Package for Mac? (Via Cider emulation?)

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alliance
Knight Status

Package for Mac? (Via Cider emulation?)

#1 Post by Alliance » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:20 am

Hey all.

I currently am running Mac OSX Leopard, and am looking for a way to play this using Cider. Currently, I'm looking through some guides and reading through the setup configs.

Anyways, would it be alright with the AGD's and crew if I packaged an "Unofficial" Mac port of QFG2VGA? I have yet to make AGS games work with any sort of Windows emulators quite yet (for hardware reasons that I won't talk about for now), but I think it'd be a good way to help the AGD's out in my own small way.

Also, playing it on this would be great.

But, I'm capable of packaging it, and if anyone would like to test it out, that'd be superb!

The only downside is that this would only work on Intel, I don't think Cider is available for PowerPC.
Last edited by Alliance on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alliance
Knight Status

Re: Package for Mac?

#2 Post by Alliance » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:00 am

Ba-Bump!

benjipenguin
Peasant Status

Re: Package for Mac? (Via Cider emulation?)

#3 Post by benjipenguin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:15 am

I don't think AGDI would want you to repackage and redistribute it. That would be illegal.

Try optimizing the Cider wrapper for the game, and then just distributing the wrapper maybe, without the game? What do you think AGDs? I'm a mac user that would LOVE to not have to reboot into Windows...

Alliance
Knight Status

#4 Post by Alliance » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:39 am

I meant that I'd get their permission, upload it somewhere, and they'd throw up a link on their site for it.

The whole point of Cider is to make it easier to package games, and I'd totally give them credit for everything.

HanClinto2
Peasant Status

#5 Post by HanClinto2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:42 am

We're having trouble playing it perfectly well on my wife's Mac -- we would be very interested in a Cider package.

benjipenguin
Peasant Status

#6 Post by benjipenguin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:52 am

Oooooh, that would be awesome! Now all we need to do is get one of the AGDs over here... Hmm, do you think we could catch them in a waterskin? ;)

LordQuinn
Peasant Status

#7 Post by LordQuinn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:59 am

I would definatly like that.. ^_^

Dominato
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Dominato » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:21 pm

Bump

l3nsman
Peasant Status

#9 Post by l3nsman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:54 am

Hm... I have managed to get QFG2VGA to run perfectly in Linux well using WINE.

As far as I know there is a WINE port for the MAC called Darwine at http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/

You could try using that until a Cider package is released.

EDIT #1: I just noticed Darwine is for Intel Processors only that the moment... Bummer...

EDIT #2: Just found this page:

http://blog.alantan.com/2007/02/compile ... tiger.html

You might find it useful. After you do that, you may use my Linux guide to get QFG2VGA running on your MAC.

Good Luck-You will definitely need it.

EDIT #3: Have you tried Crossover Mac, VMWare or Virtual PC? You can PM me on that matter.

Eleniel
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Eleniel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:18 pm

l3nsman,

I downloaded Darwine and was able to install QFG2 just fine in Leopard, but when I go to run the game I get a BadValue integer out of range error. I can't open winsetup.exe either (for that one it says something about making sure I have file access).

Any ideas? If not I have other means to play the game so no big deal. But I thought I'd ask anyway!

l3nsman
Peasant Status

#11 Post by l3nsman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:14 am

Sorry for taking so long to answer, but the thread got moved to the second page while I was logged off.

OK, as I said in my Linux Installation guide, you can't get WinSetup to run on WINE (at least it doesn't run in mine) and Quest for Glory can't be played in Full-Screen mode, so you have to edit the configuration file manually.

Just locate the file where QFG2VGA is installed. In Linux it's .wine>Windows > drive_c > Program Files > AGD Interactive > Quest for Glory II but it might be different in Darwine. Once you locate it, just open the "acsetup.cfg" with your default text editor. First of all, change the "Windowed" parameter from 0 to 1. Also change the screenres option to 2. Save the changes and exit.

The game should run flawlessly now.

LordQuinn
Peasant Status

#12 Post by LordQuinn » Mon May 11, 2009 2:05 am

With Darwine I can load the installer and install QFG2 on my Intel mac.
However when I try to play the game it gives me a font error. "fixme:font:WineEngRemoveFontResourceEx :stub"
I installed QFG2 on the Z: drive i think which is the main drive on the mac under the installer.
However how can I access the emulated C: drive in Darwine etc.
I don't really know how Darwine works that well so any help would be appreciated.

haradan
Knight Status

#13 Post by haradan » Wed May 13, 2009 7:32 am

The easiest way to access the C: drive with Darwine is to use the Explorer emulator that comes with it. Just start Winehelper, choose Open Application and that will take to the drive_c folder. Locate the windows folder in it, and choose Explorer. With that you can access the whole emulated drive, and you can move files from C: to Z: if you need them in your normal Mac folders.

Mind you, I haven't been able to run any AGS game with Darwine. If you manage to do it, please let me know. ;)