Game & Movie Sequels That Just Never Should Have Been Made

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

Game & Movie Sequels That Just Never Should Have Been Made

#1 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:55 pm

Of course, King's Quest 8 immediately springs to mind. I played only part of it before being totally disillusioned at how long I waited for that game to come out and what a disappointment it was. I mean come on, King's Quest games were all about helping just about everything in your path ...not killing everything in it! King's Quest 7 was inferior to the other games, but I still enjoyed it and at least it had Daventry characters. And no ugly 3D graphics.

Quest For Glory 5- I hate 3D so much. Not only would a traditional VGA or even SVGA interface had been nice, but there was so much more they could've done with this game instead of just bringing up almost EVERY character you interacted with in previous games and trying to wrap everything up. Quest For Glory 4 1/2 did that better!

Home Alone 3- everything about it just sucked! I don't think I even need to explain or justify this one. Home Alone 1 & 2 were my favorite Christmas movies as a child, and I guess still are. But the third movie just plain should NOT have been made. All of the McAllister clan is still there but represented by totally different people, and since Macauley Culkin was too old by then, the kid who played Kevin is just an annoying twerp who you hope the crooks nab-- and the crooks also suck! The chemistry with Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern was just hilarious, and chemistry like that so did not happen in this awful piece of crap.

Addams Family Reunion- Anjelica Huston and Christopher Lloyd turned down the movie, and Raul Julia passed away. Christina Ricci and the kid who played Pugsley got too old. The only original characters were Karel Struycken (Lurch) and...THING. Darryl Hanna plays Morticia. She was one of my all-time FAVORITE movie characters growing up; I went as her for 2 Halloweens in a row. It broke my heart to see what looked like a Hot Topic model with blonde roots put on a half-assed goth act. The whole plot was also just WEAK. Another movie + sequel I loved as a kid, with a second sequel that just shouldn't have been made.

American Pie ∞- The trilogy that spanned my high school years. The original was the quintessential teen movie. The second one was a fun sequel. The third one...wrapped up the series nicely and I think this trilogy was one of the LAST movie trilogies ever to accomplish this. But soon after, this whole string of American Pie related straight-to-DVD releases started flooding the market-- and a lot of them just suck! "The Naked Mile" was SO overdone and just plain sucked. "Band Camp" had it moments, better than Naked Mile and at least with a few original characters, and I haven't seen Beta House and probably don't want to and I shudder to think of any more movies will be made. I think the whole American Pie spinoffs needs to have a DNR card.

These are just my humble opinions. What other game and movie sequels do you think never should've been made?

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

Re: Game & Movie Sequels That Just Never Should Have Been Made

#2 Post by Asrai » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:43 pm

I think I'll probably be flamed for saying this, but The Matrix. I loved the first, and I loved the way the first movie ended, it was powerful and hopeful. The next two had some cool scenes, but over all, got way too bogged down in existential philosophy and messianic parallels. And I definitely wasn't thrilled with the ending. I just felt like.... "Oh... so that's it then? This is the great resolution to three movies worth of struggle and brain melting philosophy? MmmmHmmm..."

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by ulmont » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Master of Orion 3.

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:29 pm

I actually never saw the Matrix and subsequently, any of the sequels. But friends who had seen it told me of their disappointment as well, so you're not the only one who feels that way.

Oh! Another one I want to add is the second Harold and Kumar movie, Guantanamo Bay. It had its moments, but not the laugh out loud stuff like the first movie and a lot of it was VERY disconnected. "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle" was funny in that campy stoner humor way, like that horribly done scene with the cheetah and when Kumar's dancing with the bag of weed. But in "Guantanamo Bay"... who the hell was the girl Kumar gets all lovey dovey about...? She's never even mentioned in the first movie. I mean, the girl who lives in their building and goes off to Europe and Harold's in search of her, THAT made sense because you saw that in the first movie. The other girl definitely didn't make sense...

*sigh* Between bad acting, bad or complete lack of on-screen chemistry, horrid CGI graphics and no more wonderful special effects, and just disconnected writing and shallow plots...makes me miss great trilogies like Back to the Future even more. Or just GOOD sequels like Home Alone 2 and Addams Family Values.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:45 pm

Got to agree with everything you said about the Home Alone sequels, but I think the one you're referring to was actually Home Alone 4 -- a made-for-TV load of junk. They asked Daniel Stern to reprise the role of Marv, but he turned it down flat. For good reason too. Home Alone 3 was no better. The first film was hugely original for its time; the second was simply a rehash of the first, but it still worked because it used the same familiar concepts, music, actors etc. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Home Alone 3 and 4 were trashy films that simply tried to milk the franchise for all it was worth. Not only was it implausible that the same kid could be left home THREE times by negligent parents, but the great comic timing of the first two movies mutated into tiresome, repetitive gags which were entirely predictable and totally run into the ground.

I also agree with the Matrix comments. The first film was fantastic. The sequels, went waaaay overboard.

I'll go against the general consensus and say Rocky Balboa should not have been made. Something about that film didn't sit right with me. It ended the series on a pretty depressing tone, which I think was a big mistake. I also found the whole premise kind of tacky. And who the hell is this 'Steps' character? Crucial screen time that SHOULD have gone towards Rocky's tattered relationship with his own son was wasted on developing another 'son-like' character who had very little significance to overall plot or story. In the end, nothing happened with Steps at all, so... why was he even in the film to begin with? The movie seemed to introduce too many new loose ends without tying up enough of the old ones. I'm also one of the rare few who actually LIKED Rocky V. I thought it was a much more fitting end to the franchise than Rocky Balboa. Many people complained that they were let down when they discovered that the ending to Rocky V was "merely a street fight" and not another boxing match -- but seriously, we saw boxing matches at the end of ALL previous 4 films! I actually enjoyed the change of scenery in Rocky V, plus the plot elements involving the mentoring of Tommy Gunn and his eventual betrayal was intriguing the whole way through.

The Beach: Not a sequel to anything, but it was crap. Just thought I'd throw that in there. Enough said.

Terminator 3: I'm on the fence about this one. While I think a sequel was necessary... it really had a LOT to live up to, because of the glory that was T2: Judgment Day. These were big shoes to fill. Even so, I was hoping T3 would be much better than it turned out. Unfortunately, I don't believe it came anywhere close to matching the pacing, story, and character development between man, machine and human emotions of T2. Also, changing actors who are iconic for playing a certain character (i.e. Edward Furlong as John Connor) and killing off key characters always irks me; it's is jarring to say the least and usually a recipe for disaster (see Home Alone 3/4 above). Besides, James Cameron wasn't at the reigns for this sequel, and...I dunno... it just seemed like a 'shell' of a film in comparison to its predecessors. No pun intended.

Oh, I could go on and on. Those are just a few examples that spring to mind...

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:57 pm

Nope, I'm talking about Home Alone 3...I'm pretty sure of it...I didn't even know they made a Home Alone 4! Wow, it must've been another total travesty.

You know, there was the old lady Mrs. Hess next door who appears to be an enemy but Kevin helps her...she had the bag of bread she took home on the airplane and it got misplaced with this toy truck containing war technology or something, that the crooks had...so she gives the toy truck to Kevin and that's how all this crap starts...yeah, nothing at all like the first two GOOD movies!

To draw a converse on the topic, I actually thought Addams Family Values was better than the first one. Both were great however...the steaming pile of crap known as Addams Family Reunion definitely was not!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:05 pm

Here they are:

Home Alone 3:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119303/

Home Alone 4:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329200/

As you can see by the cast lists, Home Alone 4 is the one that reprises the McCallister family (and Marv) with entirely different actors. Perhaps you skipped Home Alone 3, and watched Home Alone 4, thinking that it was Home Alone 3? In any event, neither of those films should have been made. :D

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Either way from what I recall, it was a really sucky movie! That totally shouldn't have been made...

Now here's one where I stand a bit blurred on whether or not it should've been made...the fourth Indiana Jones movie.

Now I LOVE Indy. I've seen the trilogy movies countless times, the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Fate of Atlantis is one of the BEST adventure games EVER in my opinion (Last Crusade was cool too), and I tried to get as many other Indy games as I could.

So there were a lot of things I liked about Crystal Skull (especially the reprisal of a certain character, and what ensues), but not only did the opening REALLY suck, but I feel it went a bit in the same vein as Rocky Balboa where the whole gotten old and seen the son thing just went wrong... Shia LaBoeuf as a tough greaser? I thought he was too pretty boy and innocent for the part (hence not my type, heh) :hat Unlike in Rocky Balboa the character development was pretty good, but a lot of the movie just didn't feel right as a result.

But the thing that totally ruined it for me was the whole alien concept. Since when does Indiana Jones cross over with the X-Files?! They should've just left it at a lost Peruvian civilization, nothing more nothing less...not all this alien mumbo jumbo...

And the CGI fight scenes? Ack!!! Enough said.

A lot of hardcore Indy fans either loved or hated it. I loved the ending, hated the aliens and CGI, but am otherwise kinda neutral.

Dragonfang
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Dragonfang » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:33 pm

Star Control 3

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#10 Post by Senor Matt » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:49 pm

I would definitely agree with you on KQ8 FamousAdventurer. I consider that game one of the greatest travesties in the history of Sierra. However, I would disagree on QFG5. I didn't mind the changed graphics and I wanted to see all of those plot lines wrapped up, even if it did take the whole game to do it.

I don't even think that Home Alone 2 should have been made, it was exactly the same movie as the first one, only set in New York. And I am happy to say that I never even watched 3 or 4 because I assumed from the beginning that they would be steaming piles of crap. Straight to DVD movie sequels almost always are. That might be an interesting topic in itself. Can anyone think of a straight to DVD sequel that was not a pile of crap?

And to add one more franchise to the list. None of the Oceans Eleven sequels should have been made either, pretty much for the same reasons I give for Home Alone 2. I thought the first Oceans Eleven was great, but the next two were just the same movie. I thought that 3 was better than 2 though.
Last edited by Senor Matt on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:06 pm

Senor Matt wrote:Can anyone think of a straight to DVD sequel that was not a pile of crap?
Bender's Big Score. Though that's a sequel to an animated TV series, not a movie franchise.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#12 Post by Goilveig » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:32 pm

I liked Quest for Glory 5 quite a bit. The graphics may take some getting used to, but the gameplay is pretty good. There are some pros and some cons about the new interface but overall they weigh a lot more on the pro side. I'd put 5 dead center on the series (with 4 & 2 being better, 1 & 3 being worse).

As for sequels that never should have happened: The Neverending Story (maybe I'm dating myself to say I remember seeing the original in theaters as a kid). First one is good, the sequels are pure and unadulterated crap.

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:07 pm

Bender's Big Score was pretty good but a misleading title...

Beast With A Billion Backs had its moments but Bender's Big Score was better. I hope Bender's Game will be good.

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:16 pm

Re: Home Alone 2.

Sure, the premise may have been kinda exactly the same as the first Home Alone, but I still think it was a good movie. They were, and still are, my favorite Christmas movies. My sister and I always used to say "Crowbars up!" when we were kids and I had the Talkboy pen.

And come on, Tim Curry as the snooty Plaza Hotel receptionist! How can one not find it funny!

Fender178
Knight Status

#15 Post by Fender178 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:23 pm

I have seen some of Home Alone 3 and the plot of that movie is just stupid and the plot of the 4th is just as bad. Home Alone2 wasnt that bad of a movie. I totally agree about KQ8. They should have stopped at 7. With Home Alone they should have stopped at 2. Some Disney movie sequels shouldnt have been made. One primary example is Cinderella have one sequel is one thing but having more than that is over doing it.

Well one thing about QFGV even though I have never played or any of em in the series until now that V followed suit as far as the style game that the QFG games were. Unlike KQ8 which didnt even do that.

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:38 pm

That's true I guess...putting QFG5 up was mostly out of a strong dislike for 3D* and the tradition of disappointing series finales/sequels. But there still some enjoyable elements to it at least in spite of some of the design flaws.

KQ8 = epitome of travesty! I mean, it was just bad. Who's Connor?! And though it was put out before the wonderful VGA reproductions of KQ1 and KQ2+...I don't recall Daventry looking ANYTHING like that. It's all gray and ugly, and since when is there a combat system in a King's Quest game?! This is totally one of the most ass games ever made.

(*-Exceptions: Super Mario 64 DS, RedJack: Revenge of the Brethren, and will definitely play KQIX when it's done)

MeshGearFox
Peasant Status

#17 Post by MeshGearFox » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:17 am

Skunny - Save Our Pizzas.

Not that Back to the Forest should've been made either, mind.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#18 Post by Senor Matt » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:57 am

Brainiac wrote:
Senor Matt wrote:Can anyone think of a straight to DVD sequel that was not a pile of crap?
Bender's Big Score. Though that's a sequel to an animated TV series, not a movie franchise.
I wouldn't even consider that a sequel, rather a continuation of a great series. I'm specifically talking about movie sequels. I can't think of a single straight to DVD sequel to a movie that was in the theaters that was not crap. Anyone?

soulfire
Peasant Status

#19 Post by soulfire » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:20 am

AGC2 they'd cast Edward Furlong for T3 afaik, but as he managed to succumb to drug addiction again, he was unfit for acting!
Kinda like Jersey Girl, was supposed to have Jay in it, but again, the drugs.

How about Star Wars: Clone Wars? The first two of the "new" star wars movies (I love revenge of the sith though!)? I thought the second Matrix was cool, the third one was just way different from the others and sucked the big one hard.

QFG3 - disgrace. I thought QFG5 was a much better game (and that's saying something).
Police Quest 3. It was just weird trying to give a gritty edge to the PQ series.
The third Legacy of Kain game.
Final Fantasy IX. FF7 and 8 were impossible to follow up. ON that topic, how about that final fantasy movie, what a shocker.
Blues Brothers 2000. Sacriledge to bring back BB minus the best character!
Fable: The lost chapters or whatever it was called. As if release another game with like 2 different missions.

How about musically? Metallica - St Anger anybody? :p

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 am

I agree big-time about St. Anger-- wtf was THAT?! Like most 80s metal, I still appreciate Metallica even though old school hardcore/punk is what I like the best (surmise it from the 77 at end of my name).

But St. Anger...ok, seriously, wtf was that?! Even though it's not a game or movie sequel, I suppose "disappointing albums" would be a separate topic.

But to get back to games: Monkey Island 4. Yeah, I know. How dare you pick on Monkey Island. But it TOTALLY lacked the same flavor as the first 3 games.

Now, as badly as a VGA/SVGA game would've been nice, Monkey Island 3 was still enjoyable. I remember playing MI2 all the time when I was 7, it was one of my favorite games and I must've played it through so many times by now that it's just more like an interactive storybook...thus when I heard there was a Monkey Island 3 coming out, I remember being so excited. Then the game gets released and I kept saying "Damn this crappy Mac household!" and didn't get to play the game until I was 15 and loaning myself a school laptop for personal use.

Now I thought that the cartoon-y graphics fit this game a LOT better than the Disney-like graphics fit King's Quest 7-- it was still aesthetically pleasing. True to Monkey Island form, you could also pick if you wanted the super-duper puzzles (which is the whole point!) or Lite puzzles. Also true to Monkey Island form was the sword-fighting system, when you sail the high seas and pick fights with other pirates up until you fight Nottingham. Those things did make the game enjoyable with plenty of replayability.

Though the ending was kinda lame...just a little snippet of Guybrush and Elaine sailing off into the sunset, all happily married? Okay, romance worked in 3 King's Quest games, as you see it develop over 7 games that Graham finds himself a wife in pure adventuring fashion, you see their kids do their adventuring and get married. (King's Quest 8 REALLY should've been Daventry: The Empty Nest!)

But in Monkey Island it just didn't seem right. If Guybrush and Elaine were going to get hitched, more should've been developed with them and/or they shouldn't have until the 4th game...since we have other Futurama fans here, remember how throughout the SERIES you see this huge development with Fry and Leela? And the way the series ended? Yeah, Elaine should've turned him down a bit more to make sure he was serious...

But maybe it was meant that way for the fans: so they would know that Monkey Island 4 was just going to be a sucky waste of time so the long-awaited Monkey Island 3 was worth stopping there!

You all know how much I don't like 3D, so no need to explain that. The combat system was just LAME! Who wants to write down a bunch of monkey language that changes with EVERY GAME YOU START?! At least in the first game, you got to learn the insults and their ripostes through more fighting. The 3rd game was pretty true to that concept too. But the 4th one? Was just ASS.

Fender178
Knight Status

#21 Post by Fender178 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:35 pm

Ya before my brother changed jobs to his current job he went to New Hampshire for to do a job for some one and he listened to one of the recent Metallica albums and he said it sucked. Also I have heard that one of the recent albums is about James Hetfield which stupid. Also from what my Cuz tells me (since he is a huge fan of the Old Metallica albums) said that James blew out his voice and since then any of the old good Metallica songs such as "For Whom the bell tolls" sound like crap now since every song they do now is de-tuned. Now to get back to topic

PQ5 Swat now that game sucked it had nothing to do with the previous 4 games even though PQ4 took a different route than PQ3 as far as story goes but still PQ4 was still in the adventure style of the 1st 3 games. PQ5 had no to very little adventure game elements all Swat had is becoming a member of LA Swat and doing cases.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#22 Post by Senor Matt » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:21 pm

I think that most of the last few games the old Sierra company put out before it's demise were really evidence of how the whole place was slipping in quality. Just a foreshadowing of what was coming I guess.

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:31 am

I think the same can be said about LucasArts...I haven't been up to speed on them in eons, and the games they put out now are just not my type. Being a hardcore Indy fan, I remember getting a demo of The Emperor's Tomb but I thought it looked like yet another sucky new-generation game so I never bothered buying the full version.

But I mean come on, Monkey Island 4 was pretty bad. Not as horrid as King's Quest 8 (I think we're all on a consensus that THAT game reigns at the top for "Game Sequels That Never Should've Been Made") but it was totally amiss IMHO.

Which now that I really think about it...I remember being so upset that there wasn't going to be a Full Throttle 2. But maybe it's for the better...a great classic probably also would've butchered to god knows what. They probably would've made Ben and Maureen already married or something. Or she'd be one of those CEOs-turned-soccer-moms until the Vultures came back to get her for some lame tangent that didn't have a precursor in the first game, in some horridly designed 3D GUI.

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by Muadeeb » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:16 pm

Fender178 wrote:PQ5 Swat now that game sucked it had nothing to do with the previous 4 games even though PQ4 took a different route than PQ3 as far as story goes but still PQ4 was still in the adventure style of the 1st 3 games. PQ5 had no to very little adventure game elements all Swat had is becoming a member of LA Swat and doing cases.
It probably had more to do with Sierra wanting to start a new series, and tagging this one on to PQ due to the cop similarities. IIRC, SWAT2 was released without reference to being PQ6, just PQ: SWAT 2. Interplay had a similar issues with the Free Space series. They couldn't release Free Space I with just that title, due to copyright reasons (failed disk compression program called Free Space), so they tacked it on to the Descent series, despite it having nothing in common. FS2 was released without the Descent tag.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#25 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:11 pm

US Marshalls was a poor sequel to "The Fugitive".

Though it's generally reviled among purists, as actually like "Snakes Revenge" as a game. (Sequel to Metal Gear for the NES)

Bt