*SUPER SPOILER* The biggest easter egg in the game.

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: *SUPER SPOILER* The biggest easter egg in the game.

#226 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:46 pm

adeyke wrote:QfG5 is the only game that allows the consumption of pills/potions in combat (or, as "in combat" as you can get in that game).
Bobbin Threadbare wrote:yeah... i guess it did kinda ruined it, although the ability to completely heal itself to full health was really cheap.
Bobbin, I presume you're referring to the spell First Aid and the Paladin Ability Healing Hands. Originally, Healing Hands was out-of-battle only as well. First Aid, however, was only introduced in QfG5 (and it's an in-battle spell for the al-ghul in the remake). As far as those two being cheap in-battle, they are (which is why Healing Hands wasn't usable in QfG3 or QfG4), but they would still have a limitation on usage if pills were unusable since they require Mana and Stamina to use, respectively.

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#227 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:30 am

Are you really sure, Erpy? 'cause I think I'm not mistaken. I think it healed all the way to max, and given that it has the first successful pizza eating there. Maybe if it does that the second time or so on would have less healing.
Well anyway, that's that. I've beaten it anyway, and the only thing that matter is finding out the use of pizza elemental. Maybe anyone could give me a little bit tip here since I've already finished playing as hybrid-fighter. (didn't get to be paladin this time since I've also done the thiefing part too, but at least it still gave me 500 out of 500... :D ) Plus I got this message about using F4 for something, but I've skipped it too fast and didn't felt anything different after pressing F4. :?

and @Brainiac, the terms healing I'm referred was in the parser edition where in qfg1 you could just type 'drink healing potion' or 'eat health pill' in qfg2. Of course that it was an almost 2 decades ago and last time I've played the series was almost a decade, and so I'm not really sure. Plus, in the original qfg2 you cannot have zero stamina or it will automatically game over when you were thrown in battle despite how many health you still got. (Good job for remedying this in the remake)
But I think it kinda worked. And I know about the heal spell because it was introduced the first time in qfg5 and the paladin ability which was impossible since the hero can only play as that class on qfg3 forward.

But again, if my stat were all max in qfg1 & 2, then I don't even have too worry about healing since the battle became way too easy and I can just rest up to replenish my stats. :D
... but I guess it was a different matter in the remake, the earth elemental still can managed easily to pummel my hero despite it's stats (even had to cheat by casting alot of flame darts until just a tiny bit of health and finish it in battle... :lol: ) and the battle versus Khaveen was really impressive and eye-catching. A really well done-job! :D
Too bad AGDI couldn't put the original sprite of Uhura & Rakeesh, because Uhura's clothing was more interesting fighter-like rather than qfg3-mother type and Rakeesh in original QFG2 was like a macho-man (even with those abs) with lion's leg while the QFG3 version looked like an old liontaur. :lol:

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#228 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:50 am

From the sound of your post it looks like you already found it.

I checked, btw, and it's not possible to eat healing pills in battle in the original QFG2. You just get a "don't have time" message. I think, btw, that only QFG1 kills you for having 0 stamina in battle, unless the battle is against a ghoul in QFG2.

Jafar
Super Star

#229 Post by Jafar » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:23 am

I just now defeated that dastardly deep-dish dude on my second playthrough. (Fighter)

Maybe it's just me, but I tried counting the number of times I hit him, and it helped me focus.

I don't think there's much to say that hasn't already been said, so I'll just say COWABUNGA! :P
Maybe I'll make myself a faux-pizza to celebrate.

Tifas Revenge
Peasant Status

#230 Post by Tifas Revenge » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:27 am

I just finally beat the guy earlier this afternoon. Check my other thread, or if you're too lazy to watch all the clips, here's a quick SPOILER Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKuyj_jfc60

He was one tough cookie, errrr.... doughboy. ;)

Matt620
Peasant Status

#231 Post by Matt620 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:42 pm

Hi everyone. Long-time lurker, first time poster. Gotta say, I'm very impressed with everything that's happened with this game. Major kudos to all involved, I dare say it's better then the original (hope no one smites me for that!)

Though I'm having a bit of trouble with the Pizza Elemental. I had a couple of questions if you don't mind me asking.

1.) When do you hit the keys to get the elemental to spit you back out? I can get him to do it about 90% of the time, but sometimes it seems I hit the keys and still get digested.

2.) There was a "trick" mentioned to the Pizza Elemental. Could anyone tell me how to reproduce this? If you would prefer to send through PM and avoid posting such a thing, that's fine with me.

Thank you all in advance for answering. I'll keep at it, and hopefully, I can cut him down a slice.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#232 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:01 pm

You have to press swing or stab immediately as you disappear into his mouth.

As for the "trick", I suppose people are referring to the way to avoid him voiding all your hard work by pulling off his Jalapeno Heal move. The way around that is to decrease his ability to digest stuff.

haradan
Knight Status

#233 Post by haradan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:38 pm

WTF? Sorry, but I just saw the youtube video of the PE, and I have to say, in my computer the pizza thing moves at least twice that fast (even with the speed all the way down) and the pizzas fall like 5 times faster than that. I'd just like to know if the youtube video is playing at the "optimal" speed or if it seems kinda slow to some more people. I specially would like to hear Erpy's opinion,

If this is its normal speed, now I understand why I can not defeat it.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#234 Post by gamecreator » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Yeah, the fight definitely goes at least twice as fast for me too so I don't think it's you, haradan.

MK
Peasant Status

#235 Post by MK » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:27 pm

If you cant take the heat, stay out of the Pizza Oven. BTW have toy tried turning down the game speed?

haradan
Knight Status

#236 Post by haradan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:41 pm

Oh, OK, I just thought I'd give it a shot. I fight it with the speed all the way down but it remains too fast, specially when the pizzas fall in the same row, I can't even stand up.

I'd still like to know Erpy's opinion, though. Would you say the video is clearly slow? (In terms of the optimal speed you designed the combat for, or something?) Whatever...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#237 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:47 pm

Yeah, I could definitely tell that the youtube movies of Tifa's Revenge had combat running too slowly.

The battle speed is fixed to a certain amount of game cycles per second. It ignores game speed. However, if your video card/monitor is unable to display that many frames per second, AGS automatically applies a cap. That's the way the engine is programmed. So you guys' games aren't too fast, Tifa's Revenge's combat is too slow.

haradan
Knight Status

#238 Post by haradan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:22 pm

OK, thanks for clarifying.

Sighs...

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#239 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:27 am

The reason for that is because capturing video frames in AGS games is quite processor intensive. The CPU has to simultaneously process the battle script AND capture a video frame every few milliseconds. The result is lag which causes the battle scene to run more slowly than it would, were you playing without the capture process running in tandem with it.

testing223
Peasant Status

#240 Post by testing223 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:52 am

So, what ARE all the hints for finding this boss?

There's the graffiti, which is sort of vague but says it's to the West.

Any others?

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#241 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm pretty sure the graffiti is for a different sidequest, but then again I've been peeking at spoilers through half covered eyes (figuratively). Damn my eyes again... :rolleyes

CalJS
Peasant Status

#242 Post by CalJS » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:28 pm

testing223 wrote:So, what ARE all the hints for finding this boss?

Any others?
pizza box (eof people are disgusting) + captured fire elemental + doom from the east graffiti + travelling to the WEST alot maybe a little south too ;) = Pizza Elemental

unless anybody has gotten to it without the fire elemental? i dunno when i tried i got that error after going west ALOT.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#243 Post by Erpy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:38 pm

It triggered an error in version 1.0. In version 1.1, you just get an empty desert screen. You don't need to look at the grafitti, btw.

Daniel06
Peasant Status

#244 Post by Daniel06 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:58 pm

One thing I noticed from watching that video, was that you started heading west as soon as the desert screen perspective switched. I was previous heading west from the Oasis (Ie the skull shaped rock), hence I couldnt find the thing. Will try again now...

testing223
Peasant Status

#245 Post by testing223 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:28 am

CalJS wrote:
testing223 wrote:So, what ARE all the hints for finding this boss?

Any others?
pizza box (eof people are disgusting) + captured fire elemental + doom from the east graffiti + travelling to the WEST alot maybe a little south too ;) = Pizza Elemental

unless anybody has gotten to it without the fire elemental? i dunno when i tried i got that error after going west ALOT.
Yes, so basically the graffiti is the only actual hint?

GloomSaber
Peasant Status

#246 Post by GloomSaber » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:56 am

I tried battlin the bonus boss and he is HARD.

I personaslly think AGD did an awsome job with the execution of this elemental. I like how he was inserted "randomly" in the desert and not knowin where Shapier is located rather than being embedded in the storyline like say, having him in Askeri Darb.

As for the topic poster, shame on you for makin that turtle lair bs up. I did not fall for it, but that is low for those who wanted to know where the monster was. If you didnt want to say where the monster is at, you should have said he is in the middle of the desert. End Rant.

I also like how the pizza monster is designed because he doesn't look out of place. Not to offend you guys, but all the characters in the remake are either taken from other QFG games or are recoloured and was expectin the pizza elemental look cartoony or small like the other elementals. It is not your guys' fault since I realize it is hard to make a new sprite and you guys do not want to mess up scale size by say, makin an existing elemental bigger; l would imagined it would make it less of a faithful translation and would make it hard for such a big monster move in a narrow alleyway.

However, when I seen the pizza elemental, he seems the less out of place monster in the game. His appearance as a pizza seems to be in the style of part 3, where it is or looks digitalized, yet it is altered to fit with the game's look. The combat sprite seems to look like he was ripped out of QG1VGA. Awsome job! I also love how his fighting animations doesnt look awkward and one can see the strength when he punches! Not easy to animate from what I would think.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#247 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:20 pm

Heh, you know...the original poster posted screenshots that showed a location in the middle of the desert. No mountains in the background, so it eliminates 4 out of 8 rows of the desert grid. No rocks or plants visible, so obviously the area was far to the west or east of Shapeir. Not exactly unimportant clues. All one had to do was go and check.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#248 Post by CGG » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Erpy wrote:Heh, you know...the original poster posted screenshots that showed a location in the middle of the desert. No mountains in the background, so it eliminates 4 out of 8 rows of the desert grid. No rocks or plants visible, so obviously the area was far to the west or east of Shapeir. Not exactly unimportant clues. All one had to do was go and check.

True - but that is not the point. The the impression was that there was a necessary trigger in the city BEFORE you could find it out in the desert. I find it sort of ironic, I passed up following the graffiti lead to wonder around the streets of Shapier (turns out i was initially on the correct track) . . . so I can understand people's frustration.

GloomSaber
Peasant Status

#249 Post by GloomSaber » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:38 pm

CGG wrote:
Erpy wrote:Heh, you know...the original poster posted screenshots that showed a location in the middle of the desert. No mountains in the background, so it eliminates 4 out of 8 rows of the desert grid. No rocks or plants visible, so obviously the area was far to the west or east of Shapeir. Not exactly unimportant clues. All one had to do was go and check.

True - but that is not the point. The the impression was that there was a necessary trigger in the city BEFORE you could find it out in the desert. I find it sort of ironic, I passed up following the graffiti lead to wonder around the streets of Shapier (turns out i was initially on the correct track) . . . so I can understand people's frustration.
I know the images were in the middle of the desert, which is why I said it would have been less mean for the original poster to inquire that he found it in the middle of the desert and not add some made up wild goose chase in Shapier. I mean, if he said the graffiti, that is alright since it exist in the game and does lead to the monster despite not bein required.

As CGG said, the original poster gave the impression that a certain event, nowhere near the desert, has to be be discovered before fighting the pizza elemental. Just sayin that it is all good if the poster wants to be vague in his discovery, but throwin false information that makes the player go the otherway seems a bit harsh.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#250 Post by Solarkid » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:20 pm

GloomSaber wrote:throwin false information that makes the player go the otherway seems a bit harsh.
But VERY funny for the quiet observer no?

Think of it like this, those false hints may a brought some pain to a few people, but they brought joy to many more, you should be glad because it made some people happy.

Pffffft.

Dave