One final problem with QG4

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

The Matrix Dragon
Peasant Status

One final problem with QG4

#1 Post by The Matrix Dragon » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:40 pm

I am now at the end of the gmae. I have killed Ad Avis, but am unable to summon Erana's Staff. The game keeps saying I am too busy to cast spells.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

Re: One final problem with QG4

#2 Post by Schloss Ritter » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:47 am

That one still occasionally pops up. The game is confused and thinks you are still in another action mode or something. Try messing with speed and/or detail slider(s), reloading before killing Ad Avis and trying again (possibly with the detail slider turned down), or reloading before the final room and adjusting slider(s) before entering. Hope you have a previous save nearby.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:54 am

Known major glitch. Short answer - you're screwed.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#4 Post by Schloss Ritter » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:01 am

Brainiac wrote:Known major glitch. Short answer - you're screwed.
I know I've worked around it before though, but I can't remember quite how. Pretty sure it involved loading a save from outside the room and trying again with different slider settings.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:20 am

Oh yeah, you can reload past saves. But the current game in that room is finito.

The one shot you have is casting the Force Bolt one extra time after Ad Avis is dealt with. That can offset it sometimes. This is what you get for not using NewRisingSun's patches.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#6 Post by Goilveig » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:13 am

Brainiac wrote: The one shot you have is casting the Force Bolt one extra time after Ad Avis is dealt with. That can offset it sometimes. This is what you get for not using NewRisingSun's patches.
Still happens to me even WITH his patch.

Anyhow the basic method to deal with it is this:

1. Load an earlier save.
2. Summon staff, tell joke, force bolt.

Now be VERY careful about clicks here:

3. While there's still a force bolt cursor, cast it again somewhere on the screen.
4. Go up to the magic menu without changing the cursor (if you right click and make the eye, mouth, hand, etc. cursors appear it's all over)
5. From the magic menu, Summon Staff.

The Matrix Dragon
Peasant Status

#7 Post by The Matrix Dragon » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:11 pm

Casting force bolt again worked. Thanks

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#8 Post by Schloss Ritter » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:34 pm

Hmm, that's strange. I guess the game enters the code for Ad Avis's demise before setting the flag to tell itself you were done casting Force Bolt (not surprising with the other speed related errors in this game). That's the only way I could see casting it an extra time would help.

Too bad NRS probably isn't going to revisit his patch coding one more time to fix (if he can) this problem and the Wraith appearance/death-freeze glitch.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#9 Post by Goilveig » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:56 am

Schloss Ritter wrote:Too bad NRS probably isn't going to revisit his patch coding one more time to fix (if he can) this problem and the Wraith appearance/death-freeze glitch.
I'd try it if there were a good script decompiler/recompiler for SCI 1.1, but all the SCI VGA tools only handle 1.0 (they don't handle the new form which uses SCR/HEP files). I assume NRS did his entirely by hexing -- which I could do if I were really determined, but not sure I have the free time to devote to such an exercise.