ATMachine's Secrets : Original QG2 WIP screens vs final QG2

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

ATMachine's Secrets : Original QG2 WIP screens vs final QG2

#1 Post by ATMachine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:21 pm

I thought I'd post this interesting little window into the development of the original QFG2. (Mods, if you feel this belongs in another forum, feel free to move it.)

The back of the original QFG2 box features these two screenshots:

This is from the final battle with Ad Avis. The Hero appears to be casting a spell, but I don't recognize the animation. Notice the sky in the background - a crescent moon hangs between two constellations. In the final game it's a full moon, and there aren't any constellations in the sky.

The original version of the Uhura combat screen. Apparently it took place on a regular fighting background, not the Guild Hall training room. Plus, here you can see Uhura's health and stamina levels. They weren't shown in the final game, but in QFG2VGA you do get a look at Uhura's stamina.

The finished version of the final battle.

The final look of combat with Uhura.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Original QG2 WIP screens vs final QG2

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:26 pm

I also remember a shot of the hero and his saurus watching over the desert with the griffin in the sky. (the griffin's combat sprite no less)

I think those shots on the cover were simply doctored.

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by ATMachine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Yeah, you're probably right that these were to some degree manufactured. Still, there are some interesting differences that were quite possibly really in the game at one point - notably the sky behind Ad Avis.

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#4 Post by eriqchang » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:07 pm

Anyone who hasn't visited ATMachine's adventure game oddities site should point their browser there immediately!

Click here to visit ATMachine's Museum of Adventure Game Oddities!

This site is, by far, one of the more interesting, mouth-watering candy shops full of adventure game information and secrets. It is truly an amazing collection of work and I am in awe of the investigation and detail work that's gone into it - each and every time I visit.

A unique site that gets my stamp of approval. Be sure to check it out. Hope you have half a day to kill!

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

Re: ATMachine's Secrets : Original QG2 WIP screens vs final QG2

#5 Post by Crowley9 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:19 pm

That sky in Addie's summoning chamber is something I wish would've remained in the final game. I can't remember the prophecy he recites, but that mentioned the moon rising between the Dragon and the Scorpion, right? Then again, he also laments how that is tomorrow, so I guess it makes more sense the way it ended up.

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by MacGyver » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:55 pm

Could the screenshot be taken from a non-PC version? Perhaps Mac or Apple?

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by ATMachine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:06 pm

No. Just about all of Sierra's Mac games were ported well after they were completed for the PC, with no significant differences (besides a general lack of thorough playtesting and therefore a lot more bugs).

It's not actually uncommon for box art screenshots to be completely different from the actual game - KQ1 SCI had a totally different design for Daventry Castle in an image on the box back, and Monkey Island 1 had a character closeup that was cut from the finished game due to disk space concerns.

bcrt2000
Peasant Status

#8 Post by bcrt2000 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:12 pm

ATMachine, your site has some great stuff. I stumbled upon it on the weekend :)

adeyke

#9 Post by adeyke » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Wow. I've used that site a lot in the past. Kudos :).

malekdarshin
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by malekdarshin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:21 pm

I have the "FM Towns PC version" of Loom. Actually if I remember correctly I found it on Underdogs where someone had noticed that the PC and FM Towns basic programming structure was the same, and that it was possible to swap the visuals. This person made a patch that worked with the original game to swap out the graphics. Worked like a charm.