Little Blue Jewelry Box

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Broomie
The Enigma

Little Blue Jewelry Box

#1 Post by Broomie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:30 pm

So, I'm on my third mission and I'm having trouble breaking into the jewelry box. Now, from past QFG logic if I want to do something but not have a high enough skill I just keep clicking until the appropriate stat raises and I pass that obstacle. There's a little blue box on the table that I don't remember in the original (it was probably there, but I didn't take it) but I would like to take whatever is inside as no doubt it's a lot. Can I take the contents of the little blue box or is it one of those things I can't take.

Do I just keep clicking or is there another way around it because I've even resorted to using the food on the box in my effort to try everything.

And because I haven't said it already... this is a beautiful remake and I'm having so much fun right now. It's a completely different experience to the original and I must say I'm enjoying this a lot more than the old version. Congratulations! :D

Colchek
Peasant Status

Re: Little Blue Jewelry Box

#2 Post by Colchek » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:32 pm

Your lock picking skill has to be pretty high in order to crack it.

Broomie
The Enigma

#3 Post by Broomie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:38 pm

I'm about 110 at the moment, what would you say is a fair estimate? Because it's going on forever.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:53 pm

The third breakin house is actually completely new. It didn't appear in the original.

As for the jewelry box, sorry but you need very high lock picking skill to open it. (around 170 or so) If your lock picking skill isn't around that number, I wouldn't encourage you to sit an hour trying to open it, since you're on a timer as long as you're inside. The item in the jewelry box is worth around 25 dinars if you sell it, but there's another item in the house you can swipe and sell for even more. Why not take that and save the box for another playthrough.

Broomie
The Enigma

#5 Post by Broomie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Ah, that explains why I don't remember that room than. I just presumed it was in the original seeing as much of the game's mechanics (apart from the real obvious ones) have been left the same.

And if it's only worth 25 dinars than I'll forget that one. Thanks for the tip!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:19 pm

there's something else you can sell in that room? On to the list of reasons to replay my thief it goes.

AtypicalChuck
Peasant Status

#7 Post by AtypicalChuck » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:10 pm

I really liked doing this break in :) Really clever stuff to steal and the guards really kept me on my toes. Great job!

papste
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by papste » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:22 pm

Never was able to get the 3rd job. After finishing the 2nd job (Issur's place) Dinarzad tells me that i have to lay low and out of trouble for awhile. Any ideas what im doing wrong?

AtypicalChuck
Peasant Status

#9 Post by AtypicalChuck » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:24 pm

I got the same misleading message! Wait until night-time on the 14th day.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by papste » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if i did anything wrong actually, cause after finishing the 2nd job and visiting Dinarzad for afew more days, trying to see if she would give me that 3rd job, i kept getting the message that i have already done enough and i should lay low for awhile (or something like that). So i just gave up on visiting her after the 10th day. Seems i should have persisted and not given up...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:39 pm

The new job offer is partially time-based. Even if you do the first two burglaries as soon as possible, Dinarzad will still tell you to stay low until day 13. Did anybody notice, btw, that Tom used Aubrey Hodges' QFG4 thief theme as inspiration for the background music?

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Morningstar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:13 pm

did I miss something apart from the thing in the box, the thing in the draw and the money bag??

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#13 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:25 pm

Perhaps you did. Perhaps you didn't. But remember this: you have a Point & Click interface at your disposal and at least one working eye (in all probability, two). So the best suggestion would be to use a combination of both in every game screen and be thorough. It kind of defeats the purpose of implementing any secrets into a game if people just want us to flat-out tell them all the answers within the first week.

Sometimes not knowing these things and the mere suggestion of something being there that isn't makes the game world seem more alive than it is. Remember, the FACS books always had descriptions of monsters that weren't in the games like a griffin was mentioned in QFG1's FACS book, and dragons are frequently mentioned, despite one never appearing in a QFG game until QFG5. On the other hand, finding something new 5 years later that you never knew existed before can be very exciting too. Personally, I'm not going to say another word about any of the so-far undiscovered easter eggs in the game You guys are on your own from this point on. Happy hunting! ;)

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Morningstar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 pm

I finally rose to the occasion.

soule
Peasant Status

#15 Post by soule » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:02 pm

I need help. How do you untangle the item in the blue box?

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by Morningstar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:23 pm

just a little thought, it's cutting-edge jewelry

soule
Peasant Status

#17 Post by soule » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks! I had tried it before, turns out I did not position the cursor properly the first time.

Regarding 'rising for the occasion', I can't seem to get close enough? Am I misunderstanding your clue?

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by Morningstar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:01 pm

I had a little help from Keapon Laffin :)

OmerMor
Peasant Status

#19 Post by OmerMor » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:45 pm

*** POTENTIAL SPOILER ***

I guess the 3rd valuable items are the silver scimitars above the doorway.
However - I failed to get those. If I get too close to the door, the floor will squeak (even though my stealth skill is maxed at 200). If I'm a little to the right/left, and use the magic rope to climb, I'm getting "You're not close enough" responses (just like in the old sierra games).

What am I doing wrong???

-- Omer.

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by ATMachine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:33 pm

Try standing under the scimitars and clicking the magic rope icon directly onto the scimitars.

Arastior
Peasant Status

#21 Post by Arastior » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:37 pm

OmerMor wrote:If I'm a little to the right/left, and use the magic rope to climb, I'm getting "You're not close enough" responses (just like in the old sierra games).
Hint: use the Force, Luke :)
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by ATMachine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:44 pm

That's only possible if your Thief has magic. I personally prefer to play each class straight, which means in this case using the rope to ascend.

Arastior
Peasant Status

#23 Post by Arastior » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:26 pm

As I guess, pure thief must have more advanced stealth skill.

Prio
Knight Status

#24 Post by Prio » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:40 pm

OmerMor wrote:I'm getting "You're not close enough" responses (just like in the old sierra games).
Keep trying from different heights on the rope. The positioning is kind of tricky.

OmerMor
Peasant Status

#25 Post by OmerMor » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Thanks!
Got the following from that room:
necklace, scimitars, pills, and money from purse (took purse first, almost got caught, returned it, and then stole from it).
The purse thing was fun, and when I first tried this room with less skill, I was only told that there is a heavy sack of coins, which I can't take in the cabinet. When I tried it again with max skills, I got the whole purse side-quest. cool!
-- Omer.