The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Solarkid
Knight Status

Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

#1676 Post by Solarkid » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Ah okay, thank you very much indeed.

Again sorry for the off topic-ness :)

Dave

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#1677 Post by JonWW » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Angelus3K wrote:w00t!!

A new revision of ScummVM Wii has been released, looks like it fixes my 16:9 woes!
rev 33789
proper fullscreen video mode
multiple graphic modes with different overscan values
"fullscreen mode" stretches the picture on 16:9 displays
fixed broken sword 1/2 gfx garbage
support for setShakePos()
MusicallyInspired wrote:Yeah, that wouldn't be good. Stretched video is the devil.
I'm hoping the games made for Wii have new backgrounds for "fullscreen mode", so the video will not be stretched. I know that they redone the backgrounds on Sam & Max Season 1 for Wii.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1678 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:08 pm

Finally finished GTA IV! Amazing game, truly one of those "next gen" games you hear about all the time.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1679 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:12 pm

Now get to work on MGS4! it's better than GTA in my opinion. How many hours did Grand theft auto take you by the way? mine was just over 30 hours.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1680 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:21 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:Now get to work on MGS4! it's better than GTA in my opinion. How many hours did Grand theft auto take you by the way? mine was just over 30 hours.
Mine was around 40 hours. But when I started I was doing all the side missions and odd jobs not really concentrating on story missions as I wanted to make the game last.

Yea gonna start on MGS4 soon, just playing the remake of Bionic Commando which is pretty cool! Pretty addicted to Mario Kart Wii at the mo too (just love the bikes on it.) Also continued playing FFIII on DS. I've been playing it since Jan 07 on and off!! Only about 12 hours in aswell :eek

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1681 Post by Brainiac » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:22 pm

So much for that Final Fantasy Mission, eh Ang? Don't sweat it. The friend codes I sent you a long time back are still good; just let me know if you want to connect up on Mognet.

By the way, did you snag FF4DS as well?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1682 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:55 pm

The mission is still on going Brainiac, never fear! It wasn't designed as a quick and dirty affair. With FF its a love of a lifetime! ;)

Yea I'll hook up with those mognet codes as I've got back into it now. Just done the bit where you get the Levigrass shoes and go into Goldor's castle and beat Goldor (pretty easy when you use a Scholar and use the 2x item effect with Heavenly Wrath, takes off like 5000HP when Luneth Dark Knight Soul Edge only does 1000HP.

I have Dark Knight, Black Mage, Scholar and Geomancer, the Geomancer I just changed to a Viking actually. I'm not too familar with jobs so not sure which is best to use. Any tips there?

I've not picked up FF4DS yet, in two minds whether to play FF4 PS1 version on PSP or the new DS version.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1683 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Alright!! Got an email this morning saying I have been chosen as Playstation Europe Beta Tester!! :hat

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1684 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:49 pm

I recently bought FFIV DS and I like it a lot more than the PS1 version. There's some ok voice acting in the new cut scenes as well. Kind of a bad idea seeing as it's my brother's DS and I move out in 4 more days but it's still a very good remake. MGS4 is my pic for game of the year though. It far surpasses GTAIV (yes I've beaten MGS4 despite not owning a PS3).

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#1685 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:16 pm

I've finally ordered an R4DS card reader online. It should be here in 10-18 days. Finally I can play ScummVM games on my DS! I'm quite looking forward to it.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1686 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:02 am

Anyone loving Spore at the moment??

Surprised there's no posts about this game, I think its brilliant so far, only onto the creature stage but a great game so far!

Broomie
The Enigma

#1687 Post by Broomie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:29 pm

I haven't exactly heard the best things about it. But Play.com has got it for around £27 so I may get it, considering it's for Mac as well. :)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1688 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:26 pm

There are alot of bad reviews around, mainly because of the DRM (SecuROM) and the others a vailidly about how dumbed down each stage is compared to the hype/impressions of the game during development.

It's not as deep as I would of liked but its fun to play, an amazing idea turned into a good game.

Can't wait to see if any other devs bring out evolution inspired gaming.

I used to love EVO for the SNES which is actually a pretty similar concept, except you stay with the same creature all the way through the game.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1689 Post by Spikey » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:46 pm

I absolutely LOVED evo: the evolution of the earth.

Gaia: 'Let us move forward - for it is the only way we can go' after killing someone's parents in the Ice Age. Left an impression for sure. :cry

MusicallyInspired

#1690 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Finally got my R4DS in after a huge mess with the post office. Apparently the mailman came at 9:12 in the morning but didn't knock. He just left the doorknob notification thing to go pick it up in our mailbox (which is odd since it should be on the doorknob). He then checked the box that said "will be available today after..." but didn't leave a time. I went down to the post office and they said it hadn't arrived yet. So I went the next day and it still wasn't there. Even though it was marked to be there the day before. So I left again. Finally I went back hours later and it was finally there.

Now I just need to wait until we get paid to buy a MicroSD card to use with it. For now I can only plug it in and turn it on to read a lovely "Could not find SD Card" message. lol

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1691 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Hehe, nice one MI! At least you got it in the end. Portable homebrew yummy-ness is near!

Broomie
The Enigma

#1692 Post by Broomie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:34 pm

You didn't get an SD card with yours? Mine came with a 2GB micro SD card (with adapter) and all I paid was about £15 for it. Oh well, you can get cards quite cheap these days but if you can make sure you get a Sandisk. They're the most reliable flash cards around.

MusicallyInspired

#1693 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:24 am

I had the option to have it bundled with a MicroSD card but I chose not to as it would have upped the price. I can get it cheaper at my wife's work place (she works in a photography store) and get her 40% off discount. The one I'm looking at is a 2GB SanDisk actually, though. Just need the cash.

I'm starting to think I should have gotten the M3 Simply Real, though, instead of the R4DS. I now keep hearing good things about the M3 and horrible things about the R4 more and more. At least it'll do what I want it to do; ScummVM and MoonShell.

Broomie
The Enigma

#1694 Post by Broomie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:29 am

R4 is fine, I can't think of any bad things I can say about it. It is compatible with any .nds file and as far as I know doesn't eat up the battery life. I love it! What have you heard about the R4 and what benefits are there of getting the M3 instead?

MusicallyInspired

#1695 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:26 am

Well, I've heard that the R4 has horrible compatibility with some things and that updates come to the M3 first and the R4 much later. Many people think they won't update for the R4 at all for some things.

Mostly, though, it's just random people saying "R4DS is GARBAGE! Get an M3!" So, how can you tell lol...

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1696 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:37 am

I have an R4DS and the newer TTDS, never had any problems with either.

MusicallyInspired

#1697 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:44 pm

Good to hear. :)

Broomie
The Enigma

#1698 Post by Broomie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:48 pm

Well, one thing I have noticed that sucks is the platform emulation for SNES, GENESIS and other oldschool game console emulators. I downloaded a SNES emulator and it really sucks, the controls are unresponsive and a lot of the games just don't work. Yet I have no idea if that's the R4 causing those problems or the shoddy emulators as I haven't been able to try any other homebrew device like the M3.

But for ScummVM it's perfect. The only problem is the upper screen can get on your nerves as it's zooms in where ever you tap on the bottom screen but it is responsive and I rarely see any problems/bugs apart from the AGI titles which are buggy as hell. But that's the fault of ScummVM not the R4 chip so you'll expect that to be fixed soon. Let's just say SQ1 plays alright but it's very awkward to play considering the backspace doesn't even work. Yet for Monkey Island and other great classics (apart from COMI, but that's a DS issue as it doesn't have enough RAM to run it) it plays really well! Haven't tried Moonshell but as it's a multimedia player I can't see what could possibly fault it.

MusicallyInspired

#1699 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Yes, too bad about COMI. I heard that, Full Throttle, and The Dig don't work because the DS doesn't have enough RAM. Though I hear they're working on a work-around...That's ok, though, as the only games I'll be playing are the older ones I think. Does the virtual keyboard work for every game supported by ScummVM or just AGI titles?

One thing about having these games on the DS vs the Wii is that you don't have to have the talkie versions. It's almost easier to play the disk text-only versions as you can read easier. On the Wii you almost always have to have speech because it's hard to read on a TV (well, for me anyway. My TV is pretty far away from my couch). But the bonus for the DS is that using the disk text-only versions takes up less space on the card; more room for more games.

I'm also interested in trying other games like Heretic and the like. I saw a video of Duke3D in action on the DS but it's still pretty shoddy.

Schrijvertje
Peasant Status

#1700 Post by Schrijvertje » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:21 am

What a long thread!

Well, let's put in my own two cents.

I started as a pc gamer. My first game was the original Prince of Persia. My first adventure game was "Monkey Island", thus ensuring this as my favorite game genre.

I stopped play pc games around the time GTA 3 came out: I just couldn't run it smoothly. That's when I switched to Playstation. First the one, with mostly the Final Fantasy games to occupy me. My thirst for more bought me the PS2 with favorites as Silent Hill, PoP, FF.

The adventure game genre kinda died out. So I was very happy when "Fahrenheit" came out (perhaps better known as "Indigo Prophecy"?) I also got "Runaway" for the pc, which, with the exception for the cut scenes, ran pretty smoothly!

Once in a while I get nostalgic and do a run of retro gaming. Old Sierra and LucasFilm/LucasArts games. I have most of the classics.

Currently I'm playing the QfG2 remake on pc, a bit of Guitar Hero on the PS2 but I was actually replaying the PoP trilogy (while hoping to get Silent Hill Origins as a late birthday present from my sister, so fingers crossed!) I'll probably continue with the QfG series after this remake. Next up will either be LSL 1 (the vga remake which I haven't played yet) or the Dagger of Amon Ra.

As far as new games go, I'm very interested in "Overclocked", though I'll need a new PC to run it (and I don't yet have the budget). I'd also like a PS3 (but once again, that budget!) but that'll only happen after FF-13 and Silent Hill 5 have been released anyway.