My QFG2VGA Review

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

daventry
Knight Status

My QFG2VGA Review

#1 Post by daventry » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:53 am

This Game gets a 100 out of a 100, Very well done People. :hat

I love how you guys implemented the QFG3 Game into this Game and i still see some minor Old Graphics from the QFG2 EGA Game.

Now whats this New Saurus Shop and did the Coles planned it originnaly.

Its so Cool, but do i do anything there and what other Easter Eggs are there. 8o

One thing that Bugs me and what i already hate is the weird Combat thing, in the Old Game you click on a little Shield thingie on the right top of your Screen for Attack, Dodge, Cast Spell, now this new Combat thing is weird and stupid. Please fix it so that it match the Old Game so to speak. :o
Last edited by daventry on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: My QFG2VGA Review

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:50 am

The saurus repair shop was an easter egg that was cut from the final version. We included it since we didn't have to deal with a floppy limit. You can't actually do anything there...it's just an easter egg. As for rest, easter eggs are called that way because they need to be found. :)

As for the combat system...I never implemented mouse control because I just couldn't see it working. Combat is now done with hotkeys. I'm not sure what you find weird about the combat system, but I think you should take some time to get familiar with it, read up on what keys perform what actions and get the hang of it. I'm not gonna change the battle system to be a QFG3-clone...I could have done that at the start of the project and shaved off a year of development time.

hypn
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by hypn » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 am

daventry wrote:One thing that Bugs me and what i already hate is the weird Combat thing, in the Old Game you click on a little Shield thingie on the right top of your Screen for Attack, Dodge, Cast Spell, now this new Combat thing is weird and stupid. Please fix it so that it match the Old Game so to speak. :o
I also HATED the new combat system, and wished it was like the old one (HQ1's actually - it was the easiest), but once you get used to it you will love it - trust me :)

daventry
Knight Status

#4 Post by daventry » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:58 am

Oh ok, i will try and get used to it :p

was it easy to implement material from QFG3 and would it be easy for you guys to Remake QFG3 if you guys could and had the rights too. :)
Last edited by daventry on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:09 am

What material from QFG3 are you talking about?

And no, QFG3 would not be quick to remake either. Making a QFG-game is a long and hard process no matter what.

daventry
Knight Status

#6 Post by daventry » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:08 am

Uhura, Rakeesh, Hero Stats, The Spells and Menu System, i see like 30% of QFG3 is copied and pasted into QFG2 :p

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:47 am

Well, the only character sprites used directly from QFG3 were Uhura and Rakeesh's standard walk animations. But even they had to be edited and tweaked (such as adding the bandage around Rakeesh's leg). The majority of Rakeesh and Uhura's frames, which mostly comprise of combat sprites, all had to be created from scratch and simply look like they were taken from QFG3 because they had to match the original versions for consistency. The main pop-up menu/Special Actions menu is based on QFG3's design for authenticity (the same as KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA use KQ5's menu system), but the overall menu system was actually adapted to match the new GUI borders that Cornjob created for this remake. There are over 35 original menus in the game. I'm not sure how you calculated your figure of 30% (short of pulling some random figure out of your ear) but I'd hazard a guess that not even 1% of sprites in the entire game were loaned from QFG3. :D

But to answer your question, importing and using sprites from QFG3 or other QFG games was no more difficult than using our own sprites that we created exclusively for the remake.

daventry
Knight Status

#8 Post by daventry » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:26 pm

I did made a Walkthrough http://www.the-spoiler.com/RPG/Sierra/h ... t.2.3.html years ago for the Old Version of QFG2 witch does seem to be the same, but yours has a little Extra in it.
Last edited by daventry on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#9 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Nice walkthrough! Bummer. :rollin

papste
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by papste » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:38 pm

Absolutely loved the new combat system. In all other QFG games the combat was dull and boring, the remake makes combat exciting and character grinding fun!

daventry
Knight Status

#11 Post by daventry » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:58 pm

[quote="Anonymous Game Creator 2"]Nice walkthrough! Bummer. :rollin[/quote]I wonder if my Walkthrough will be used and then they can just add and take away what they want. :p

Any idea when this Website's Walkthrough be done :)

Broomie
The Enigma

#12 Post by Broomie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:04 pm

I really liked the combat system too! But I would have liked a on screen GUI which let you control the fighting with your mouse rather than switch to the keyboard. Yet that was my only gripe!

The game overall was a pleasant experience and I will be playing again with the fighter! I have a lot of free time so I will move onto QFG3 now!

Congratulations! If only Fanventures was around to see it.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#13 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Any idea when this Website's Walkthrough be done :)
Walkthroughs will cause your mind to succumb to atrophy, young man. Be a real Hero and play the game by exercising your own grey matter!

(Translation: We're not gonna make one.)

Phyber
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Phyber » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:03 pm

From my viewpoint as a person who have only played and completed QFG1vga,3,4,5 and never played qfg1ega and qfg2ega, i would say this qfg2vga is an extremely worthy addition to the series, It does feel very qfg3ish in terms of style, but thats not a bad thing at all.

An excellent remake in my opinion.
Its kindda sad though to know that although qfg2 is finally remade into VGA, the actual qfg series has ended its run, and sierra is no more. I promise i will take my time to slowly enjoy and savour every moment in QFG2. *tears*