LucasArts Renews Maniac Mansion IP

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

LucasArts Renews Maniac Mansion IP

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:35 pm

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: LucasArts Renews Maniac Mansion IP

#2 Post by Brainiac » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:39 pm

Hopefully if they do plan a VC release, they do it right. If, stars willing, it's a planned third game, GET THE OLD CREW BACK EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO PLEAD PATHETICALLY, LUCASARTS.

I wonder if they plan to go after Maniac Mansion Deluxe now (a little late to try, though).

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#3 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:10 am

Brainiac wrote:I wonder if they plan to go after Maniac Mansion Deluxe now (a little late to try, though).
I thought they already did. At least that's what the LucasFan Games site implies to me. Then again, you can still find MM Deluxe if you search for it.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:40 am

I don't think they actually did. As far as I know, the exact reason the site went offline remained unknown. It was taken down during the whole Vivendi/TSL-craze, but never got back online again. The few people on the AGS forums who spoke to Lucasfan afterwards seemed to imply that the "web appearance" was taken down by the team itself without Lucasarts asking for it. The exact cause and exact status of the team were never made public. I did hear rumors early during the whole thing that there had been SOME contact between the Lucas Company and the Lucasfan team, but that the latter was not particularly open to communication. Those were just rumors though. I don't think I've really seen Lucasfan on any of the other adventuregame forums he used to frequent before ever since.

I'm fairly certain though, that had the Lucas Company sent a cease and desist letter to LF-games, it would have been posted on the website.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#5 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:31 pm

Then it may be my other theory that LucasFan's Zak McKraken sequel wasn't as well received as he had hoped, as the site went down not long after people started negatively reviewing the game (mainly for the ripped backgrounds?). I never got around to playing it before losing the installer, so I can't say personally.

Ah well, I wish him success in whatever endeavors he's currently pursuing. There is life outside of gaming, after all... (did I just say that? :eek )

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:40 pm

Are you talking about the "New Adventures of Zak McKracken" game? I thought that game had been around for years...since 2002 or 2003 or so. I don't see why there'd be a sudden wave of criticism that could cause any reactions as radical as this one.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#7 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:59 pm

I thought it was something done after MM Deluxe, but I wasn't paying very close attention at the time either. Also, the LucasFan Games site has been down for a while now, some time between late September to early October 2005, according to the Internet Archive Wayback Machine (http://www.archive.org/web/web.php), apparently just after they decided to work on a new Indiana Jones game. Hmm...

Not that any of this matters now, as Lucasarts can't send a cease and desist to someone who already had. :alien:

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:04 pm

Yes, they were going to work on a game version of "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Not sure if that played a role or not.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:17 pm

Interesting. I wonder how that's coming along if it is at.

Broomie
The Enigma

#10 Post by Broomie » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Last I spoke to LucasFan. (shortly after the release of KQ3) he said there were no plans for Indiana Jones and had pretty much given up on it and LucasFan games. It was partly due to the whole KQIX controversy but before he said that he did mention that they were going to work on the game in secret but only appear offline. But I have no other information other than that, I'm pretty sure LF Games is no more. It's a shame as well because Maniac Mansion Deluxe was so good.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Life may have just overtaken LucasFan, honestly. The guy was studying to become an MD. Requires some pretty serious time and schooling.

Bt