Hex-editting hints and tips?...

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

Hex-editting hints and tips?...

#1 Post by goatmeal » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Hello, All !

First off (like everyone else here), thank you, AGDI, for all the hardwork remaking this classic -- I feel like it's Early Spring 1991 all over again, having just brought home the original 3.5" QFG2 EGA game from Office Max...

I realize that hex-editting my character will void my warranty, make my dog run away, stop my cat from eating dry catfood, and cause me an outbreak of halitosis, dandruff, and hangnails (not necessarily in that order). However...

After playing through completely with my Fighter from late 1991 [now a Paladin and 500 score pts -- yea!], I'm working with a Magic User from the same time period that is terribly weak; while it was enough from me to win the QFG1VGA-remake back in the day, here...he's weak...super-weak. It's the old Catch-22: I don't have enough money to buy Mana Pills to keep grinding, but I can't earn money because of the inherent weakness of my character.

I'm slightly above a novice when it comes to hex editting, but can anyone provide or PM with some pointers? I try to adjust the obvious decimal/hexdecimal codes for my stats, but either (a) they don't seem to make a difference and are ignored, or (b) they cause a data overflow in my agssave.XXX game file.

1) I'm using FRHED 1.0.156 to edit my agssave.XXX file
2) I'm trying to raise the stats only a little -- up to the 120-130 range (I fully understand the 200/250 stat limit)
3) Also, from lack of grinding, my magic spells are pretty pathetic, too. Any idea where those stats are stored?

From other posts, I know other members have successfully performed hex-edditing on QFG2VGA characters, and except for hex-editting QFG4 and QFG5, there isn't much on the web about it.

If this is not an acceptable post topic, please delete it with my apologies. I know the purpose of this forum is not to decontruct or reverse-engineer the hard work of AGDI, and this post was not intended to incite or inflame ill-will (what alliteration!).

Thank you.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Hex-editting hints and tips?...

#2 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:32 pm

I naturally don't advocate hex-editing since it can mess up your game. My advice would simply to simply keep training with Uhura to get your stats up somewhat and dismiss the idea that it's somehow mandatory to get all stats to 200 before the end of day 3. Once you have enough mana points, challenge Keapon (and Aziza) to quickly raise your magic skills and after a few games, to get free refills to your mana pool. Through magic games, your magic and intelligence will rise quite quickly and your upgraded projectile spells will damage monsters greatly. That's much more satisfying than hexing your char.

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by goatmeal » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:45 pm

You're right, Erpy.

Guess I was just looking for an easier way out. I have tried the Keapon game, but as analytical and logical as I like to think I am, I am failing horribly at it, over and over -- Too little patience in my old [middle-]age...

But, I felt that way about the combat system starting out with my Fighter -- TOO HARD, I thought. In the end, however, I really enjoyed the battle system you implemented <congrats, BTW>. I just need to give my mage skills some time, too...

Thank you for the reply!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:02 pm

I suggest reading CyricZ' FAQ on it. It contains a very good explanation of it and several tips. Or simply try Aziza's game...once you get familiar with the rules, it's actually easier than Keapon's game. And you get to the mana refill stage sooner.

Tifas Revenge
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Tifas Revenge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:24 pm

goatmeal wrote:You're right, Erpy.

Guess I was just looking for an easier way out. I have tried the Keapon game, but as analytical and logical as I like to think I am, I am failing horribly at it, over and over -- Too little patience in my old [middle-]age...

But, I felt that way about the combat system starting out with my Fighter -- TOO HARD, I thought. In the end, however, I really enjoyed the battle system you implemented <congrats, BTW>. I just need to give my mage skills some time, too...

Thank you for the reply!
I eventually did get it down on my fighter Let's Play, just after I killed the secret monster :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_A1cV0X ... B&index=18

- Tifas Revenge

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by goatmeal » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:41 am

Tifas Revenge wrote: I eventually did get it down on my fighter Let's Play, just after I killed the secret monster :)

- Tifas Revenge

Thanks for that video. I saw your techniques, and was able to defeat Keapon on my second try!

Were you able to get Aziza's game with your magical fighter? I think you need to ask Aziza about "Aziza" -> "Aziza's Magic" -> "Magic Games". Then you can challenge her to a game ("Challenge To Game") from your Tell Dialogue Box. At least, that's how my Mage was able to get to her game.

Enjoyed your "Secret Monster" video, as well as your Rick Roll... I restored my pre-Shema game ~20 times before I got Senor Astley this morning, too!

G

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by arganite » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:14 am

goatmeal wrote:
Tifas Revenge wrote: I eventually did get it down on my fighter Let's Play, just after I killed the secret monster :)

- Tifas Revenge

Thanks for that video. I saw your techniques, and was able to defeat Keapon on my second try!

Were you able to get Aziza's game with your magical fighter? I think you need to ask Aziza about "Aziza" -> "Aziza's Magic" -> "Magic Games". Then you can challenge her to a game ("Challenge To Game") from your Tell Dialogue Box. At least, that's how my Mage was able to get to her game.

Enjoyed your "Secret Monster" video, as well as your Rick Roll... I restored my pre-Shema game ~20 times before I got Senor Astley this morning, too!

G
Aziza's game is magic user only (Or is it Wizard only, I think you need to complete WIT first).

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Brainiac » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:53 am

arganite wrote:Aziza's game is magic user only (Or is it Wizard only, I think you need to complete WIT first).
The latter is correct; you must be a Wizard to play Aziza's game. It's rather amusing, considering that, unlike Keapon's game (or the WIT exam, for that matter), you don't need any new spells to play it.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:21 am

Indeed, it's simply something a person who also likes to give every new visitor a bothersome mini-quiz came up with.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Brainiac » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Erpy wrote:Indeed, it's simply something a person who also likes to give every new visitor a bothersome mini-quiz came up with.
In other words, a high-level Wizard. :p