Possible to have HP, SP, MP bars at the top?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

oriel
Royal Servant Status

Possible to have HP, SP, MP bars at the top?

#1 Post by oriel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:29 am

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the various health stats of the hero at the top, like in QFG4. Would save alot of checking. Maybe in the next update.

Thanks,

Oriel

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

Re: Possible to have HP, SP, MP bars at the top?

#2 Post by ATMachine » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:32 am

I think the interface in QFG2VGA was much more influenced by QFG3/QFG1VGA (which didn't have that feature) than it was by QFG4. Plus adding it in might involve some ugly extra coding.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:36 am

Unfortunately not. A feature like that would take too much additional time and testing to add at this stage, plus we've used up the maximum amount of GUIs in AGS2.72.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#4 Post by DrJones » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:29 am

Just for amusement, let me introduce you to the Snowball effect [Wikipedia]. Applied to software, basically it means that things become harder and harder to change the longer the production goes. Choices like the garments of the Hero have a low cost at the beginning, before sprites are drawn, but that cost is higher later, when you have already drawn him in those clothes and a change would mean redrawing lots of sprites.

In this case, as all GUIs have been used, their only option would be to remove the one that they are currently using, and testing it again in all the game screens. Too much work, and the gain is not much (it may be even counterproductive, because now the GUI is not consistent between games 1 and 3, in a saga that is meant to be played consecutively).

Hope you enjoy the game!

Kotskoets
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Kotskoets » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:52 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Unfortunately not. A feature like that would take too much additional time and testing to add at this stage, plus we've used up the maximum amount of GUIs in AGS2.72.
Wow thats pretty lucky. Did you have to cut some additional features that requires GUIs that you wanted or did it just work out that way?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:12 am

It kinda worked out that way. There's a certain debug feature that used the last 2 GUI's that could be cut if we really needed more, but other than that I think the GUI's are all used in the game.

Kotskoets
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Kotskoets » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:58 am

Erpy wrote:It kinda worked out that way. There's a certain debug feature that used the last 2 GUI's that could be cut if we really needed more, but other than that I think the GUI's are all used in the game.

Ah thats pretty cool. Glad some sort of silly software limitation didnt doom the project!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:45 pm

AGS 3.0 has no limitations on GUIs anymore, but porting the game over to that could effectively mean starting beta testing over from scratch again.

gogogoff
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by gogogoff » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:40 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:AGS 3.0 has no limitations on GUIs anymore, but porting the game over to that could effectively mean starting beta testing over from scratch again.

so in 5 years we could see QG2 NEWER ? ;)

Katta friend
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Katta friend » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi all.

I'm not an expert in AGS, but... do the words on the top of the screen (" Quest for Glory II.......................... score 0 of 500 ") count as " GUIs " ?

In my opinion, the title and the score aren't very useful in-game information, do they ? After all, we know what game we play, and the score is already in the character sheet - like in QFG III, where there's nothing in the black part at the top of the screen.

So, I wonder myself if is it possible to have at least, instead of the green bars, numbers ?

Like this :

" HP : 100 of 100....... SP : 100 of 100....... MP : 100 of 100 "

:rolleyes

Tifas Revenge
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Tifas Revenge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:40 pm

I think if they made a new QFG2, it should be multi-player ;) Not sure which engines for adventure games will do that though.... it'd be a big departure from the traditional. Over at the GameFAQs board we were all discussing what if QFG2 was an MMORPG. LOL :)

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#12 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:50 pm

Meh, I suppose they could make an MMO set in Gloriana, but it wouldn't be a Quest for Glory. No one has been able to properly do the Adventure genre in multiplayer either. Even with an extra two-year delay after the single player content was released before the mutliplayer finally went on-line, I still haven't heard anything outstanding about Uru.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#13 Post by DrJones » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:24 pm

Schloss Ritter wrote:Meh, I suppose they could make an MMO set in Gloriana, but it wouldn't be a Quest for Glory. No one has been able to properly do the Adventure genre in multiplayer either. Even with an extra two-year delay after the single player content was released before the mutliplayer finally went on-line, I still haven't heard anything outstanding about Uru.
The Mortadelo y Filemón adventure games were multiplayer, and each player could control one of the investigators (as in the style of gobliins, but with more freedom). Each saga came in two games. If you bought the two, the installer would create also a third one for free. I still have them and were lots of fun, but now they refuse to run in my computer (I hope it's not due to the publisher being bought and sold in pieces). :(