The "Thanks" thread!

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

RogerKorby
Peasant Status

Re: The "Thanks" thread!

#76 Post by RogerKorby » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:40 am

Wow ive been waiting for this for so long and i could not be more happy with the game

thank you agdi

Cadbury Wookie
Royal Scribe

#77 Post by Cadbury Wookie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:47 am

This being the only AGDI title I've not been involved in, I have had the (stress-free) privilege of watching this game develop over the many years. I still feel the awe I did way back then, seeing so much talent combine to produce a fantastic result.

Ok, I'm biased.

Nevertheless, I congratulate every team member for stricking it out. You guys are awesome.

JohnBristol,paladin
Peasant Status

#78 Post by JohnBristol,paladin » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:13 pm

Well, I just have to say one things:

THANKS! So far the game has been over my expectations.

I've been waiting for some years for this game and when it finally was done I downloaded it, installed it and luckily I could find my old character files. After putting them and importing my old character John Bristol, fighter (soon to become a paladin), I set out on the quest. Of course I don't want to play with simplified streets, since I have visited the city at least 20 times before I know it as the back of my hand. Already I get some surprises. Where I remember dreary dark alleyways I get light cheerful colours and what is this a barrel? Didn't remember seeing that before. All in all a pleasant experience. I find my way to Dinarzad, exchange some coins and then I go and visit the Adventurer's Guild. Of course I want to practice my sword skills and here I get a surprise. Uhura beats me and bad! So the already excellent combat system has been changed, no not changed it has been improved! It outshines every other Quest for glory game!

IT'S BRILLIANT! Strategy is back in the game!

I get out in the desert and meet a brigand, well I will beat them they were simple. But what is this?! He THROWS DAGGERS at me! That..., that is just unfair! It should be me throwing daggers at him, not the other way around!

I suspect that the game will throw more of these surpises at me and I can not wait to see them! :) Thanks again for this loving remake of a classic and a personal favourite of mine!

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#79 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:30 am

I only have one thing to say...

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!! :hat

Seriously, though, it's great to see that it's finally all finished up. For those who didn't have the pleasure of being involved, even in a small part, with this project (and what I did was very small, despite how much Chris tried to make it sound otherwise, when compared to the massive amount of stuff that was done on this project :) ) it would be impossible to describe in words the kind of patience and dedication that these guys have. It's truly awe-inspiring. Due to real-life issues and other things I wasn't able to keep up with the team in the way they truly deserved, but in the short time I was 'behind the scenes' I could tell that if anyone could accomplish an undertaking like this, it was these guys, especially Chris and Erpy. I often wondered if those two had some sort of a fixture in the back where every couple days they just popped in a couple new D-Cell Energizers and kept on at it, because the amount of work they could churn out in such a short time was, and is, nothing short of remarkable. Truth be told I almost feel guilty even being mentioned in the intial post, but it's truly an honour to have been a part of this project, and to have worked with such awesome individuals.

TBH, though, I haven't even had a chance to play it yet (just got your email today, Erpy 8)) ) so I'll be off to download it shortly. I remember what it was like back when I was just putting in the dialogs and streets, and I can only imagine what it's become since then with the magical hands that were left to craft it. It was quite a shock to open up the AGDI main page and see a big QFG2 page (which looks incredible, BTW, so a big thumbsup to whoever did it!) instead.

Anyway, sorry I've been MIA or AWOL or what have you, but it just needed to be said to those who weren't as lucky as I was to have been able to work with you guys just how truly dedicated and talented you lot are. I have NO doubt that the work speaks for itself, but there's nothing wrong with a second opinion either, yeah? ;)

~Wolfgang

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#80 Post by Brainiac » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:36 am

Wolfgang's back! Woohoo! Now someone go drag The Knight back kicking and screaming. :p

rosel1
Knight Status

#81 Post by rosel1 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:57 am

I just wanted to let everyone know how very much I enjoyed working with you on QFG2. I've played through it and it looks fantastic! It is so cool to see the end result...and most of all...to read the positive feedback! :D

gamecreator
Knight Status

#82 Post by gamecreator » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:34 am

The fond memories being stirred as well as new ones being introduced has proven to be an especially pleasant combination. While most who are honest can find things to nitpick, I'm impressed with how many elements, new and old, were so skillfully implemented.

Thank you for your hard work, your devotion and artistic judgment (to choose only three).

Psycho_Kenshin
Peasant Status

#83 Post by Psycho_Kenshin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:00 am

You've done well, AGD crew! This is amazing. Remaking a classic, for the fans, it's a cool thing to do.

:smokin

OwMyHead
Peasant Status

#84 Post by OwMyHead » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:35 am

Thank you thank you! This remake is so fantastic and I'm having an absolute blast playing the game.

Wonderful work, all around!

Mesto
Peasant Status

#85 Post by Mesto » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:50 am

Long time lurker, first time registeree.

Big CONGRATS to you all AGDI! You've done an absolutley wonderful job on the remake, with plenty of extra tidbits for us veterens to keep entertained via easter egg hunting!

You guys ROCK! :hat

Schrijvertje
Peasant Status

#86 Post by Schrijvertje » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:28 am

Excellent remake, I've only played the original versions of QFG 1 & 2, now I'll probably play the whole series. This game is a longtime favorite, though I must admit the fighting in this remake is a lot harder than in the original.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#87 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:35 am

It is...in the original quickly tapping the attack keys and ignoring defense was usually enough to see you through, QFG2VGA forces you on the defensive a lot more...but once you get into it, it's a lot more rewarding.

XboxNation
Peasant Status

#88 Post by XboxNation » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:53 pm

Hells yah. This game ROCKS!

You guys did a huge accomplishment here! The Coles did a great thing then. You totally honored their labor of love with this one, and went above and beyond!!!

The wait, quite naturally, was worth it. I get to say "I told you so" to those who I told I would tell them so. I'm totally impressed.

Heavenslaughing
Peasant Status

#89 Post by Heavenslaughing » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:28 pm

I posted one thank-you and congrats in the general forum in response to the long-awaited release date announcement, and now that I've finished the game, let me say thank you and congratulations again. Well done. Superb. True to the original with just enough twists to make it thoroughly worthwhile. I hope you all feel very proud of yourselves. Sit back and have a pizza.

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#90 Post by ATMachine » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:09 pm

Heavenslaughing wrote:Sit back and have a pizza.
OH SNAP! You don't know what you've said there. :lol

I haven't posted in this thread yet so Kudos to all the AGDI team! I'm extremely impressed with the thorough attention to detail that you guys put in. Modifying the character sprites to match other VGA games, for example. But nothing can top the pilgrimage to Oakhurst in order to see the original design documents - and use them to reimplement lost features. That is true dedication.

njspannaus
Peasant Status

#91 Post by njspannaus » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:20 am

Man, this game is really really great.. A good remake fully encapsulates what made the original work, but it should also expand and improve upon the original--QfG2vga does both and looks beautiful doing it.. This isn't just a welcome addition to the franchise, I believe it is the "definitive" version of QfG2.. i love the new art, the revised combat system, all the extra content, etc. etc.. you guys really have created something special.. congratulations!

nuble
Peasant Status

#92 Post by nuble » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:57 pm

Okay, i've been holding out on registering just to post a thanks, but i figured you guys deserve at least that.

I love the remake to bits.

I never played QFG2 much, because i was 11 and english wasn't my local tongue so typing in commands was frustrating; i did go through the game twice or thrice with help from walkthroughs, but never explored it as thoroughly as i did other games in the series.

But here's the thing: after playing the remake for a week now, i don't remember QFG2 being anything that's not this. It's almost as if this was the very same game i played almost 10 years ago.

You guys deserve 3 internets.

Corsair
Royal Servant Status

#93 Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:41 pm

Bravo.

There really isn't much I can say. I've already beaten the game with a Fighter, and I'm about halfway through on a Thief. This game is nearly flawless. When you set out to remake QFG2, you didn't cut any corners - this looks and plays like it was professionally remade by the original team. The Combat System is insanely fun, although it can be very difficult, particularly when fighting Khaveen or Terrorsauruses, but I love a good challenge.

I eagerly look forward to whatever you guys do next, either as AGDI or Himalaya.

Sinergy
Peasant Status

#94 Post by Sinergy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:11 pm

Thank you AGD -->-->@ :o you're very very pretty for programmers

mhoffman16
Peasant Status

#95 Post by mhoffman16 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:10 pm

Just downloaded it, and thought i would fire off my thanks before i even installed it. Never bothered to register till today, but i've been reading the site for several years, and i really want to thank you guys for taking the time to do this. Keep an old 486 around to play the old games but this is even better. Thanks again. I did some programming many years ago, but never stuck w/it, way too much staring at code that seemed right the whole time but was missing just that one little thing.

Adamvs
Peasant Status

#96 Post by Adamvs » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:37 am

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking on the site and forums since the QFGII remake was announced, but never posted since I'm not online much. Now that the game's done, I wanted to say thanks for the remake. It's great and all your hard work really shows.

Much appreciated (except by my dissertation, which will never be completed now...)
Adamvs

njspannaus
Peasant Status

#97 Post by njspannaus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:41 am

njspannaus wrote:Man, this game is really really great.. A good remake fully encapsulates what made the original work, but it should also expand and improve upon the original--QfG2vga does both and looks beautiful doing it.. This isn't just a welcome addition to the franchise, I believe it is the "definitive" version of QfG2.. i love the new art, the revised combat system, all the extra content, etc. etc.. you guys really have created something special.. congratulations!
just to add to this....

the music is really a high-point for this game.. i really like the music that plays during the tightrope stunt in front of the guild hall... typically, in almost every game i play, i set the music to 0 (leaving the sound effects on) and simply listen to "real" music during gameplay (ie. cds, mp3s, radio, etc.).. this has been one of the rare games where i honestly have no inclination to do that..

ps. i bought the original QfG2 on day one of its release.. so count me as one of the many people who've been looking forward to this for a loooooong time!

MablungHeavyHanded
Peasant Status

#98 Post by MablungHeavyHanded » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:20 am

Thanks a million, guys. The amount of sheer love you guys have poured into this game really shows. I can't wait to go secret hunting for my second time through!

rado907
Peasant Status

#99 Post by rado907 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:32 pm

I'm glad you guys finally completed the project after so many of years of work. Congratulations on finishing, and thanks!

AlastorBosch
Peasant Status

#100 Post by AlastorBosch » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:57 pm

I was eleven or twelve when I first heard about Quest for Glory, a year or two after HQ1 came out - I had used it (via an old Sierra video brochure (unsuccessfully)) in an attempt to get my folks to buy me a computer at home. So, I played it my boarding school every chance I got. Oh sure I had SQ and KQ on the Apple II or old DOS PCs before QfG, but QfG is the series that has stuck with me forever. I can still recall the first time I loaded up QFG4 at a friend's house, or purchasing QFGV brand new from the store. And yet, like many of you, QfG 2 is one of my absolute favorites. This remake only further solidifies that belief. I generally have little interest in the AGS programming community, but I can easily imagine the hours of hard work and intensive labor the lot of you went through to give us this remake. Your love for the series comes through very, very well in this work you've done.::tips his imaginary hat to the AGDI team and Tom::

Maybe next, you could do a VGA remake of Conquests of Camelot?