HOW TO: Play the Game in Linux

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

l3nsman
Peasant Status

HOW TO: Play the Game in Linux

#1 Post by l3nsman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:37 am

Why would you want to play the game in Linux? Well, first of all it's a challenge, and it appeals to our nature. Second of all, I am a huge Linux geek, I use it to get my work done daily, and I don't feel like switching to Windows whenever I want to play QFG2.

A few words of warning:

The following procedure involves installing Direct X and other Microsoft libraries in Linux. If you don't have a legal copy of Windows installed somewhere in your computer, there is a good chance you might get in trouble if M$ starts prosecuting people that install their dlls. You could try going the open-source route, but I don't know if it's going to work. If anyone manages to make it work the open-source way, please reply to this thread.

This is a guide for people that know their way around their OS. This means I assume you know how to install things in Linux.

(What? You don't know? Fine, go to System > Synaptics Package Manager, or YUM in Fedora and search the packages there. If you use Sabayon/Gentoo Linux type "portage [package name]" in a terminal window.)

OK, what you will need:
  • A Linux flavour installed in your computer. Personally, I use Ubuntu Linux.
  • WINE installed. Ubuntu users can get the newest version with 3d mark at http://www.getdeb.net if they want, however it is generally recommended that you install it from your repository.
  • WINE-Doors installed. Again, you may download it from http://www.getdeb.net if you have the Ubuntu flavor of Linux
  • The QFG2VGA setup program.
Once you have everything in order it's time to get this show on the road.

First of all, run the WINE configuration program. Choose the appropriate options and close it. A WINE configuration file will be created. It's important that you have it before you proceed to the next step.

OK, this is the step that could potentially get you in legal trouble. Run WINE-Doors and install anything M$ related. This includes Direct X 9, Media player 6 and 9, the codecs, the fonts and the runtime libraries. WINE-Doors will configure everything automatically so that it will work with WINE. I really don't know if that step is necessary, but I have personally only managed to make the game work like this.

Now right-click on the QFG2VGA setup program and choose "Run witn WINE program loader". The game setup screen will appear. Install normally.

Now for the tricky part. The game can not run in full screen. Also, The configuration program refuses to work in Linux under WINE so you will have to do it the dirty way.

Go to your file manager and press "CTRL+H" to view the hidden files. If the shortcut doesn't work, go to the "View" menu and choose to see the hidden files.

Go to the ".wine" folder. Now go to "Windows > drive_c > Program Files > AGD Interactive > Quest for Glory II"

Right click on the "acsetup.cfg" file open it with your default text editor. First of all, change the "Windowed" parameter from 0 to 1. Also change the screenres option to 2. Save the changes and exit.

Quest for Glory 2 VGA should now be fully playable on your Linux desktop. Enjoy!

xKiv
Peasant Status

Re: HOW TO: Play the Game in Linux

#2 Post by xKiv » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:06 pm

1) I dont' do it for the challenge. I do it because I have a linux box running 100% of the time and no windows box to run anything.

2) No need for those elaborate procedures. You only need directx9 to see the intro movie (AGDI logo).
I just installed the game (wine Qfg2Vga.exe -- the instalator), configured it (wine WinSetup.exe -- from the directory I installed into) and ran it (wine Qfg2Vga.exe -- also from the already installed directory).
I am pretty sure nothing more is needed.

rabadi
Peasant Status

#3 Post by rabadi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:04 am

Whoa... where were you guys when I tried (and failed) to run the game with Wine on Ubuntu about a month ago?

Will try it tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

xKiv
Peasant Status

#4 Post by xKiv » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:03 pm

rabadi wrote:Whoa... where were you guys when I tried (and failed) to run the game with Wine on Ubuntu about a month ago?

Will try it tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
I was dredging in my full-time $DAYJOB. Which has so far prevented me from getting past day 1 in the game :(

Note: I have wine 1.1.4 (soon-to-be 11.5), self-built. Earlier versions need not reflect my experience.

Also note: when it displays that message about DirectX 9 missing, just click mouse in the window. Then click on the "video error" message. Then it should skip directly to main menu.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:15 pm

I've been using Ubuntu to play AGS games for a while now. But seeing as I have a 1600x1200 desktop playing in a window is out of the question. I just set the game setup to play in 640x400 full-screen mode and it works fine. I don't care much about seeing the intro video and I don't think that there are any other videos in QFG2VGA other than the AGDI logo animation video. All you need to do is install wine and then install QFG2VGA. Works fine. Presto. Only thing is the mouse doesn't respond correctly as the acceleration is too fast or something which can be annoying. But that's all.