Unreported saved games limit of 30

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

gordon
Peasant Status

Unreported saved games limit of 30

#1 Post by gordon » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:46 pm

I had really tried to search and find this issue here in forums but to my wonder I didn't succeed in that. Almost it seems to be only my problem because I don't believe nobody from many enthusiastic players of this brilliant game remake would come to it.

Just when I save 30 game positions (savegame files) the game let me without warning save others but rewrites with them already existing from newest to eldest (back with timeline). I didn't find any mention about it here in forum nor elsewhere. Conversely, I know from more sources the game should save positions upto 49 and then give dialog "replace selected game" with confirmation after choosing one which would be rewritten. I have Windows XP and version 1.0 of the game, and I play it first (no previous save game files were made).

In addition, I'd like to ask why the save game files are of so much size. Of course with common hard disks capacity it isn't such problem but I wondered when I had found out that every saved position is made by file of some megabytes (in my case since 2 to 5 - I came to Raseir). In comparison with Sierra's VGA QFGs it is incredibly much (besides similarly as the main game but that doesn't cummulate) - there one's used to save game still. Here I personally hesitate more. I would expect even nowadays much less place needed for data containing the information about actual hero's state and position in the game.

Nevertheless, many thanks for this very prospective project. Qfg2 was a hole in excellent and successful serie of adventure games. It would be a pity to let it there (and I would probably never get to make friendship with parser and walk through it).

EDIT: I didn't ask but it was meant as the question - has anyone know what could cause this?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Unreported saved games limit of 30

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:04 pm

The size of the save file is different from the original Sierra games because QFGIIVGA uses AGS, (adventure game studio) not SCI (Sierra Creative Interpreter). Also, the game isn't really "VGA", it's 32bit color (or 16bit, I could be mistaken) just styled to look "VGA". So it uses up a lot more room.

Bt

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Unreported saved games limit of 30

#3 Post by DrJones » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:19 pm

Adventure Game Studio includes a default save function. As that function is not game-specific (it should work for any kind of game), it ends storing a lot of unrequired info on each save file, that's why they are so big. I'm fairly sure that they could have written their own save/load procedures from scratch, so that they would be a lot smaller and version independent. The problem is that it's redundant work and it requires a lot of testing, as I'm fairly sure nobody would want to find a bug in such a delicate feature.

Though I suspect most of the size comes from it storing a screenshot in BMP format, which is the worst graphic format ever.