Weapons Master

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Senor Matt
Knight Status

Weapons Master

#1 Post by Senor Matt » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:47 am

Hey all. I've been playing QG1 VGA in preparation of playing QFG2 and I've maxed out almost all of my stats trying to defeat the weapons master. I'm now wondering if it is because I am playing as a magic user. Do you have to be a fighter in order beat him?
Last edited by Senor Matt on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adeyke

Re: Weapons Master

#2 Post by adeyke » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:28 am

Any character with parry can fight him, and anyone who can fight him can potentially win, with the right stats, button-mashing, and not having him be too fast.

Kotskoets
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Kotskoets » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:52 am

Man I have like strength, weapon use and parry maxed out and I still cant beat that guy.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:27 pm

Make sure you have maxed stamina too. Before starting, drop as many possessions as you can. (and pick them up again after the fight)

This, and having NewRisingSun's patch that fixes timer issues, is pretty much a requirement to beat him.

Kotskoets
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Kotskoets » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:59 pm

Erpy wrote:Make sure you have maxed stamina too. Before starting, drop as many possessions as you can. (and pick them up again after the fight)

This, and having NewRisingSun's patch that fixes timer issues, is pretty much a requirement to beat him.

Yeah I go and fight him with full stamina and I'm pretty sure I have that patch (and also running it through dosbox) but I dunno maybe I made a mistake with extracting the patch or something because it seems I force him to the left only a little at the start and then I usually don't make progress or get forced slowly to the right all while clicking like a maniac. His animations also seem to be going faster than my character's, so there must be some kind of problem.

xKiv
Peasant Status

#6 Post by xKiv » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:06 pm

I am pretty sure it is:
- set the *game* speed to minimum
- challenge the weapon master
- *hold* the LEFT_ARROW button (don't mash anything - the keyboard's repeat rate should take care of everything)

c_young
Peasant Status

#7 Post by c_young » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 pm

I've never had a problem beating him, even without stats maxed out. Basically throw defense to the wind, no need to drop everything (I did it with 70 something stones), make sure stamina is topped off, and use swing mostly supplemented by thrust. The swing animation doesn't look complete, but you will see him gradually drop back. zThis is with version 1.0 on the VGA version, as a kid I don't know the version but it was the same.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#8 Post by Senor Matt » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:56 pm

Thanks C Young, that advice seemed to work. For the first time ever after playing this game since it first came out, I was able to beat the weapons master. But now I have another small problem I hope someone can help me with. I climbed the tree outside the healers house as well as the town wall until my climbing got up to 86, but now no matter how much climbing I do it won't go up any further. Is there anything else I can do to max out my climbing?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:11 pm

The wall of the Brigands' fortress can get you to 100. You just have to do it right after you deal with Toro.

xKiv
Peasant Status

#10 Post by xKiv » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:05 pm

Actually, you can still return there before you deal with Yaga.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:10 pm

You can, but you automatically lose if you do so (in the VGA version, at least - I don't recall if that's true for the EGA version as it's been a fair bit longer since I've played that one).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:27 am

It's true for the EGA version too.