Speech

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

daventry
Knight Status

Speech

#1 Post by daventry » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:12 pm

When will there be a Speech Package for QFG2VGA.

adeyke

Re: Speech

#2 Post by adeyke » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:18 pm

Never.

daventry
Knight Status

#3 Post by daventry » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:04 pm

noooooooooooooooooooo :p :D

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:18 pm

The forum 'search' button (up the top right) is your friend:

http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/search. ... mit=Search

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Almagnus1 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Honestly, this is one game that I hope they never release a speech pack for. I say this not because I doubt they can do a stellar job with it (the remake itself is of the same quality Sierra would have done years ago, if not surpassing that level of quality) - it, for whatever reason, doesn't seem like it'd do the game justice - as they'd have to hit the voices spot on.

This can be problematic to those of us who have been playing the QfG series for a very long time (and by that I mean since the games were released by Sierra many long years ago), and have an idea of what the characters who have never been voiced should sound like, and if AGDI doesn't hit that, it's gonna turn a lot of the long time QfG fans off.

That, and spontaneously giving QfGII VGA voice would not really fit in with the series, as QfGI VGA and QfGIII did not have voice, it was only QfGIV and QfG V that did (due to those being the newest of the series). The games are meant to be played sequentially, as episodes in a much larger game - which is what makes the Quest for Glory series unique - and spontaneously giving the second episode voice, but missing out on it in the third really doesn't seem like a very good idea.

GloomSaber
Peasant Status

#6 Post by GloomSaber » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:45 pm

I concur. Also I think it is a horrible idea because ppl would be disappointed if someone like Ad Aviz suddenly aquired a stereotypcial accent or if the hero has his own voice. i am not saying that AGD cannot do a good job in mimicing the voices of a few characters, but they may not have talent who can not only act, but also can do a good impersonation of the characters that had voices.

I mean, I think a good example is the TSL demo where a lof of the game's ppl are from the sixth game, are now voiced by ppl who either are found online or are working on the game. The end product is that a lot of the voices does not match the look of several characters, giving it an imperssion one is watchin a play. Although TSL has a lot of characters over the of 18, a lot of them sound like they are still in their prime, which isn't right.

Also, vetern voice actors can ablib their lines, which is why it is a treat to hear LOTR Grimil as the narrator or the three farmers talking. It is great hearin the narrator laughed after sayin "You told Ad Avis the ultimate joke" since it gives an imperssion that it is really funny w/o sayin the actual joke. Sorry to pick on tsl a 2nd time, but the narrator in the game sounds like she is reading a script since she is showin no actual emotion whatsoever.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:59 pm

Truthfully, I've never really understood the validity of that argument, particularly when you have the option to turn the voices off and relish in the fact that 'ignorance is bliss' by playing in text only mode if they bother you.

No matter what you do, you're never going to please 100% of people. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do something simply because a certain percentage won't be happy with the results. Conversely, a lot of people would be happy with speech too.

I wouldn't let a factor like individual's preferences stop us from doing a voice pack, as much as I would the amount of time and effort involved.

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Almagnus1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Truthfully, I've never really understood the validity of that argument, particularly when you have the option to turn the voices off and relish in the fact that 'ignorance is bliss' by playing in text only mode if they bother you.

No matter what you do, you're never going to please 100% of people. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do something simply because a certain percentage won't be happy with the results. Conversely, a lot of people would be happy with speech too.

I wouldn't let a factor like individual's preferences stop us from doing a voice pack, as much as I would the amount of time and effort involved.
That's a much stronger argument, with the record time for several thousand lines in the game, with well over 30 unique characters, that would take a very long time just to get it recorded. Having actually done studio recording before, this would take a lot longer than you'd think it would.

Yeah, I'm shooting from the hip with the estimates, but I think they are fairly accurate.

Combined with the editing time of the recordings, time required to synch dialogue with the portraits - not to mention the stuff that'd need to be rewritten to make life easier on the recording side - would take a very long time. Again, this would take a lot longer than you think it would, and due to the sheer volume of stuff in the game....

GloomSaber
Peasant Status

#9 Post by GloomSaber » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:29 am

True, but I was playing Devil's advocate on this thread with voice perefences. On the other thread, I used the time amount issue. There's my lame excuse :lol since you are right about the voices being turned off and ironically, I have said the same thing you said on a Phoenix Wright forum about a topic if Capcom should make the characters talk or not where the minority didn't voices for the reasons that the character would sound different and the gameplay would be long.