Castlevania 2009?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

Castlevania 2009?

#1 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:38 pm

I first heard about this during the writers strike last year. It was shelved at the time but Castlevania the movie is now being filmed many websites have it but I only looked at one. But my question is do you think it will be another game to movie disappointment or do you think Dracula will score some more box office blood if he hasn't scored enough with his own signature line of movies.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

Re: Castlevania 2009?

#2 Post by Senor Matt » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:08 pm

Another Vampire Movie? And this one based on a videogame? That just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

Kotskoets
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Kotskoets » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:54 pm

It will suck. probably not as much as the Dragonball movie but it will suck.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#4 Post by Senor Matt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:01 pm

Oh man, don't tell me someone's trying to make a Dragonball movie too.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:59 pm

Senor Matt wrote:Oh man, don't tell me someone's trying to make a Dragonball movie too.
No one's trying to make a Dragonball movie.

They are, however, waiting to release one.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#6 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:21 am

I'll probably get 3rd degree flamed for this but don't get me on Dragonball. The cartoon sucked and the movie will bomb.Dragonball Goku says I will defeat you but I must train to become stronger. Dragonball 2 Goku trains all through the whole movie...

Dragonball 3 Goku trains some more by the end of the movie he fights the bad guys wins.Next sequel Dagonball 4 Goku says I will defeat you but I must train to become stronger. Dragonball 5 Goku trains all through the whole movie and then you get the picture. :smokin

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Muadeeb » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:17 pm

Wow, he fights AND defeats the bad guy in one movie?? That should take at least 2. If a video game/anime is ever to be made into a move, it should be done animated, or CG a la Final Fantasy.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Brainiac » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:35 am

Muadeeb wrote:If a video game/anime is ever to be made into a move, it should be done animated, or CG a la Final Fantasy.
And we all know how well THAT piece of cinema did...

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Muadeeb » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:10 pm

I don't think it was because of the CG, although it was still a little raw. I think it had more to do with the subject matter and release timing.

Remember: This was about the time FF7 was released to America. We had to get used to the fact that there were 3 FF games that we missed (2, 3, 5) and the game was wildly hyped. Due to this, it had a larger fan base than the previous games. People then get word that a movie is to be released, and I believe that everyone was expecting it to be along the veins of FF7, not an independent work. It wasn't until 9 that people really began to grasp that each FF was it's own work, with it's own rules.

People didn't get the movie they wanted until Advent Children came out.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Brainiac » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Muadeeb wrote:Remember: This was about the time FF7 was released to America. We had to get used to the fact that there were 3 FF games that we missed (2, 3, 5) and the game was wildly hyped. Due to this, it had a larger fan base than the previous games. People then get word that a movie is to be released, and I believe that everyone was expecting it to be along the veins of FF7, not an independent work. It wasn't until 9 that people really began to grasp that each FF was it's own work, with it's own rules.
FF7 - 1997 US release
FF8 - 1999 US release
FF9 - 2000 US release

The movie was released in 2001. If they hadn't figured the self-contained nature of the FFs yet, the fans were idiots. Honestly, the problem really was the movie didn't get the game fans excited enough to come out to theaters and it couldn't break out of the niche to get the general moviegoing public either. The scripting interference didn't help either; the Japanese film critics were particularly fond of pointing out that the filmmakers believed they understood English better than the English-speaking screenwriters (it wasn't as bad as Zero Wing, but it had moments that really seem like translations).
Muadeeb wrote:People didn't get the movie they wanted until Advent Children came out.
Now this is true. Though in part, it's because they reduced their costs and distributed only through DVD. It's a logical medium - presumably, the majority of people who played FF7 bought the follow-up system, the PS2, and thus have a DVD player. Same with the upcoming Blu-ray edition and the PS3 (though that's not quite as certain a presumption).