Preparing for QFG3 (some spoilers)

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Goilveig
Knight Status

Preparing for QFG3 (some spoilers)

#1 Post by Goilveig » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:01 am

If people are planning to play into QFG3 with your chars, here's some hints on how to get the most out of it:

1. Items which transfer over:
  • HP pills
  • MP pills
  • Poison Cure pills
  • Throwing daggers
  • Rations
(You'll have others, such as the thieves' toolkit or sword/chainmail, etc, but you start with that in QFG3 whether you had one or not in QGF2)

The best thing to do, on day 16, wait until "Sunset approaches". Go to the inn, get the reward from Omar, and spend all but 5 dinars (which you'll want in Rasier) on HP/MP pills. Ignore SP pills, they don't transfer. HP and MP pills are *really* pricey in QFG3 (3x base cost, AND money is quite a bit harder to come by) so importing hundreds is not a bad plan at all. I barely needed HP pills on my fighter, but for a mage MP pills are probably gonna be used like crazy if you're leveling all spells. Don't bother with trying to stock rations, there's an insanely cheap food source in 3. Daggers, as many as you normally would want plus a few spares if you're prone to lose them (keep in mind Ad Avis fight consumes some throwables too).

2. Genie stats:

The hardest stats in QFG3 to level up are:
* Climbing (impossible to practice anywhere) -- thanks Braniac
* Luck (very slow)
* Intelligence (for non-magic users)

You have 150 points between the two genie wishes and the 50 points you get at import.
For a thief, I'd recommend 100 points go into climbing (that is, use one genie wish and then put all 50 import points) and use the other genie wish for luck.
For a fighter/magicless paladin, 75 into luck, 75 into int (wish for each of them, and then 25 import points to each)
For a wizard, I'm not really sure. I think 75 luck and the rest into Str/Agi is best but need to finish QGF3 on the wizard.
Last edited by Goilveig on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

Re: Preparing for QFG3 (some spoilers)

#2 Post by CGG » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:14 am

Goilveig wrote: For a fighter/magicless paladin, 75 into luck, 75 into int (wish for each of them, and then 25 import points to each).
Keep in mind that in the remake wishing for weapon use/strength, agility/dodge, parry/vitality will unlokc *additional* combinations for the endgame fights.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:15 am

Goilveig wrote:The hardest stats in QFG3 to level up are:
* Pick Locks (impossible to practice anywhere)
Heh. Someone just made the same mistake I did. Pick Locks is practicable. In particular, the chest in the Laibon's Hut can be used to max out (just bring a lot of Pool of Peace water if you've got to go 100 points or more) as long as you keep picking the lock over and over before actually opening the thing. As I recall, this is also be true for the Leopardman Chief's chest. It's Climbing that cannot be maxed out. The one place that requires it is the tree towards the end of the game, but once you go up it, you never can climb it again.

Just exchange Climbing for Pick Locks in your information and it's all fine. This is the reason that I don't bother giving my multiclass Paladin characters Climbing.

SierraFan1885
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by SierraFan1885 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:19 am

I forgot...if your a fighter and have a lockpick, does it transfer to Tarna? Does the old pick nose trick work there as well?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:22 am

SierraFan1885 wrote:I forgot...if your a fighter and have a lockpick, does it transfer to Tarna? Does the old pick nose trick work there as well?
As I recall, thief equipment carries over regardless of class (not that you'll need it anyway). However, the "pick nose trick" never extended past QfG2 (hence why Goilveig thought it wasn't practicable).

Goilveig
Knight Status

#6 Post by Goilveig » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:03 am

Yeah, I'd never actually tried to practice on that chest, my bad >< and for some reason I thought there was a place to practice climbing apart from the monkey tree at the end. Haven't played through 3 on the thief yet (I always dread that one, there's so little thiefy stuff to do).

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Crowley9 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:36 pm

Brainiac wrote:
Goilveig wrote:The hardest stats in QFG3 to level up are:
* Pick Locks (impossible to practice anywhere)
Heh. Someone just made the same mistake I did. Pick Locks is practicable. In particular, the chest in the Laibon's Hut can be used to max out (just bring a lot of Pool of Peace water if you've got to go 100 points or more) as long as you keep picking the lock over and over before actually opening the thing. As I recall, this is also be true for the Leopardman Chief's chest.
However, this sounds like it is only applicable if the hero is of the actual thief class.

Bees
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Bees » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:37 pm

Just on note on the boosting of climbing skill in QFG3: It's easy!

In the Simbani village, go to the game with the two logs. Click the hand icon on the left-side rope (not the logs, or you will overshoot). You can hold down the Enter key to climb up and down it repeatedly. Watch your stamina, drink pool water, repeat. That will max your climbing very quickly.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Is this before or after you learn about the nature of the wrestling bridge? As I recall, this does not work (at least not after Uhura shows you the moves on the bridge).

Bees
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Bees » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:54 am

I am pretty sure (erm, 85%) that you can do it even after Uhura teaches you the game, as long as you continue to click in the right spot.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:15 am

Hmmm. I just tried it and got nothing. Think you could show us some screenshots (or even better, a video) indicating what you mean? After all, the long-term thinking online has been Climbing is not maxable; we need some proof.