, but I want to use my Mac OS X. November said that the game worked on CrossOver Games, but I'm not able to install it.

November
Peasant Status

#18 Post by November » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 pm

Firstly, the adamant statements about Bootcamp is pretty silly. Sure, you can install Windows, but that's a waste of time and space for a lot of people, myself included -- since you're wasting hard drive space keeping a Windows partition you might not need or use save for a handful of tiles. Not to mention, you're supposed to have a legit Windows license to boot, which isn't really needed with Wine or the cheap Crossover package. I can run everything I need/want just fine under Crossover, including stuff I need for work. For others BootCamp may be useful, but not for everyone. Regardless--

This is for Crossover Games 7.1 (latest release)--

1. Fire up Qfg2vga10.exe using the Configure -> Install -> Install Unspoorted Software option inside Crossover. It'll go through its install process but it won't create the relevant shortcuts you'll actually need in your Programs Menu. Doesn't really matter that much.

2. Programs -> Run Command. Browse to the QFG2 folder where everything unpacked and load up winsetup.exe. You can also save this shortcut to your program menu by hitting the big 'Save Command to Programs Menu' button. From here you're going to have to specify 640x480. I do not suggest running it in a window. You can either outright specify 640x480 or turn on one of the 2x filters (which will be slower) and select 640x480. Save it.

3. Run Command menu again, make a shortcut to QFG2VGA.exe. Run it, it'll go into full screen 640x480 and play just fine. I've already finished the game without issue. If you want to find where to put your import saves just use Configure -> Manage Bottles -> Advanced -> Open Drive C: In Finder, which will take you right to where that bottle is buried. Can just drop your .sav right in the QFG2 folder and it imports just fine.

While you can run the game just fine in a window, it'll be really tiny on any fixed LCD screen -- and again, using the filters to bump it up cause slowdown, at least on my MacBook Pro, anyway. Best to run it fullscreen.

jaingaurav
Peasant Status

#19 Post by jaingaurav » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:46 am

Thank you November, this is response a lot of people who are looking for a solution on the Mac wanted. Boot camp is all great and all but that's not really a Mac solution, the thread says "Mac compatibility". It's no surprise that QFG2 would work in boot camp, but I think anyone could've figured that one out.

Thank you for your detailed response. I'll try this out tonight and post my results. I was currently holding off on a purchase of CrossOver Games. But if this works, I'm sold.

jaingaurav
Peasant Status

#20 Post by jaingaurav » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:25 am

So just to give my experiences with what November had recommended. I found that I needed a win98 bottle instead of a winxp bottle, YMMV. When trying to create a new character and add skills, I couldn't do this under a winxp bottle.

Also I'm not able to see the opening video in either the win98 or winxp bottle. I instead get the message "The video stream does not support IDirectDrawMediaStream Interface". I haven't tried Darwine, but I would imagine that CrossOver would handle this better than Darwine.

Overall though its fun to play this game finally, I know a lot of us have been waiting a long time for this game to come out. I look forward to playing it some more.

November
Peasant Status

#21 Post by November » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm using an XP bottle without issue. Make sure you are using the left-click/right-click to adjust stats in the creation screen. What you can do is make a new XP bottle and then just move your QFG2 folder from the Win98 to XP bottle, so you don't need to mess with anything further. To solve the video stream issue, just install DirectX's runtime into the bottle. That's actually a preset install you can do right from the Configure -> Install Software menu. Also worth trying out, head to Preferences and go to Installer Assistant and turn off all the 'Hide' options.

There's games out there where having the latest DirectX installed in a bottle is the key to making them work, which isn't really that surprising when you think about it.

tianuk
Peasant Status

#22 Post by tianuk » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:44 pm

Heroes_Do_Not_Talk wrote:
darkgamorck wrote:
Are you having any issues with the action submenu (run/walk/sneak/char/time/etc)? I am also running it on XP Pro via VMWF, and I cannot get it to work for me. It just blinks off as soon as I move the mouse. Basically prevents me from working a thief. :(
got the exact same problems mate! running it under VMware Fusion too...

i cant get it full screen too, if i choose 320 resolution it just makes it in a really really small box in the centre of the screen and ive tried the AGD solutions and they don't work.

so currently i cant sneak, run, sleep or anything also i can hardly see anything on the screen due to the resolution, if i increase the resolution it just gets to slow... to make matters worse im running it on a macbook so i only have up down left right and no up-right, up-left controls..

:( i waited sooo long for this gameee

tianuk
Peasant Status

#23 Post by tianuk » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:36 pm

Anyone reported any progress with this yet?

jaingaurav
Peasant Status

#24 Post by jaingaurav » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:48 pm

November wrote:I'm using an XP bottle without issue. Make sure you are using the left-click/right-click to adjust stats in the creation screen. What you can do is make a new XP bottle and then just move your QFG2 folder from the Win98 to XP bottle, so you don't need to mess with anything further. To solve the video stream issue, just install DirectX's runtime into the bottle. That's actually a preset install you can do right from the Configure -> Install Software menu. Also worth trying out, head to Preferences and go to Installer Assistant and turn off all the 'Hide' options.

There's games out there where having the latest DirectX installed in a bottle is the key to making them work, which isn't really that surprising when you think about it.
Hmm I had tried the right/left click in my winxp bottle before and it had problems, just tried it again and no issues. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Thanks for the DirectX tip, the opening video now works great.

It's great that CrossOver Games has allowed Mac users to still run windows games under Mac OS X. Without resorting to alternate heavy-handed solutions like VMWare and Parallels. Each has their place, but if CrossOver Games is able to make the app run, then it's usually better to avoid the virtualization.

We should post up a sticky with step-by step instructions for the Cross Over users. For the VMWare users, I honestly would recommend you to please look at CrossOver as a solution, I've found that the performance is often much better than what a virtual machine has to offer.

Azmilzak
Peasant Status

#25 Post by Azmilzak » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:07 am

Hey guys, I'm using Crossover 9.0 and I'm getting stuck on the winsetup part. It doesn't save the changes when I try to change from 320x200 to anything else. In fact, nothing seems to stick at all there. Did I miss a step somewhere?