The "Thanks" thread!

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Chief
Knight Status

Re: The "Thanks" thread!

#101 Post by Chief » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:15 pm

FYI - this one is the last of their remakes. From now on they are focusing on original titles with Himalaya Studios.

AlastorBosch wrote:I was eleven or twelve when I first heard about Quest for Glory, a year or two after HQ1 came out - I had used it (via an old Sierra video brochure (unsuccessfully)) in an attempt to get my folks to buy me a computer at home. So, I played it my boarding school every chance I got. Oh sure I had SQ and KQ on the Apple II or old DOS PCs before QfG, but QfG is the series that has stuck with me forever. I can still recall the first time I loaded up QFG4 at a friend's house, or purchasing QFGV brand new from the store. And yet, like many of you, QfG 2 is one of my absolute favorites. This remake only further solidifies that belief. I generally have little interest in the AGS programming community, but I can easily imagine the hours of hard work and intensive labor the lot of you went through to give us this remake. Your love for the series comes through very, very well in this work you've done.::tips his imaginary hat to the AGDI team and Tom::

Maybe next, you could do a VGA remake of Conquests of Camelot?

crimsonmansion
Peasant Status

#102 Post by crimsonmansion » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:11 am

I must tackle hug all you delicious creators of the Quest for Glory II game...honestly I have been waiting a long time for this to come around, and I became uber enthusiastic and crazy when I discovered that it had been released (scaring those around me with my war cry). Sierra games have always been a favorite of mine since I began playing them at a young age; the puzzles, graphics, humor, plot, and amazing characters have always been a delight to the senses.

Thank you all for spending so much time and energy into re-vamping this amazing game; the creativity that you have all shown is nothing short of stunning. ::tacklehugs::

Steamrabbit
Peasant Status

Can I make a donation?

#103 Post by Steamrabbit » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:38 pm

Is there a Paypal link somewhere that I'm just not seeing? I was hoping to send you guys a small donation in gratitude for finishing this project.

adeyke

#104 Post by adeyke » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:22 pm

Direct donations to AGDI aren't possible. If you want to support them, the best way would be to buy Al Emmo.

Hatta
Peasant Status

#105 Post by Hatta » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:40 am

Wow, this is fantastic. I cannot tell you how much QFG meant to me as a kid. I just watched the credits and I got chills. Just amazing work.

It even seems to work ok in wine (1.1.4)! It's missing an intro video I think, but that's ok.

This sounds like a great excuse to run through the entire series again. Whee!

cerindclvr
Peasant Status

#106 Post by cerindclvr » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:14 pm

Just got finished beating the game with the fighter and magic user, and I must say I hardly stopped to take a breath. What an excellent remake... not only does it manage to recapture the original with shiny new graphics, but the finishing touches somehow improved upon one of the best adventure games in one of the best adventure game series in existence. The combat system immediately springs to mind as one of those flourishes; the fighting (which was probably best in the series to begin with) entertained me as much as most modern games' fighting... Even the little jokes that weren't there before gave me a chuckle.

TO KEEP THINGS SHORT thanks so much! I've been watching for a good six years in anticipation and expectation, and it couldn't have been better.
I'm off to play the thief now, and I do so with a hint of sadness, like opening the last Christmas present...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#107 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:33 pm

Great to hear you enjoyed playing it so much.

Ronkaperplexous
Peasant Status

#108 Post by Ronkaperplexous » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:58 am

Just dropping in to say thanks to all you wonderful brilliant game-making people, you. I am in awe, not only of the end product, but also of all the time, work, and dedication it took to make it. It's a job more than well done, and I for one am wholly appreciative.

Although I've been a fan of classic Sierra since I could walk, I never actually played Quest for Glory before this. I'd heard of the game, but was put off by the idea of mixing RPG elements into the Sierra “Quest” format, and so I never paid much attention to it. I see that I made a mistake. The story and the gameplay are solid, it's funny, and the puzzles are fun.

Because I'd never played QfG before this, it was pretty tough for me to get into it, and my first few tries were disastrous. I died three times in my first ten minutes of gameplay: once from fighting brigands, once from fighting a scorpion, and once (sigh) from lock picking. (That last was the most disheartening; I hadn't saved for a while because I didn't think I was doing anything dangerous and then suddenly, BAM! Sierra death.) I also couldn't find the Moneylender, and spent two (real world) days wandering the city, trying to find her. And then once I found her, I asked Alichica about Shapeir and he gave perfect directions to her asdfghjklasdfghjkl; anyway. It was frustrating, but the good kind of frustrating. Sierra frustrating.

I'll also gush a bit about the combat system. I also wasn't looking forward to the fighting, since I'm not an RPG-er, but now I think it might be my favourite part of the game. Building up stats was kind of addictive, and I was always eager to try out a new move Uhura would give. My favourite monster to fight is the Terrorsaurus; there's no reward, but I get a thrill every time I dodge one of its attacks.

Anywho, I think I'll stop gushing about the game because if I don't now I never will. The graphics, the music, the gameplay was all awesome, in both senses of the word. Thanks, team AGDI! You're the bees' knees. :D

-Ronka

Fender178
Knight Status

#109 Post by Fender178 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:45 am

Even though Im new to the QFG Series and I recently played through HQ1(QFG1) I really like the Remake of QFG2 so far and what I liked is the Simple map walkthrough as well as getting 25 skill points to distribute after you import your character. (like you get character skill points in QFG4 after importing your character). Also Im interested in buying your commercial title Al Emmo.

whoooooopi
Peasant Status

#110 Post by whoooooopi » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:05 am

Been about two weeks since I last said thank you, and I want to thank you again already. Such a gift you've given to the masses (me included).

Thank you again and well done all around.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#111 Post by Solarkid » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:59 pm

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNKKKKKKKKKYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUU VEEERRRRRRRYYYY MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No but seriously, I love this game so incredibly much, it's not only inspired me to play it alot, it's inspired me to play all the qfg games a lot.

Dave

Tobriand
Peasant Status

#112 Post by Tobriand » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:37 pm

Just another person dropping by to say thanks! QFG 2 was about the third adventure game I played, and was amazing. Influenced the style of fantasy I liked for years and years, and made me really terrified of coming across a real water elemental (and, of course, kinda hopeful too - it's always that way with the proverbial monster under the bed when you're less than 10). So I was always really sad that Sierra never remade it in VGA the same way they eventually did with the first one.

As such, by even taking on the job and releasing, you've done a brilliant job. But not only that, you've tweaked, added, and kept everything feeling exactly like the original - but just a bit more polished. If this was 10 years ago, and this was a commercial version, I'd have bought it, no question. Basically, you've made one of my childhood computing dreams come true.

So yeah. Thanks!

Now to try and get 3 and 4 working in XP... I wonder how Dosbox likes them....?

c_young
Peasant Status

#113 Post by c_young » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:23 pm

Tobriand: Dosbox loves qfg3, getting qfg4 to work with sound is another story. Though if you have qfg4 cd, install it under WIndows and set it up for compatability with Win 95, 256 color, 640 x whatever res and you should be set.

To AGDInteractive; fabulous, wonderful, selfless job you have done. I only played qfg1 in the 16 color, got spoiled by the VGA version so I had a hard time playing 2 in the 16 color parser. Thank you very much for reopening this fabulous world to me and so many others. I will be buying your games to "donate" for such a job well done! Now that I have kids of my own I look forward to introducing them to this rich story line that I so enjoyed when I was a wee little kid :)

Zaenom
Peasant Status

#114 Post by Zaenom » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:35 am

May I bask in the brilliance of your presence?

QFG2 is my least favorite of the five games (too linear, too much time wasted sleeping until those damn elementals show up), though its climax (raseir) remains my favorite part of all five games... Just the opposite of QFG4 (damn good storyline all the way, failed climax : still hate the rituals summoning part). Yet, your remake stole fourth seat to QFG5 in my list. Awesome work!

First thing to come to my mind is Tom's soundtrack. I had been waiting for it since he announced his participation in the remake process. The original work remained almost intact while he added atmosphere where it definitely lacked before (I love the adventurers' guild's atmosphere now, and the music for crossing the rope on the plaza was really entertaining). The variations of the battle themes were a great idea, though Tom was not bold enough to my taste. The differences are too small. He could have for instance hinted to QFG4 in the ghoul battle theme. But despite that, I enjoyed the soundtrack a lot.

One thing blew me away (like many, I guess) : the battle system. With a little patience at first (tutorial and some training with Uhura), this is a jewel! I'm old school and would certainly enjoy playing as any QFG character in a 2-player fighting game using this system. The sound effects also added a lot to the experience. The only problem is maybe the lack of enemies to fight in Shapeir. After 16 days of fighting scorpions, brigands, jackalmen, ghouls and saurii, even this awesome battle system can't save the boredom. Raseir is so refreshing!

The artwork didn't surprise me. I knew exactly what to expect from talents I was lucky to witness almost a decade ago and kept an eye on ever since. Except maybe for some characters' design (matter of taste), it's exactly as it should have been. Hard work never disappoints! Although not surprised at the result, just thinking about your dedication is orgasmic. Character design and coloring backgrounds takes time but is still fun, but working on those sprites must have been hell. So many different characters walking everywhere, the fighting animations... What a pain! I'm in awe!

Another very good upgrade : I almost enjoyed walking in the alleys! Adding the background above the walls and some stuff in the streets really made it a less painful experience to go through. What were they thinking when they made that thing in the first place anyway? And that's still the best way to train your stealth (never understood why travelling in the city using the map didn't cost you time and stamina and raise your skills, like walking in the alleys the hard way does).

I'll conclude by saying I'm not going to play the original QFG2 ever again. This is QFG2 to me now. Thank you! Not only for this remake, but for your hard work on keeping adventure games alive.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#115 Post by Erpy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks for the kind words RZ. Glad to hear you got to enjoy the game to the full potential Trial by Fire had to offer.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#116 Post by Gronagor » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:31 am

Wow! The magnificent RomanZaenom!

Been years my friend! Great to hear from you!

dovster_2000
Peasant Status

#117 Post by dovster_2000 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi AGDs

I guess you guys have heard this a few times since it came out but I jus wanted to thank you guys for all your work. I´ve been following the development for years and I am really excited for you guys that it is finally out.

thanks again
dovi

xlynx99
Peasant Status

#118 Post by xlynx99 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:55 pm

Dear creators,

After being impressed with the KQ2 remake, I must have followed the QFG2VGA development for about 6 years.
I recognise that QFG2 is a relatively large and complex game compared to the KQ series, what with stats, time and classes, and I'm amazed you not only pulled it off, but pulled it off well. Damn well.

The game is virtually flawless.

The skareens are what I was expecting (superb for the bit depth and resolution supported), and the day/night transitions are really well done.
The animations (eg. combat) are really great too. I also enjoyed the panning skareens, including the desert battle transitions.
The music is awesome. I am not sure which bits are all new compositions, but as mentioned in the original post, it all blends seamlessly.

The alley system is a massive improvement, and I love the ambient sounds there (but why do I hear elephants?).

The combat system is awesome and easily the best of the series. For the first time I actually enjoyed the QFG combat. To give you an idea of how much, I played as thief and maxed out my combat stats, ending up with so much money that I exceeded my weight limit even after dropping sand and stones :)

I am impressed at your inclusion of the text parser and hybrid dialogue systems, and also enjoy the ability to walk with the keyboard when I choose to!
I like how you still have to type answers when quizzed by Aziza and in the voice guarding Ibilis so it's not too easy.
Taking the time to add import/export of characters also deserves a big nod.

I think I actually have a hint of comprehension in what a massive undertaking it was remaking all those subtle details. The entire conversation tree alone makes this a more accurate remake than Sierra themselves ever attempted.

Thanks to your remake, I have introduced the QFG series to two previously lucasarts exclusive adventurers who are scared of the keyboard :rolleyes
This game is rock solid quality and definite fun. My favourite part of this game is thief job #1.

After several late nights, I finished with 495 of 500 points :)
Now to play again as the magic user...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#119 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks for the kind post. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it so much.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#120 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:23 pm

xlynx99 wrote:The alley system is a massive improvement, and I love the ambient sounds there (but why do I hear elephants?).
This is where they migrated to after they left Mordavia. :lol

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#121 Post by Boogeyman » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:50 am

I also wanted to say thanks (even though my Hero can't dagger a Brigand to death even though he could easily in the original), however, there is an asshole called The Mad Hatter who thinks you suck! You needn't worry about him, I've turned him into a frog.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#122 Post by DrJones » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:23 am

Are you sure it is the 'Mad Hatter' and not the 'Mad Hater'? :lol

Meerbat
The Winged Suricate

#123 Post by Meerbat » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:40 pm

It's been a long time and I am not even sure people here remember me, but wanted to stop by and congratulate you on a very enjoyable and replayable remake of QFG2.
This was one of the first forums I ever posted in and it resulted in my involvement in several ags projects. So I know what it feels like to have worked on a game for years and finally release it. (I will save the shameless plugs for our games for later.)

I had not played the original QFG2 (apart from 3 game days just to see what it felt like) and was waiting for the remake to come out for about as long as most of the people on this board. After all those years I absolutely enjoyed playing the game and was not disappointed. It had the authentic Quest for Glory feel to it, with a rich story and many colorful characters. The new graphics, portraits, and other additions to the game only enhanced the experience.
I especially liked the combat system and it didn't find it too hard or annoying at all. I have pretty bad reflexes and played through with a fighter at the hardest setting without problems (except for the final battle, which was a bit too challenging for me but that means that it had the right difficulty). Maxing out combat skills was also not too hard, but even enjoyable. Congratulations on making the best combat system of the series!
I also really enjoyed the side quests and mini games. This was a very ingenious way to practice some spells, though it almost made me wish for a third game (perhaps with the geezers at WIT or with the Dervish), which would involve all other spells too. (A minor issue with Aziza's game is that a player can get trapped in a "dead end" situation, in which case the only option is to quit and let Aziza win. It happens when you have the fire elemental on an earth tile, surrounded by two water tiles. It is fun when it happens to Aziza though...)
So, once again, congratulations on a job well done. I wish that the successes of your remakes and the experience you've gained after the release of your first own project will lead to many new high-quality adventure games from your team.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#124 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks for the kind post, Meerbat.
A minor issue with Aziza's game is that a player can get trapped in a "dead end" situation, in which case the only option is to quit and let Aziza win. It happens when you have the fire elemental on an earth tile, surrounded by two water tiles. It is fun when it happens to Aziza though...)
It's not a dead end. Simply mess with the pillars on that particular tier until one is in front of you and one is behind you. The earth zone will no longer be affected by the water zones and will light up due to your fire elemental occupying it.

kijikun
Peasant Status

#125 Post by kijikun » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:42 am

Stellar game. I'll actually be using the remake of Quest for Glory 2 as part of poster session/demonstration at the Medieval Institute this spring. My focus is the Quest for Glory games as a knight errant tale.

Thanks to the new game and interface showing off some of the elements will be much easier than planned. So while I'm sad to hear that there will be no more remakes, I am very thankful for all the hard work all of you put into this game.

I look forward to seeing what original games you turn out next.