So you want to release a different game

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Tehseen
Royal Servant Status

So you want to release a different game

#1 Post by Tehseen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:16 pm

As you guys are also fans , a question was just popping out in my mind that have you created any extras for urself in quest for glory 2 remake which you cant release due to copyright issues or was that all you released.
like adding differnt character classes or may be extending the plot line etc
because you have been working on this game for so long ,like all of us as being a fan of quest for glory series i dont believe that you guys dont want any extensions like some more side quests etc.
please reply honestly

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

Re: So you want to release a different game

#2 Post by JustLuke32 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:55 pm

I've heard that they implemented Bard, Jester, and Monk classes, along with a third city in the desert, but Sierra/Vivendi wouldn't allow them to release this enhanced version due to copywrite infingements. I'm sure that everyone involved will deny it, though, because they were all forced to sign stringent non-disclosure agreements.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:07 pm

I can't think of anything that we wanted to implement, yet were unable to due to legal reasons.

If we didn't include anything, it was either because:
- We didn't think it fit in.
- We didn't think it was worth the time to fit in.

The thing with fan-projects is like this...we all want the ultimate game; a city full of unique NPC's with unique lines. A city where you can break into every house you come across. 100 sidequests to do. 8 classes in total. Different animals to mount. Extra spells. An epic plot. However when the time comes to actually develop these sorts of things, the only way to succeed is take a good hard look at that pile of ideas, toss 95 of them away and continue with the 5 that make for a viable development schedule. Someone may like the idea of 100 extra houses to break into, but nobody can come up with 100 unique break-in scenarios that are detailed enough to work with. Not to mention the fact, as I say from experience, that designing and scripting a new scenario like that takes like 3 weeks of hard work and then 6 more weeks of QA to get stable. Every sidequest or extra feature we added, we had to work long and hard on. Adding extra classes would be an even bigger job, as you'd have to finetune like 50% of the game's inner mechanics to fit it in.

What you see here is a project we considered possible to finish, enhanced with stuff we came up with while we were bored from scripting and finetuning existing stuff. I've had thoughts like...it would be nice if this or that was added, but if anything was too big to script in a short timespan, I'd rapidly dismiss it.

That's the honest answer.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#4 Post by gamecreator » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks for the long answer but, of course, I want more. :p
Could you share some of those discarded ideas? I know you mentioned the Brigands in the city elsewhere, for example. And did the room decoration and pizza elemental both fit into the 3 weeks of design/6 weeks of testing rule?

Tehseen
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Tehseen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:49 pm

Erpy wrote:I can't think of anything that we wanted to implement, yet were unable to due to legal reasons.

The thing with fan-projects is like this...we all want the ultimate game; a city full of unique NPC's with unique lines. A city where you can break into every house you come across. 100 sidequests to do. 8 classes in total. Different animals to mount. Extra spells. An epic plot. However when the time comes to actually develop these sorts of things, the only way to succeed is take a good hard look at that pile of ideas, toss 95 of them away and continue with the 5 that make for a viable development schedule. Someone may like the idea of 100 extra houses to break into, but nobody can come up with 100 unique break-in scenarios that are detailed enough to work with. Not to mention the fact, as I say from experience, that designing and scripting a new scenario like that takes like 3 weeks of hard work and then 6 more weeks of QA to get stable. Every sidequest or extra feature we added, we had to work long and hard on. Adding extra classes would be an even bigger job, as you'd have to finetune like 50% of the game's inner mechanics to fit it in.

What you see here is a project we considered possible to finish, enhanced with stuff we came up with while we were bored from scripting and finetuning existing stuff. I've had thoughts like...it would be nice if this or that was added, but if anything was too big to script in a short timespan, I'd rapidly dismiss it.

i really love this guy

MeshGearFox
Peasant Status

#6 Post by MeshGearFox » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:08 am

I think there's a certain belief that the more you add to a remake, the harder it is to really integrate that with the original game, and the more stuff that kind of sticks out and doesn't fit in like that, the less professional the project looks as a whole.

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by JustLuke32 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:24 pm

Agreed.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#8 Post by Solarkid » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Still, i wish they'd put in a bard class, bards kick ass in qfg 3.

Dave

Germain
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Germain » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:00 pm

They sure do. |I

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Asrai » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:06 pm

Ok, I can't resist it any longer! Please tell me somebody else here reads Order of the Stick? A bardic Hero... Elan... :rollin It would be the funniest character class ever!

adeyke

#11 Post by adeyke » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:55 pm

I do read it :).

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by JustLuke32 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:49 am

Solarkid wrote:Still, i wish they'd put in a bard class, bards kick ass in qfg 3.

Dave
Bards are far too twee and sickly sweet. All that prancing around in tights and singing? Just... No. If Kings Quest had character classes, one of them would definitely be a bard.

lukeman3000
Peasant Status

#13 Post by lukeman3000 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:44 pm

Erpy wrote:I can't think of anything that we wanted to implement, yet were unable to due to legal reasons.

The thing with fan-projects is like this...we all want the ultimate game; a city full of unique NPC's with unique lines. A city where you can break into every house you come across. 100 sidequests to do. 8 classes in total. Different animals to mount. Extra spells. An epic plot.
Sounds like oblivion to me...

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#14 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:46 am

example hero6

Corsair
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:30 am

I don't think Hero6 was that ambitious. I doubt we'll ever find out, though.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#16 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:45 am

I know they used to be. Stuff like riding horses, a plot bigger than QFG4 and more was mentioned on their older forums several years ago. But it was difficult to tell what was being officially aimed at and what was merely members throwing ideas around.