Possible QG2VGA Export Bug / QG3 Import Bug

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

thedatamatrix
Peasant Status

Possible QG2VGA Export Bug / QG3 Import Bug

#1 Post by thedatamatrix » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:05 pm

When I imported my QG2VGA non-magic using Paladin into QG3, the introduction I got was that for the Magic User instead of that for the Fighter. Everything appeared to be normal after that, so I ignored it. However, later on while playing QG3 I noticed that my magic skill had increased from 0 to 5. While I am adept at using memory editors and I can easily set magic skill and points to 0 in the game, I don't think (but I am not sure) that that will remove magic-using ability from QG4 when I eventually export my character. My question is:

Has anyone had a similar problem under the same circumstances (intro, eventually gaining magic skill/points)?
Has anyone had this problem with a paladin exported from QG2EGA?
Has anyone had this problem with any other combination of classes/QG2EGA/QG2VGA.
Remember I am talking about using a character that had 0 Magic skill/points at the end of QG2 and at the beginning of QG3.

I'd appreciate any response from the developers/community.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Possible QG2VGA Export Bug / QG3 Import Bug

#2 Post by DrJones » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:13 pm

thedatamatrix wrote:When I imported my QG2VGA non-magic using Paladin into QG3, the introduction I got was that for the Magic User instead of that for the Fighter. Everything appeared to be normal after that, so I ignored it. However, later on while playing QG3 I noticed that my magic skill had increased from 0 to 5. While I am adept at using memory editors and I can easily set magic skill and points to 0 in the game, I don't think (but I am not sure) that that will remove magic-using ability from QG4 when I eventually export my character. My question is:

Has anyone had a similar problem under the same circumstances (intro, eventually gaining magic skill/points)?
Has anyone had this problem with any other combination of classes/QG2EGA/QG2VGA.
Remember I am talking about using a character that had 0 Magic skill/points at the end of QG2 and at the beginning of QG3.

I haven't tried yet to export my paladin from QG2 to QG3, and I've never played with a paladin before, but don't they get their own share of spells? How will you cast Heal otherwise? :\

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by CGG » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:23 pm

thedatamatrix wrote:When I imported my QG2VGA non-magic using Paladin into QG3, the introduction I got was that for the Magic User instead of that for the Fighter. Everything appeared to be normal after that, so I ignored it. However, later on while playing QG3 I noticed that my magic skill had increased from 0 to 5. While I am adept at using memory editors and I can easily set magic skill and points to 0 in the game, I don't think (but I am not sure) that that will remove magic-using ability from QG4 when I eventually export my character. My question is:

For the introduction - the same thing happened to me, and I'm pretty sure it was not like that when i imported from the QG2EGA.

For eventually gaining magic, it has always worked like that. Paladins with no magic would get the ability because "healing hands" is considered a spell - kinda stupid, i know. Years ago, when i did my first play through, i would end up picking up other spells in qg4 (like Aura instead of the amulate) - which is sort of annoying. But it has nothing to do with the VGA remake.

thedatamatrix
Peasant Status

#4 Post by thedatamatrix » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:35 pm

CGG:
Thanks for your informative response.
At this point I'm going to try going through the game (QG3) as normal, and then setting magic points/skill to 0 at the end using a memory editor right before export. It will be interesting to see if QG4 as a result realizes I don't have magic ability. As a side-note, I played through QG3 earlier as a fighter and became a paladin at the end. This character did not gain magic ability, and imports properly into QG4. I'll let you all know my results with my current QG3 playthrough, though.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:35 pm

The Quest for Glory II remake exports exactly the same data as the EGA version .sav file, so the import-related issues are likely due to QFG3.

When asked to confirm your character after importing into QFG3, you clicked 'Paladin', right?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Brainiac » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:23 pm

Yeah, QfG3 and QfG4 automatically give Paladins 5 Magic points when Healing Hands is learned. It can easily be removed by using a hex editor, but with 0 Magic, the Spell submenu will not open, thus leaving Healing Hands inaccessible until QfG5.

Datamatrix, the character you had that became a Paladin in QfG3 likely did not have sufficient time to gain Healing Hands in the game. The first Paladin Ability, Flaming Sword, only requires 10 Paladin Points and can be learned in-game, but there's not enough time left to learn the rest in QfG3. However, the Paladin Abilities are activated by Honor alone in QfG4. I'd like to know how high your Honor was upon import to QfG4 for that character. If it was higher than the requirement for Healing Hands (I believe it's set at 225), check to see if you gained 5 Magic after import and if you can access the Spell submenu for Healing Hands.

thedatamatrix
Peasant Status

#7 Post by thedatamatrix » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:39 am

Brainiac wrote:Yeah, QfG3 and QfG4 automatically give Paladins 5 Magic points when Healing Hands is learned. It can easily be removed by using a hex editor, but with 0 Magic, the Spell submenu will not open, thus leaving Healing Hands inaccessible until QfG5.

Datamatrix, the character you had that became a Paladin in QfG3 likely did not have sufficient time to gain Healing Hands in the game. The first Paladin Ability, Flaming Sword, only requires 10 Paladin Points and can be learned in-game, but there's not enough time left to learn the rest in QfG3. However, the Paladin Abilities are activated by Honor alone in QfG4. I'd like to know how high your Honor was upon import to QfG4 for that character. If it was higher than the requirement for Healing Hands (I believe it's set at 225), check to see if you gained 5 Magic after import and if you can access the Spell submenu for Healing Hands.
After editing honor during the point distribution screen at the beginning of QG4, I started the game with a value of 200 for honor. I gave flowers repeatedly to the Rusalka to gain honor quickly and found that you can actually gain Healing Hands in QG4. However this causes you to gain 5 magic points, which pretty much guarantees magic ability in QG5. I guess the only way to import a user-made magic-less paladin in QG5 is to manually change magic to 0 at the end of QG4 before exporting.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Brainiac » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 am

thedatamatrix wrote:After editing honor during the point distribution screen at the beginning of QG4, I started the game with a value of 200 for honor. I gave flowers repeatedly to the Rusalka to gain honor quickly and found that you can actually gain Healing Hands in QG4. However this causes you to gain 5 magic points, which pretty much guarantees magic ability in QG5. I guess the only way to import a user-made magic-less paladin in QG5 is to manually change magic to 0 at the end of QG4 before exporting.
Oh, I know you can learn Healing Hands in QfG4. I'm just curious if you can have Healing Hands without a Magic skill. Oddly enough, I've imported a character who gained Healing Hands in QfG3 due to the Paladin Point system yet lacks the Honor necessary to activate it in QfG4. In this case, the ability still appears in the Spell submenu; however, that character had Magic. I'm curious if you import with higher than the necessary Honor and with no Magic if you can still open the submenu and use Healing Hands.