combat system is better than any other QFG

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

superklown
Peasant Status

combat system is better than any other QFG

#1 Post by superklown » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:48 am

I am amazed with the combat system you created. qfg1vga combat is way too easy, qfg3 fighting is broken, qfg4 decent.
But combat in your game reminds me of the classic prince. Simple, yet effective. It's challenging and way better than the original qfg2 combat so mad props! :hat

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: combat system is better than any other QFG

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:53 am

reminds me of the classic prince
You mean before he changed his name to Image?

Glad to hear you're liking the combat system!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:45 am

Those crazy block/counter duels you can have with Rakeesh, Walid and Khaveen were directly inspired by Prince of Persia.

loh_key
Peasant Status

#4 Post by loh_key » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:10 am

I totally agree with the OP, the new system is fantastic. Way more challenging and addictive than any other QFG.

Kudos!

Heavenslaughing
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Heavenslaughing » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:57 pm

I emphatically agree. Before, I had liked QfG2 the best, and now its remake takes the palm. I'm even playing with a thief, who evidently gets the short side of the stick for combat, and I'm finding the system more interesting than any previous QfG. The system's challenging, and the combination of skill and training required to succeed executes perfectly what I think the series always intended. I haven't managed to achieve anything on hard mode so far--maybe that'll change when I play as a fighter. Is there any advantage to playing on the higher difficulty modes, other than the added challenge?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:19 pm

Not really, although since battles take longer and you have to attack and defend more, your skills grow faster.

As said in the other thread, thieves aren't really meant to do a lot of direct battle...just some melee fighting to finish off an already weakened opponent.

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by ulmont » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:16 am

I have to agree. Now I just wish there was some way to play the other QFGs with this combat system...it would be a lot more fun. :\

JohnWWells
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by JohnWWells » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:07 am

I found dodging to be extremely difficult due to the lightning-fast reflexes required, but loved the parry-counterslash-combo mechanics and the side kicking.

phathom
Peasant Status

#9 Post by phathom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:58 pm

The fighting system is excellent. Looking forward to playing Warrior next.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Asrai » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:31 pm

The thing that I'm loving most about the combat system is how much more satisfying practicing with Uhura is. That and the fact that I was able to take her down on the second try. In the original it would usually take me at least a few practice sessions before my hero was able to beat her. Now that my fighter's combat skills are just about maxed out it's fun seeing how many times in one session I can make her hit the floor just trying to use the different counterattacks. (I think it's just desserts for all the times she's thoroughly whipped my usual thief and/or wizard characters.)

Quiotu
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Quiotu » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 pm

I have to admit that I wasn't very keen on the combat at first, and started to look around these forums and register in order to get some more information about the new system. At first I was worried that it was suddenly based on button timing and player skill... which it was to a point before, but not to this degree. Maybe it's the fact that I played QFG1VGA to import a fighter first before playing this game, but the combat system seems like something you legitimately need to work on to get good at as a player.

And I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's a stark contrast compared to the rest of the series. I can already see that I'll thoroughly enjoy the combat once I have it down, but I also notice that I'll have to spend quite a few nights practicing to get my keypad twitching down right. I'm only a few days in, but the reactions I see here are informing me that I'll be enjoying it much more down the line when combat gets easier. I'm not used to QFG combat having a learning curve... I'll be patient with it, though. :)

daventry
Knight Status

#12 Post by daventry » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:28 pm

The Combat System is Horrible and i Hate it :cry

How do i run away. :|

Please for your first Patch, insert an Optional Setting for Fighting, so that we can click with the Mous on a Shield thingie like in QFG1 to Fight and Block and run away or something. :(

I keep dying all the time and its Torture, i havent even started the Game yet. :o

adeyke

#13 Post by adeyke » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:34 pm

Hit escape to escape.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#14 Post by Goilveig » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:41 pm

daventry wrote:The Combat System is Horrible and i Hate it :cry

How do i run away. :|

Please for your first Patch, insert an Optional Setting for Fighting, so that we can click with the Mous on a Shield thingie like in QFG1 to Fight and Block and run away or something. :(

I keep dying all the time and its Torture, i havent even started the Game yet. :o
I found it hard at first too (especially compared to QG1's trivially easy combat) but my recommendation is to train a while with uhura. Once you learn the system, you'll learn to really enjoy it.

You can also remap the combat keys to make it easier to control if you prefer an alternate layout (I swapped the middle and bottom rows of my numpad, as I prefer to have my dodge keys central, defense on the bottom and attack above). I found that saved on finger reaching.

(BTW, if you're a thief, you should be trying to have monsters dead/almost dead before they begin combat. Use stealth in the desert, and you can get a dagger throw from stealth which, if you hit, gives crazy insane bonus damage over a normal dagger toss).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:59 pm

Maybe you should remap the keys if you can't remember the default layout. Because I'm not really seeing myself create a panel with button you can click your mouse on with the current combat system. I mean, there's 15 buttons in total you get to use. How would you ever click the right ones in the heat of battle?

Uhura gives a tutorial to make you familiar with the battle system. Give it a try, it'll make more sense afterwards.

EZ
Peasant Status

#16 Post by EZ » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:08 am

Once I remapped the keys, I instantly had ten times the fun. This is the only QFG where I look forward to the combat, instead of just going through with a chore. Totally brilliant battle system and I would say some of the logistics displayed here are a fine example of how to do things right that most modern games should take heed of.

gutsman
Peasant Status

#17 Post by gutsman » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:26 am

Just got finished playing through with my fighter(now paladin:) and I loved the combat system. Huge improvement over the original games.

The only bad thing I could say about it was that block/parry seemed to be inferior to dodging for defense. Dodging was a lot easier to time(for me) and the counter moves were more powerful. Plus block/parry doesn't work at all against a lot of enemy attacks. I had mostly just switched to dodging exclusively about half way through the game. Blocking does use less stamina, but when you're walking around with over a hundred vigor pills that doesn't really matter.

Guess it's time to start my next playthrough through with the wizard. Looking forward to seeing how spellcasting in combat works now.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:54 am

I actually used blocking/countering more often most of the time since almost every normal attack can be blocked, but only high and low attacks can be countered with a dodge-based special. (plus the skullsplitter, while powerful, is difficult to pull off) Plus I always thought that multi-blocking looks badass.

OmerMor
Peasant Status

#19 Post by OmerMor » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:11 am

Erpy wrote:I mean, there's 15 buttons in total you get to use. How would you ever click the right ones in the heat of battle?Image
Actually - there's 16 buttons if you include the ESC key. </SmartAss>
:p
-- Omer.

Prio
Knight Status

#20 Post by Prio » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:02 pm

Erpy wrote:I actually used blocking/countering more often most of the time since almost every normal attack can be blocked, but only high and low attacks can be countered with a dodge-based special. (plus the skullsplitter, while powerful, is difficult to pull off) Plus I always thought that multi-blocking looks badass.
I used blocking/parrying against brigands, jackalmen, ghoul loogies (sometimes), and certain scorpions. Against terrorsaurs, I always dodged, and was fairly frantic about not losing ground (do yourselves a favor: get extra paranoid about the dreaded rushing headbutt). I found the skull-splitter so difficult to pull off that I'm skeptical of its usefulness -- except in one specific, but noteworthy, situation.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by Asrai » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm typically hopeless with arcade battle systems, but it didn't take too much practice for me to get good enough to hold my own in a battle. I've found that the skull-splitter is pretty useful against scorpions, while the uppercut (ermmm... or whatever the name of that couter attack you do after ducking a blow is... urgh, I'm too young to be this senile already!) is super useful against terror-sauruses.

I'm still working on my first playthrough with a fighter though. (If I'm enjoying the game this much with my least favorite class, I can't wait to see what they have in store for the others!) I admit, I'm a little scared of the idea of combat with a magic user. I can barely keep the buttons straight for the fighter, adding a bunch more for magic is going to be a challenge.

nightlite
Peasant Status

#22 Post by nightlite » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:40 pm

Combat is fairly cool. I think the game could use a few messages though... if you die early on fighting a tip to go train at Uhura's. If you're a thief in the desert at night, a tip to sneak around and use your dagger would be good as well. So, so easy to overlook your options in this game. ;)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#23 Post by Erpy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:57 pm

Yeah, but the point of adventure games is to explore and find out things for yourself.

CDA_91
Peasant Status

#24 Post by CDA_91 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:02 pm

Yeah I found it really hard at the start, I got seriously frustrated losing to brigands but once I trained up parry I LOVED it.

Best moment was about against a brigand when we blocked each others attacks about ten times in a row with no pauses XD

And I'm ashamed that I had to turn down difficulty against Khaveen, the fights were epic but after about 10 times on medium and *almost* killing him twice I just found it too hard.

Only problem is the random jumpback/forward leap attack is a bit overpowered I think, once you've got 200 agility it happens almost every time you dodge and makes beating Walid and Rakeesh in particular incredibly easy. Only fault right there!