Hero's "gunslinger" pose during WIT initiation

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

spacecadet
Peasant Status

Hero's "gunslinger" pose during WIT initiation

#1 Post by spacecadet » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Just a quaint little tidbit I noticed a couple days ago... If memory serves, in the original QG2 during the WIT obstacle course, when you cast Calm on the earthen-wall golem after it reawakens behind you, the hero does this cute little "turnaround quickdraw" move with his upper torso and gun-like pointed finger, a la a "fastest draw" from Westerns. This seems not to have made it through into the remake; now the hero just "turns around" normally (i.e. changes direction between cells, no special animation) and casts calm in the usual fashion (no pointed finger).

I had to wonder whether this was simply a stylistic choice due to the fact that post-QG2 canon gave Calm (among other spells) that specific new animation with the golden-dust trails being "drawn" alongside the hero's body; which would make the QG2 "quickdraw" now hamper that continuity. Or whether there was a different rationale behind the decision not to incorporate this animation in the remake? Personally I found it to be a cute touch, as apart from the reference it also added to the scene's sense of urgency, having the hero turn around to "sling" a spell at the last moment before being knocked off the walkway by the creature's blows.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Hero's "gunslinger" pose during WIT initiation

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:34 am

Hmmm... I can't recall ever seeing this in the EGA version. I just checked some Youtube videos and didn't notice it there either. Are you sure memory serves you correctly?

spacecadet
Peasant Status

#3 Post by spacecadet » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:02 am

That's odd, I could've sworn I distinctly remember noticing that last time I played the original a couple years back. If it's not actually there, then my bad. Maybe I got it confused with a similar sequence from elsewhere in the game, or I could have just imagined the whole thing. Wouldn't be the first time a QG game has that effect on me :p

... Hmmm, just watched a Youtube vid of the scene and it's indeed the normal QG2 calm animation. Strange though... could it have been a once-every-few-tries easter-eggy sort of thing? I keep having this nagging feeling that I actually saw it and not just imagined it. Still, I suppose if it were anywhere in the original's code you guys would certainly have encountered it, so, must be me and my overactive imagination after all. :)

spacecadet
Peasant Status

#4 Post by spacecadet » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:45 am

Oh and BTW, just realized I haven't yet said a huge big CONGRATS and a heartfelt thanks to all of you guys for this truly amazing remake. It's a true work of art and a labor of love and it shows in every second of gameplay. The new battle system in particular is worth mention as a truly impressive piece of gaming, and as jolly great fun once you get the hang of it. And practically the entire game feels lovely. I keep being astounded by the extremely high standards of quality, stability, attention to detail and simple overall polish. As many people have said here over the past month, probably not many of the professional, paid teams currently around in the VG industry could have delivered an equal offering of this kind, much less a better one. It also perfectly captures the "Sierra feel" of their games from the early Nineties.

Also, pay no heed to the occasional slanderer and self-proclaimed "critic"; in point of fact, even though this admittedly is a 1:1 remake, there actually is a lot of new content in it, for most of us at least, since the point-&-click interface now allows for easier exploration of the game world and its many hidden possibilities, even for those of us who knew the original like the palm of their hand. Personally I find that just discovering many unfamiliar text messages and responses in the game that are now more reachable thanks to the new interface, is enough to qualify this as almost a new game in my eyes. In the original one would less readily happen to walk around trying things like, I dunno, talking to a scorpion, or offering various items to different characters; the parser system allowed us more freedom but left many of the zanier possibilities in the game less apparent to our imaginations.

So anyway, muchos kudos to one and all involved with this project and on the forums. It was worth every second of the wait, and I can safely say I'll be willing to wait even a longer time period for more games of this caliber and quality (whether it be remakes or, better yet, new and original games. I'll probably be buying Al Emmo sometime next year if I like it, I've yet to give the demo a try. I'll be keeping an eye out for your future accomplishments which I have no doubt will be even more... glorious).

Paladin Phoenix
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Paladin Phoenix » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:34 am

You're not incorrect in that the hero does have a kind-of pose during that section. You're just casting the wrong spell. Use Trigger instead of Calm, and the hero will do the standard Trigger pose (throwing the spell at an enemy). Kapow.