Huh !? A black screen !?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Katta friend
Peasant Status

Huh !? A black screen !?

#1 Post by Katta friend » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Hi all.

I've a little problem here and didn't find the answer in the forum : when I choose the " full screen " option when I run the game, all work perfectly, except one thing : the screen is... totally black :o .

I tried to change the settings but it still doesn't work. Can anyone help, please ?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re: Huh !? A black screen !?

#2 Post by Gronagor » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:19 am

You know. The usual way of doing this is to post at least on what type of computer your playing, your resolution settings etc etc. That usually make it easier for someone to help. :)

Katta friend
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Katta friend » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:28 pm

Ooops. Sorry :x .

So...

AMD 1800 with 512 Mo RAM
Windows XP with Service Pack 3
RADEON X1300 / X1550 series

The screen is 1280 * 1024, 32 bits in windows, and I run the game in 300 * 200

I hope I don't forget any important point :rolleyes .

The more strange is that I've tested others programs made with AGS and I didn't have that problem :o .

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:41 pm

So, are you saying that changing the resolution or applying a graphic filter still makes no difference?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#5 Post by Gronagor » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:52 pm

Is it black from the very start? (You don't see the disclaimer either?)

loh_key
Peasant Status

#6 Post by loh_key » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:56 am

Have you tried running it in a window instead of fullscreen? That fixed the display problems I had.

Katta friend
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Katta friend » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:23 am

Erpy wrote:So, are you saying that changing the resolution or applying a graphic filter still makes no difference?

I tried the four options in the settings (" use 85 Hz display ", etc.), 640 * 400 instead of 320 * 200 and it didn't work. I've also changed the resolution of Win XP in 800 * 600 (minimum) and the game still worked only in window mode - a bigger window, obviously :D .
Gronagor wrote:Is it black from the very start? (You don't see the disclaimer either?)
Yes :eek .
loh_key wrote:Have you tried running it in a window instead of fullscreen? That fixed the display problems I had.
The game works fine in window mode, in 320 * 200 and in 640 * 400.

Perhaps it's the same thing with Dos Box... it seems some games HATE full screen :rollin .

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#8 Post by Gronagor » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:07 am

LOL. :) I've tested the game on a number of computers with very different specs, and all of them worked fine with full screen. :) Sounds to me like your computer doesn't like full screen games!

If DosBox has the same problem, there must be something wrong on your computer. Unfortunatelly you'll have to go to the AGS forum with this technical problem. (It may be something installed/not installed on your computer that doesn't quite work with the engin.) *sigh* I'm just thankful I've decided years ago NOT to go into programming! The great variety of computers and setups must be a real headache for a programmer! :lol

Schrijvertje
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Schrijvertje » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:03 pm

That's why I switched to console games five years ago. Every PS2 can run every PS2-game. No installing, driver downloads, software updates, hours of Googling error messages, lag problems, video card failures, etc.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#10 Post by Gronagor » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Heh. And with the arrival of the next PS, PS2 will be pretty much extinct. :) No thank you... too much to pay for the console, the games and all, and too limited a tool. :)

Katta friend
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Katta friend » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:54 pm

Gronagor wrote:LOL. :) I've tested the game on a number of computers with very different specs, and all of them worked fine with full screen. :) Sounds to me like your computer doesn't like full screen games!

If DosBox has the same problem, there must be something wrong on your computer. Unfortunatelly you'll have to go to the AGS forum with this technical problem. (It may be something installed/not installed on your computer that doesn't quite work with the engin.) *sigh* I'm just thankful I've decided years ago NOT to go into programming! The great variety of computers and setups must be a real headache for a programmer! :lol
It seems you're right :x . I've tested this (wonderful !!!) game on another computer and the full screen worked perfectly, both in 320 * 200 and in 640 * 480.

So I must investigate in order to find why my machine is so capricious (Euréka, I've just invented a new adventure game : " The lost files of Sherlock Holmes : the case of the black screen in Quest for Glory II VGA " :rollin ) 8)) !

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#12 Post by Gronagor » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:27 am

"Elementary my dear Watson: You spilled your black tea all over the computer screen!" :p

Katta friend
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Katta friend » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:32 pm

Gronagor wrote:"Elementary my dear Watson: You spilled your black tea all over the computer screen!" :p
- But Holmes... my tea cup is still full !
- Just kidding, Watson. The true reason of that black screen is... the age of the graphic card drivers !!!
- I'm impressed ! You're really a genius, Holmes !
- I know, my dear Watson, I know.

(End of the case. Hum. " The lost files of Sherlock Holmes : the case of the black screen in Quest for Glory II VGA " is really too short. I give it a 1 / 10, just for the fun, and I'm generous :rollin .)

So, thanks to my brother for finding the solution - and to all of you for help - my drivers were too old, the full screen mode works perfectly now (both with QFG II and Dos Box) :p .

And good news for AGD team : no new bug to exterminate here :rollin .

Tifas Revenge
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Tifas Revenge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Schrijvertje wrote:That's why I switched to console games five years ago. Every PS2 can run every PS2-game. No installing, driver downloads, software updates, hours of Googling error messages, lag problems, video card failures, etc.
Well Hey, if we didn't have all those problems, Computer Networkers like myself would be out of a job!

- Tifas Revenge

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#15 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:45 pm

By the way, thanks to more lax quality control and hard drives now being in consoles, we're now seeing more hardware failure, bugs, and software/patch downloads for those as well :\