2 bugs.

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

SCO
Peasant Status

2 bugs.

#1 Post by SCO » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:30 pm

One is a lockup, that i guess can be activated in different ways.

Playing with cloud dude that i forgot the name of, it's possible that he expels you when night falls (an automatic animation). If at the same time you have low stamina, the automatic animation can cause you to die. But the death screen never appears (or is not at the correct z-buffer level), thus locking things up.

After the first closeup with Ferrari, my hero was trapped in the table, no movement possible. Workaround - found - thank his noodly appendage - click on the table as if to sit again, Ferrari blows you off and you exit the table.

Also anyone knows a way to hack a paladin in QFG3 to get the juggling lights spell? Either getting Keapon (remembered) present or just getting the spell from a save game would be fine. I'm looking for hexadecimal positions and what to write in them.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: 2 bugs.

#2 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:39 pm

Hex positions change in the older QfG games. Only QfG5 has specified locations.

The simplest way to hack in Juggling Lights is to import/start/load with a Wizard character and get Juggling Lights. Cast it enough times to isolate the location of the spell's experience level in an editor (such as GameWiz). After that, lock the experience level to a specific value and RESTART; do not load a game or the variable locations will usually change. Import your Paladin character and he should now have Juggling Lights. If you want Summon Staff as well, that's a bit harder to set up and will require a much longer period of use by the aforementioned Wizard character.

SCO
Peasant Status

#3 Post by SCO » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:32 pm

No way to do that on dosbox right?

Variable positions...

Will try it.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#4 Post by Goilveig » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:40 pm

SCO wrote:No way to do that on dosbox right?

Variable positions...

Will try it.
It's not actually THAT hard on QFG 1-3 (4 is much harder). Although the positions of the various spells and stats change, they don't change relative to each other -- so if you know the sequence of bytes you're looking for, you can quickly find where the stats and such are.

In QFG3, the stats are like this, with each being 2 bytes long:

Strength
Intelligence
Agility
Vitality
Luck
Weapon Use
Parry
Dodge
Stealth
Pick Locks
Throwing
Climbing
Magic
Communication
Honor
??Unknown??
Current HP
Current SP
Current MP
Open
Detect Magic
Trigger
Dazzle
Zap
Calm
Flame Dart
Fetch
Force Bolt
Levitation
Reversal
Juggling Lights
Summon Staff
Lightning Ball

QG4 is much worse, it seems to actually encrypt the stats in memory to prevent hex editing.
Last edited by Goilveig on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:42 pm

Right; once you isolate one value, the others fall into place. However, getting Summon Staff to work is still more complaicated as the is an on/off flag that must be triggered for the spell to work.

SCO
Peasant Status

#6 Post by SCO » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:06 pm

What do you mean (about summon staff)? And if it is fixed, and then saved in a save game, then can i export into qfg4 and get summon staff (and then do both the queen of fairies quest and the paladin quests)?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:24 pm

The Summon Staff spell, even with skill > 0, will not function properly without the ritual at Kreesha's being performed. Thus, what you need is primarily the Magic Wood necessary to create the staff. I am uncertain of that item's location relative to others, so the only way to trace it is by a direct 1 / 0 search. As a Wizard, search for 1 when the staff is in your inventory, then 0 after the ritual is performed. This is usually not enough, but fortunately the Magic Wood reappears in your inventory after the ejection from Tarna, allowing another search for a value of 1. This is the point at which I can usually isolate it.

As far as QfG4, I'm still working on that. The spell will appear immediately if it is hacked in, but it doesn't naturally appear at the start upon import, so my tests are not yet complete. One thing I can tell you is that even with Summon Staff hacked in, the Resistance spell will never appear without similar hacking like that of QfG3 as the trigger there is the fight with the Faerie Queen and her attendants; their appearance is dependent on being a Wizard and I have no idea how to hack them into a Paladin game. However, do remember that Resistance and Juggling Lights both are purchasable in QfG5 from Shakra.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#8 Post by Goilveig » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:22 am

Brainiac wrote:As far as QfG4, I'm still working on that. The spell will appear immediately if it is hacked in, but it doesn't naturally appear at the start upon import, so my tests are not yet complete.
You've actually managed to hack QFG4? More than I've done ;) as it seems the stats aren't as simply stored as they were in 1-3 (you can't just scan for the old value of a stat, increase it, and scan for the new value, or scan for the byte sequence you'd expect for strength agility vitality etc.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:31 am

Goilveig wrote:You've actually managed to hack QFG4? More than I've done ;) as it seems the stats aren't as simply stored as they were in 1-3 (you can't just scan for the old value of a stat, increase it, and scan for the new value, or scan for the byte sequence you'd expect for strength agility vitality etc.
I only hack for one character; my "Paladin of Irony" which I've designed to be as godlike as possible (especially having both First Aid and Dragon Fire). QfG5 is of course easy in the extreme to hack, but QfG3 and QfG4 are the ones needed to alter if you want to acquire Juggling Lights, Resistance, and Summon Staff as soon as possible. I have never made the effort to hack every stat/skill/spell/etc., just Summon Staff and Juggling Lights/Resistance. As far as QfG4, so far I have hacked in the presence of Summon Staff and Resistance (which does NOT appear in the spell menu when you have no staff no matter what). I have not yet tested whether or not an imported Paladin that already has Summon Staff will carry it over, though I can confirm that without the Faeries making an appearance, Resistance must be hacked in order to appear.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:37 am

Playing with cloud dude that i forgot the name of, it's possible that he expels you when night falls (an automatic animation). If at the same time you have low stamina, the automatic animation can cause you to die. But the death screen never appears (or is not at the correct z-buffer level), thus locking things up.
In regards to this bug, do you happen to have a savegame file, just prior to the freeze which we can load to see the bug occurring? Usually, it's easier to track down this way.

SCO
Peasant Status

#11 Post by SCO » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:13 pm

I think i saved on top, sorry (but will check when i get home).

As for hacking with GameWizard32, i haven't got anywhere on qfg3, since the values that are modified, are never the correct ones (i even tried the relative search) with either 1, 2 or 4 bytes. Annoying.

If you have a savegame of a paladin with juggling lights and summon staff activated in qfg3 i would appreciate it (i believe i'm fully patched up).

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:59 pm

You're probably using a newer version of GameWiz32 than me; I did this a long time ago on an old Win98 machine. What is your system architecture, current OS, and GW32 version?

SCO
Peasant Status

#13 Post by SCO » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:55 pm

windows xp home edition (no service pack)
Gamewizard32 1.4
As for system architecture, a piece of shit portable computer of more than 5 years ago.

Probably a pentium 4 (original).

I'm just trying to click on the sierra.exe, (it uses the ntvm automatically) and then just doing the relative search thing. Interestingly if i search for definitive numbers, like "31" juggling lights spell skill, i get nowhere. Search "31", up the skill in the game, search "34", up the skill in the game, search "36", zero results WTF?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:58 pm

You didn't accicdentally set the search system to look for hexadecimal values, did you? It needs to be set for decimal input or it won't work.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by Crowley9 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:12 am

Brainiac wrote:I only hack for one character; my "Paladin of Irony" which I've designed to be as godlike as possible (especially having both First Aid and Dragon Fire). QfG5 is of course easy in the extreme to hack, but QfG3 and QfG4 are the ones needed to alter if you want to acquire Juggling Lights, Resistance, and Summon Staff as soon as possible. I have never made the effort to hack every stat/skill/spell/etc., just Summon Staff and Juggling Lights/Resistance. As far as QfG4, so far I have hacked in the presence of Summon Staff and Resistance (which does NOT appear in the spell menu when you have no staff no matter what). I have not yet tested whether or not an imported Paladin that already has Summon Staff will carry it over, though I can confirm that without the Faeries making an appearance, Resistance must be hacked in order to appear.
Would you care to share how hacking in the staff and Resistance works? The progression of memory addresses I can figure out, but you mentioned an additional hack is required to "turn on" Resistance, which happens naturally at the faery queen fight. Thanks to this thread I already managed to repair the effects of the import bug which causes the Open spell to have a skill somewhere around thirty thousand.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#16 Post by Brainiac » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:02 pm

Hacking Resistance is the same as hacking Summon Staff in QfG3 - you have to use a Wizard to isolate it. You can actually directly cast Resistance (ie not using the Staff) by Summoning the Staff and casting Resistance, walking to dismiss the Staff, then double-clicking the Spell Icon. This causes the Hero to recast the last used spell - in this case, Resistance. You can thus increase Resistance's experience and thus track down its location in the code. Once you have both it and Summon Staff isolated, you can again restart and import the character you wish to give Summon Staff and Resistance. However, note that Resistance still will not appear in the spell menu without the Staff currently in your possession. To be completely certain of the validity of the Staff's presence, you may also want to use your early Wizard to isolate the Ritual of Release.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by Crowley9 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:15 pm

Intriguing. I hacked the Summon Staff spell in, but received a message saying I cannot summon it but I might find another one in Mordavia. I never knew that existed in the game. I guess I'll have to start playing as a wizard and search for that zero turning to one at the faery fight or maybe at the sacrifice, if I understood you correctly. I found out about that method to practice Resistance years ago on my own, but thanks for sharing it anyway.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Brainiac » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:31 pm

No, no. Summon Staff simply won't work until you get the Staff of Erana in QfG4. Once that happens, it's fine. It's Resistance that will not trigger without hacking since the Faerie battle does not occur as anything other than a Wizard.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by Crowley9 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:44 pm

Ahh, now I see. Danke. I'm guessing Resistance was that zero in the middle of other spell addresses which did not add a spell to the list immediately once I increased it.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Brainiac » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Precisely. Resistance's lack of appearance without an active Staff is pretty much a given. Once you've got the Staff, it should appear normally. It may require the presence of Ritual of Release in your spell menu, but I doubt it (you still get a message about casting Ritual of Release even without it, after all).

SCO
Peasant Status

#21 Post by SCO » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:48 pm

I wish we could patch the game itself, so that these quests and scripts were available...

I'm not much of a roleplayer. And anyway the scripts seem to be compiled lua, surely there is a decompiler somewhere.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#22 Post by Goilveig » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:09 pm

SCO wrote:I'm not much of a roleplayer. And anyway the scripts seem to be compiled lua, surely there is a decompiler somewhere.
For SCI versions up to 1.0, yes, but not the 1.1 that QFG 3 & 4 use.

I would have been interested in patching 3 but not sure I wanna write all the decompiler tools to do so.