Saurus Repair Shop

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Solarkid
Knight Status

Saurus Repair Shop

#1 Post by Solarkid » Thu May 29, 2008 6:27 pm

Hey all

Now, i don't want to sound stupid here, but i've seen loads of tiny references to a 'Saurus repair shop' in QFG2VGA.
Is this a joke people have made? An easter egg? Or is it actualy something you've implimented into the game?

If it really exists, how on earth does it work? can your saurus loose health from desert strains or something?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu May 29, 2008 6:45 pm

It's something that was originally intended to be in the EGA version of QFG2, but it was cut because it would have required the game to ship with an extra disk. It was basically an easter egg and had no relevance to the story whatsoever.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#3 Post by Solarkid » Thu May 29, 2008 6:50 pm

Cheers for such a swift reply
So you don't plan to impliment it in your game?

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Thu May 29, 2008 6:59 pm

He didn't say that.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#5 Post by Solarkid » Thu May 29, 2008 9:42 pm

Awesome :)
will it actually be usable or just a joke in the game

p.s i accept the fact that you probably won't tell me anything about it but i like to talk my chances

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#6 Post by Gronagor » Thu May 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Hmm... I think the subject has been talked about often enough to safely assume it will either be there or referred to in the game.

I'm very curious myself about the new stuff in the game, but I also know it will spoil the experience if they told us everything. The repair shop is one of those things that could spoil it. I'd rather try and find it.

Hey! How about a ' The Re-making of'? Would love to see and hear what you guys went through these last few years.

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

Re: Saurus Repair Shop

#7 Post by JonWW » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:11 pm

Did you design the Saurus repair shop the way the Coles were going to if it made the cut in the original? It kind of reminds me of a similar Easter egg found in Leisure Suit Larry 1 AGI.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:40 am

About 80% to 85% of the background descriptions in there are descriptions written for the original game. I also contacted Brian K. Hughes (the guy on the programming department the saurus shop was most often associated with) and he mentioned how the mechanic should look. He also mentioned the background was "pretty much" how it looked in the original. (we never got any visual clues on how the shop was meant to look) So all in all, it's pretty close to what you would have gotten in the original, had it not been cut.

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by JonWW » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:00 am

So are the 20 to 15% of the background descriptions added, or ws there any background descriptions that were removed from what would have been in the original game? Is it in the intended location it would have been in the original? It seems so out of place from the Quest for Glory world, just seems too modern.

Schrijvertje
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Schrijvertje » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:45 am

You'd expect a saurus repair shop to be a bit closer to the saurus lot. Perhaps the conveyor belts run all the way underground. Would be a weak spot for invading enemies.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:08 am

The remaining descriptions were added for stuff like the conveyer and the general look-description that had no descriptions to begin with.

All we knew about its location was that it was supposed to be in the south-western part of Shapeir. The other candidates were the two dead ends facing south, but that would mean the shop would be based inside the south wall of the city, so the current location was the most realistic one.

Speaking about realism...the shop was never meant to be realistic itself. (or it would indeed be closer to the saurus lot)

c_young
Peasant Status

#12 Post by c_young » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:35 pm

1.0 bar of boost really wakens my Saurus up. :p

Well done, the saurus repair shop really has that feel of a 80's mechanic shop.