Combat Speed

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

RC-Cola
Peasant Status

Combat Speed

#1 Post by RC-Cola » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:43 pm

I'm sure if there were a way to change the combat speed separate of game speed it would be pretty obvious and I would use it, but I'm having a really difficult time in combat. I'm playing a thief character which might have something to do with my weak combat, but it feels like when fighting Uhura there's no chance I'd ever be able to dodge her attacks because it's going too fast.

I started playing with a bunch of the leet graphics options turned on (higher resolution) and combat was painfully slow. Then I changed to the native resolution as per the technical FAQ and combat became painfully fast. Is this a known issue or are my gaming reflexes just deteriorating?

Also, I know there's the autopilot stuff, but that just wouldn't feel like Quest for Glory anymore if I turned them all on and watched the combat blaze by.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Combat Speed

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:24 pm

There's been a couple of reports from battle apparantly going too fast, but I'm not sure if there's some obscure glitch that causes combat to go insanely fast on certain systems or if those people are simply not used to the more fast-paced action. That said, thieves can often partially avoid battle by sneaking up on enemies and taking a pot shot at them. I suppose making a movie file or something to demonstrate wouldn't be possible?

Goilveig
Knight Status

Re: Combat Speed

#3 Post by Goilveig » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:37 pm

Are you using an AMD multicore CPU?

There are issues with a very large number of games and AMD's implementation of the RDTSC command. Basically, on multicore CPUs, the timers on each core are desynched (as opposed to Intel, where all cores share a common timer).

AMD has a fix for this (basically forces the AMD CPU to emulate Intel's method):

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content ... _1.1.4.zip

It's called "dual core optimizer" but it works (and is needed to play many different games) on 3 or 4 core Phenoms as well.

Timing issues or timer BSODs ("A clock interrupt was not received...") are common symptoms of the issue.