*SUPER SPOILER* The biggest easter egg in the game.

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

GloomSaber
Peasant Status

Re: *SUPER SPOILER* The biggest easter egg in the game.

#251 Post by GloomSaber » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:09 pm

Solarkid wrote:
GloomSaber wrote:throwin false information that makes the player go the otherway seems a bit harsh.
But VERY funny for the quiet observer no?

Think of it like this, those false hints may a brought some pain to a few people, but they brought joy to many more, you should be glad because it made some people happy.

Pffffft.

Dave

But the same can be said about trolling where one does it to put a smile on their face. Besides, not many knew about the secret at the time the poster made the comment.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#252 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:18 pm

My personal view is that people could still have gone and checked. If someone mentioned something as whacky as the turtles' lair, one could wonder if he truly didn't merely stumble upon it in the desert.

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#253 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:03 am

Erpy wrote:From the sound of your post it looks like you already found it.

I checked, btw, and it's not possible to eat healing pills in battle in the original QFG2. You just get a "don't have time" message. I think, btw, that only QFG1 kills you for having 0 stamina in battle, unless the battle is against a ghoul in QFG2.

you mean that "F4" thing? :lol:
I'd really have to replay that last save game then...
... and I'd love it if the 'finding turtle lair' easter egg were really true. (and not really being made up by AGC2... :lol: )
Btw, did the bonus still appear if I eat/spend all the pizza? :?

anyway, maybe you were right about the healing pills, cause AFAIR I didn't use one in battle because it was too easy anyway. Of course that I usually spent overnight in the desert training my stats, always at griffin nest as long as it didn't hit it. And boy... the force bolt training was trickier here in the remake because it could bounce into the Griffin (and even could kill my hero for having it backfired) while in original I don't have to worry much about that. I even ended up maxed all my stat at the end of Day 2, provided that I never returned to the inn (despite the sleep deprived) and stockpiled the stamina pills and lots of water. Yes, I have to spent most of my money for it, but in the end, the battle and monster ingredient would already filled my wallet even until the hero's overweighted it. :lol:
And this time in the remake, it's not so easy to train my stats because for one of the reason that every midnight I had to gather with Shameen & Shema and shared stories about the previous journey. And that force bolt making it really difficult to train for it could backfired alot. :lol:

I think another point you should take for bug-fixing: casting force bolt on skies didn't bounce off. And I think sands should not bounced the spell too.

Btw, I think you're right about stamina thing and the ghoul. My memory hasn't been jogged quite much... :lol:

and @haradan, maybe the problem was that you set the speed slider in the option all the way to max. And I did set it to max when fighting it and even conquering it using that speed (which later on I found out that playing with normal speed may actually makes the battle a bit easier). And that youtube thing was set on normal speed. So I guess it wasn't the capturing fault as AGC2 claims.
And it didn't matter if the pizzas were falling too fast as long as before it lands on the ground (not on your head, don't worry about that) your character already moving away from it, even though it looked weird as if the pizzas were passing by your character. :lol:

And a bit tip about engulfing thing, it always happen on the middle row and you will know it when it tries to swallow you ( I think that slurping act is the key). At that moment repeatedly press '7' key and it will ALWAYS grins and spit you back. Don't try using '9' key 'cause for some reason it didn't really work and the hero ended up digested instead.

Fading Aura
Peasant Status

Pulverized Pizza (ew)

#254 Post by Fading Aura » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:05 am

After about two weeks off and on fighting this gargantuan man-eater, my thief finally defeated the sucker, and all it took was a good dose of patience and practice. I more or less stuck to cycling between positions 2 and 3 when refilling stamina and dodging back as a first instinct reaction when close. Also, tossing daggers does injure the beast but must be timed well so you aren't smashed flat by a deep dish. It's theoretically possible to defeat the elemental just by throwing daggers (you can carry around 95 along with everything else you need when maxed); however, that makes for a very, very long battle indeed.

By the way, the x-ray glasses do nothing here. :p

Many thanks to the QfG2 team for providing an amusing (and incredibly frustrating) extra creature to pursue. Looking at the animations alone, it must have been a lot of extra work to add it in.

testing223
Peasant Status

#255 Post by testing223 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:08 am

So there's three hints in the game proper for the Pizza Elemental.

1. The graffiti.
2. The pizza box.
3. Asking the Djinn, which confirms its existence.

So, developers, I assumed you put it in as a combo of those 3 hints? The box would lie around, unused, the graffiti hints of a terror to the west and the Djinn mentions it exists. If you'd never encountered it, I suppose those could hint it's out there, somewhere...

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#256 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:13 am

the graffiti, while it could gives some cue, was not really necessary. The reason was that I'm playing using simplistic alleyway, which kinda eliminates some easter egg as well as graffiti reading. There are several can be read though on later days, but it was not really useful since it is impossible to investigate it using the simplistic alleyway.

So basically just get the box and deal at least one elemental and you're all set! :-D

btw, the funny thing was that the pizza elemental speaks rather french than... italian maybe... :lol:

Sinergy
Peasant Status

#257 Post by Sinergy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:15 pm

I actually thought up the turtle lair for two reasons:
1) because people kept asking me how to find the pizza elemental and i wanted you to find it yourself.
2) to entertain the makers of the game and myself ;) in fact, one admin (who will remain nameless) told me:
"BTW, do you realize what kind of POWER you hold now? You can basically make these guys do anything for a kick! Want them to throw 1001 rocks at the Dark Hand constellation every night at precisely "Not Yet Dawn" mode until day 16? They'll do it."

People still ask me how to find the turtle lair even though it's been established it isn't necessary and doesn't exist. It's quite cute.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#258 Post by CGG » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:48 pm

Sinergy wrote:I actually thought up the turtle lair for two reasons:
1) because people kept asking me how to find the pizza elemental and i wanted you to find it yourself.
2) to entertain the makers of the game and myself ;) in fact, one admin (who will remain nameless) told me:
"BTW, do you realize what kind of POWER you hold now? You can basically make these guys do anything for a kick! Want them to throw 1001 rocks at the Dark Hand constellation every night at precisely "Not Yet Dawn" mode until day 16? They'll do it."

People still ask me how to find the turtle lair even though it's been established it isn't necessary and doesn't exist. It's quite cute.
I'm not saying I fail to see the humor in it - and it was fairly obvious after AG2 posted the "screenshot" from the old Nintendo game with the hero photoshopped in (I was surprised nobody commented on that - hehe). Personally, I was predisposed to believe it because (a) adventure gamer that I am, I noticed the drainage grates and thought "these are new - maybe there is something to them - and tried a list of things just on my own and (b) I had already wondered around the desert a lot on my own - I just never guessed anything would be quite that far out.

I certainly like the idea of getting people off your back - especially when they didn't try anything themselves. I only went for clues after a good faith effort to do it on my own (I STILL haven't unlocked blue frog mode because there are several things i want to try - but would mean replaying the game - and I've already don't it 3.5 times).

soule
Peasant Status

#259 Post by soule » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:23 pm

With great power comes great responsibility..

Unless of course you are a super-villian :lol

Solarkid
Knight Status

#260 Post by Solarkid » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Sinergy wrote: one admin (who will remain nameless) told me: "BTW, do you realize what kind of POWER you hold now? You can basically make these guys do anything for a kick! Want them to throw 1001 rocks at the Dark Hand constellation every night at precisely "Not Yet Dawn" mode until day 16? They'll do it.".
I would bet goood money that the admin in question is AGC2 :lol
In fact, i would bet my soul that it was AGC2

Bet im wrong

Dave

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#261 Post by Crowley9 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:51 pm

I have to wonder, why does the Pizza Elemental come from the east? Does pizza come from the equivalent of India (with overly Italian accents) in Glorianna or something? Another thing that makes me question the placement of the elemental is that it is in the same direction as Raseir. Might have remained secret a bit longer if it were in the other direction. Just a thought.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#262 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:06 pm

The Pizza Elemental comes from the direction of Raseir, it's not heading that way. (which lies far to the east of Shapeir in the desert grid) His sense of direction isn't quite what it should be, so at some point during his trip from Raseir to Shapeir, he missed the city and now he's crawling further and further to the west, wondering where the heck that city is. That was actually an element of the pizza elemental sidequest when it was merely an idea...it was meant to assault the city, but the moment you met it, it was actually walking away from it.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#263 Post by Crowley9 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:37 pm

Erpy wrote:The Pizza Elemental comes from the direction of Raseir, it's not heading that way. (which lies far to the east of Shapeir in the desert grid)
Raseir is to the east? I always thought the caravan was heading west and you arrive to Raseir from east (remember that it is on the south side so east and west are reversed). When the hero watches the sunrise it comes from the left side which would mean he is facing south and west is to the right. Unless Shapeir is south from the equator.

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#264 Post by ATMachine » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:29 am

Wow, I didn't realize he actually SUGGESTED misleading us. That's just cruel.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#265 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:42 am

Yeah, Raseir is to the east. Always has been. One could argue the hero crossed the POV-line in the desert when he watched the sunrise.

haradan
Knight Status

#266 Post by haradan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:37 pm

Erpy wrote:Yeah, Raseir is to the east. Always has been. One could argue the hero crossed the POV-line in the desert when he watched the sunrise.

Oops. Sorry but no. The hero watches the sunrise, then joins the caravan, which is travelling next to the mountains towards the right side of the screen. If they are going east (towards Raseir), that means they are at the north range, not the south range.

In other words, the sun came out from the west! :lol It's a very minor error, carried over from the original. Anyway, who cares, who's looking for realism?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#267 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:37 pm

haradan wrote:In other words, the sun came out from the west! :lol It's a very minor error, carried over from the original. Anyway, who cares, who's looking for realism?
Hey, for all we know, the force wave that split our Earth and Gloriana into two might have resulted in Gloriana having a reversed rotation.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#268 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:28 am

Or the entire caravan did an off-screen U-turn after the shot where the Hero rides out to meet them.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#269 Post by Gronagor » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:36 am

... or the sun turned for winter?? :rollin

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#270 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:57 pm

Look! A Three headed monkey!

Bt

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#271 Post by Gronagor » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:26 pm

hmmm.... that's what we forgot to include in QfG2. :(

gamecreator
Knight Status

#272 Post by gamecreator » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:56 pm

You didn't find that easter egg yet? Just head 59 screens south, 81 screens west (remembering to keep the POV in mind), then...

Tifas Revenge
Peasant Status

#273 Post by Tifas Revenge » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:27 am

haradan wrote:WTF? Sorry, but I just saw the youtube video of the PE, and I have to say, in my computer the pizza thing moves at least twice that fast (even with the speed all the way down) and the pizzas fall like 5 times faster than that. I'd just like to know if the youtube video is playing at the "optimal" speed or if it seems kinda slow to some more people. I specially would like to hear Erpy's opinion,

If this is its normal speed, now I understand why I can not defeat it.
Youtube max is 30 Frames per Second I think, or at least that's how fast I can record.

l3nsman
Peasant Status

#274 Post by l3nsman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:39 am

Yes, I finally managed to beat the guy! It took me a lot of tries and concentration, but it's definitely doable if you manage to get "in the zone".

Some advice:
  • When you are close enough to hit him, prefer to press down at the last possible moment when he punches you. That way, you'll duck instead of jumping back and save some precious stamina.
  • Know when to keep your distance. Those tentacles of his absorb lots of precious HP if they catch you. When they wiggle, then it's time for you to fall back and wait for your stamina to fill before trying to hurt him again.
  • When you are refilling aforementioned stamina, watch your feet for shadows. If you see a shadow go forward or back immediately unless you want some pizza on your face.
  • Let him swallow you at least once. There is nothing more irritating than fighting him for so long and then watching him refill his stamina. Once swallowed tap the attack buttons immediately to avoid being digested.
  • Don't rely on magic TOO much. It takes a some time to charge your spell during which you are vulnerable to attack. More often than not you will have some pizza landing on your face before your spell fires. Use spell only after you've dodged a barrage of pizza attacks and even then get ready to move away.
  • Daggers are a bit more fast and reliable for distance fighting, but the same advice for magic goes. Only throw a dagger when you've dodged a barrage of pizza attacks and get ready to go away.
  • This is important: DON'T RUSH. Concentrate on dodging the attacks and keeping your stamina full. You'll get him eventually.

I have a neat idea for some "merchan-disin'" (cue Yoghurt voice in Spaceballs).

How about selling some "I beat the Pizza Elemental" T-shirts?

Hey, if it worked for Infocom*, why not for AGD?

*Infocom once made a game based on "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Douglas Adams designed a puzzle specifically for the game that involved the Babelfish. Allegedly, the puzzle was so hard that Infocom decided to sell "I got the Babelfish" T-shirts to anyone that managed to beat the dreaded puzzle.