Thief run-through! Questions inside.

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

SirFuzzi
Peasant Status

Thief run-through! Questions inside.

#1 Post by SirFuzzi » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:18 am

I'm carrying a Thief through this run, since I did it was a Fighter with lots of Magic going for Paladinhood. (Paladinship?)

So far, it's fun, but a question; is the Silver Dagger an upgrade from normal daggers, or is it just like a normal dagger? I disarmed myself and just finished up using it to clobber Uhura, and was curious if it's any different or if there's anything neat about it.

Beyond that, I've already got 1 honor. Pawning that key for 30 dinars was well worth it.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Thief run-through! Questions inside.

#2 Post by Erpy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:46 am

You sold the key. I didn't expect anyone with a heart to do that, even thieves. Meanie.

Anyway, yeah, the silver dagger is an upgrade. Its power is closer to the broadsword than to the normal dagger. Not necessary getting rid of all your other daggers first...if you carry the silver dagger, you'll automatically fight with it. The only effect is more base damage though.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#3 Post by gamecreator » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:44 pm

That brings up an interesting question: to what extent is the character a thief, fighter or magic user versus a hero? The answer, naturally, is how you play him. Is there any conflict in doing smaller wrongs if the rights are greater? If you weren't a hero, would you still be a thief? If you weren't a thief, would you still be a hero? Does a paladin hero bring balance to the evil around him? Or does a thief hero bring balance to himself?

Excuse me. Just feeling philosophical and rambly. ;)

SirFuzzi
Peasant Status

#4 Post by SirFuzzi » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:32 pm

The Thief 'hero' is more cunning and craft a man than he is given credit for. He will steal; by sneaking into the houses of those who fawn upon him with doe-eyes, he will line his own purse with countless coins while making sure that all those who see him as a hero must do so in rags and from slums.

He will talk; while all will think he works for the cause of good, he makes sure his gold stays where it belongs, and makes sure that whatever he can/will get, he gets for as little gold as possible, or for free. He will do quests to slay monsters, take their hoards of treasure, then will return to take yet more money. Indeed, he is cunning.

What's more is that he will make the best use of everyone's sense of trust and honor. Those who give shall not receive; merely, they shall be played as fools in his game even further.

The Thief in this game will bargain for the sake of heroism (the incense, lamp, and earth, for instance), will achieve to receive (by way of the Elementals) and will gain trust to sell it (the key, for instance).

Indeed, he's a slimy punk. And I always play getting every slight point of honor; in fact, in my latest Paladin's playthrough, I even gave Rakeesh his favourite food, down to the last.

I figured it was time for a change of pace... I usually avoid playing a Thief because he hasn't got magic, and he hasn't got muscles, so he really has to rely on the situation to unfold to his favour.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:21 pm

SirFuzzi wrote:And I always play getting every slight point of honor; in fact, in my latest Paladin's playthrough, I even gave Rakeesh his favourite food, down to the last.
What is a Liontaur Paladin's favorite food? I thought you couldn't hold on to any food items in the game save rations.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Rakeesh has a fondness for pizza, as he admits in QFG5.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:32 am

Oh right, I forgot Rakeesh can be given a slice. Is there anyone else other than him, Shameen, and Shema?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:33 am

Yeah, Shameen and Shema accept it, as do Shihhad and Sharaf. I don't think any others do.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:26 pm

this topic made me think of a programming nightmare for erpy. Current combat system, current heros... online battles.

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by bugmenot » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:39 pm

What does it gain you to give all of them a pizza slice? And how many slices do you have?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:05 pm

You get 4 slices. The benefits:

- You get a reaction. Which is cool. Kind of.
- You get a slight honor boost out of it, which is nice if you're a thief who wants to regain a little bit of honor after stealing the black bird.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Brainiac » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:32 pm

Only problem is there are more people than slices. Pity. A decent-sized pizza is usually 8 slices, but I can see why that would be a bit overkill if you never gave any slices to others.

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by bugmenot » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:20 pm

Since you expect to get something out of Rakeesh (paladinhood), it seems giving him a pizza slice should be considered a honor hurting bribe...
Last edited by bugmenot on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#14 Post by Erpy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:47 am

By that standard, any action that gives you honor should in reality take it away since it hides ulterior motives.

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by bugmenot » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Well, you can't really compare saving the city and country to a plain out bribe like a pizza slice.

When you save lives, it beats any possible ulterior motives. That's exactly why thieves get honor too.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#16 Post by Erpy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:46 pm

So are you saying any action that gives honor, but is not necessary to beat the game (giving money to the beggar, giving flowers to Shema or giving the inn key back to Shameen) should decrease honor because it may be just a way to get your honor all the way up to paladin's level?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Brainiac » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:35 am

I have discovered a sixth possible NPC to give a slice of pizza (though there's no real difference between pizza or rations in this case). I hereby petition for a minimum of 6 slices in any future versions. :p

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:39 am

No.

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by bugmenot » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:08 pm

Erpy wrote:So are you saying any action that gives honor, but is not necessary to beat the game (giving money to the beggar, giving flowers to Shema or giving the inn key back to Shameen) should decrease honor because it may be just a way to get your honor all the way up to paladin's level?
First of all, Rakeesh is the one who ultimately decides whether you get paladinhood or not. Secondly, sometimes there's the honorable thing to do. I doubt food bribe constitutes such a situation (unless Rakeesh is a starving beggar).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Rakeesh determines worthiness of paladinhood by reading your aura (like your own paladin learns to do in QFG5), not by judging what he sees from you. (he isn't there to see you spare Khaveen or abstain from thievery) He's not a starving beggar, he's simply a friend you do something nice for. In fact, these small things like giving flowers to Shema, pizza slices to NPCs, food/water to Sharaf and simply greeting people when you meet them and thanking them when they do you a favor are all things that aren't really as significant as giving money to a starving beggar, but they're little things that make people appreciate you as a person and it can make the difference between good honor/communication and maxed honor and communication.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#21 Post by Brainiac » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:56 pm

Brainiac wrote:I have discovered a sixth possible NPC to give a slice of pizza (though there's no real difference between pizza or rations in this case). I hereby petition for a minimum of 6 slices in any future versions. :p
Erpy wrote:No.
Awwww, maaaaaan....