MY QG5 JUST BLEW UP!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

gogogoff
Royal Servant Status

MY QG5 JUST BLEW UP!!

#1 Post by gogogoff » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:18 am

MY QG5 JUST BLEW UP!!! just put it in my CD drive and it goes Bmmmmmmmmm, then a sound a Glass braking. it just when BOOM! an now I cant play QG5 =( I will up load some pics later

cyberdalekyeti
Royal Servant Status

Re: MY QG5 JUST BLEW UP!!

#2 Post by cyberdalekyeti » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:45 am

I hope you are all right and didn't get injured! I am asking because i remember watching an episode of myth busters when they were testing the speed of how fast can a cd take before they can break. And when it did break the force of the cd breaking shot out of the cd drive hitting the test dummies.
If it was an actual person he or she could have severely cut themselves.

John

gogogoff
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by gogogoff » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:21 am

PICTURES

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#4 Post by Schloss Ritter » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:57 am

"I'm not dead yet! Come back here so that I may bite thee in the kneecaps!"

Wild, man. Too bad the new "Sierra" doesn't really offer support for their classics any more, especially the old $5 (or $10?) disc/disk replacement service.

gogogoff
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by gogogoff » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:35 am

Schloss Ritter wrote:"I'm not dead yet! Come back here so that I may bite thee in the kneecaps!"

Wild, man. Too bad the new "Sierra" doesn't really offer support for their classics any more, especially the old $5 (or $10?) disc/disk replacement service.
ya that sucks, I wish I could find an ISO, or a extra CD of it or something, I mean I can prove I Bought the game, I have whats left of the CD. and it also killed my DVD drive, and that will cost 40$ to replace my DVD drive/burner =(

pikaporeon
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by pikaporeon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:44 pm

There are questionably legal ISOs you can find anywhere.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#7 Post by DrJones » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:50 pm

I think it was the other way around. The DVD drive was faulty, and it broke your QFG5 game in the process when it spinned the CD too fast.

If your DVD drive is under warranty, you can return it and hope for a new one or a money refund. The bad news is that you will have to get a copy of the game somewhere.

gogogoff
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by gogogoff » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:25 pm

DrJones wrote:I think it was the other way around. The DVD drive was faulty, and it broke your QFG5 game in the process when it spinned the CD too fast.

If your DVD drive is under warranty, you can return it and hope for a new one or a money refund. The bad news is that you will have to get a copy of the game somewhere.
nope, My brother is a Computer Tech, and I asked him about it, he said which CD, I said QG5, and he said ahhhhhhhh, old CDs sometimes brake and QG5 is really old, just buy a new DVD drive,

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#9 Post by DrJones » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:51 pm

gogogoff wrote:
DrJones wrote:I think it was the other way around. The DVD drive was faulty, and it broke your QFG5 game in the process when it spinned the CD too fast.

nope, My brother is a Computer Tech, and I asked him about it, he said which CD, I said QG5, and he said ahhhhhhhh, old CDs sometimes brake and QG5 is really old, just buy a new DVD drive,
Mmmm... I have looked here and seems that your brother is right about it, but the article states that you should call your drive retailer anyways in the small chance that the drive was faulty. But I think we'll never know. Consider yourself lucky for having no injury from this.

gogogoff
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by gogogoff » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:54 pm

DrJones wrote:
gogogoff wrote:

Mmmm... I have looked here and seems that your brother is right about it, but the article states that you should call your drive retailer anyways in the small chance that the drive was faulty. But I think we'll never know. Consider yourself lucky for having no injury from this.

yes I am so thankful, well now I get to find a DVD drive and a QG5 CD wish me luck =(

Chief
Knight Status

#11 Post by Chief » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:17 am

wow that is amazing! good luck

i've never heard of this happening to anyone else!!

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#12 Post by Senor Matt » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:13 am

For anyone who has ever heard of mythbusters, they actually did a bit on this very thing, and they showed that CD's can in fact fall apart in drives just like this, if they are old. Just like what happened here.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by Asrai » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:46 pm

Well that's scary. Anybody know how to prevent it from happening? My QfG CD is valuable property, I don't like the idea of risking its life every time I pop it into a new CD drive.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#14 Post by Schloss Ritter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:00 pm

Asrai wrote:Well that's scary. Anybody know how to prevent it from happening? My QfG CD is valuable property, I don't like the idea of risking its life every time I pop it into a new CD drive.
Burn and use a backup copy (for personal use only of course). We are still legally allowed to make a backup, right?

Fender178
Knight Status

#15 Post by Fender178 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:22 pm

Ya you sure are allowed to do this.

Man that sucks I remember hearing about this long ago. Sorry that you lost QfgV.

Also you can use an Iso making program and make a back up copies of every valuable old game that you have and if you have a dvd burner and you can make a data dvd or dvds of the isos and back em up that way.

gogogoff
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by gogogoff » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:53 pm

Fender178 wrote:Ya you sure are allowed to do this.

Man that sucks I remember hearing about this long ago. Sorry that you lost QfgV.

Also you can use an Iso making program and make a back up copies of every valuable old game that you have and if you have a dvd burner and you can make a data dvd or dvds of the isos and back em up that way.
Ya about 1 month ago I made back ups of all my games, but I did not for QG, because I had not played in a long time, and then I got an Email saying QG2 came out, and I started playing again, with out thinking to back them up. =(