So how does it actually work?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

arscott
Peasant Status

So how does it actually work?

#1 Post by arscott » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:25 pm

I have a general idea of QFG stats, how they work, what actions are affected by them, and how high they can go.

But I have to ask... how do they work? If I have a 105 in agility, a 140 in dodge, and a 127 in luck, what does that actually mean when I try to duck?

I know strength affects damage, but how, exactly? What's the math behind 'skill checks' in QFG? Is it even constant from game to game or skill to skill?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re: So how does it actually work?

#2 Post by Gronagor » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:04 pm

That's part of the mystery. :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:27 pm

I have a general idea of QFG stats, how they work, what actions are affected by them, and how high they can go.

But I have to ask... how do they work? If I have a 105 in agility, a 140 in dodge, and a 127 in luck, what does that actually mean when I try to duck?

I know strength affects damage, but how, exactly? What's the math behind 'skill checks' in QFG? Is it even constant from game to game or skill to skill?
There's a lot of formulae being used. Probably too many to post. Ironically, ducking is unaffected by stats. If you press down at the right moment during a high attack, you'll duck and have 100% chance to evade said blow. Sidestepping, on the other hand, does depend on skill. Basically, the higher your dodging skill, the less chance you have it'll "fail". (meaning the hero does a semi-sidestep and can still get hit) In addition, if you sidestep and you get hit anyway (either because you did a failed dodge or because you sidestepped towards the blow) the damage reduction is higher the higher your dodge skill is. Ditto with blocking.

Attack damage is a random number with factors like weapon strength, physical strength and the type of attack thrown in.

arscott
Peasant Status

#4 Post by arscott » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:24 am

How did you get those formulae, erpy?

Well, you guys completely remade the combat system, so I suppose you made a lot of them up when it comes to ducking and what-have-you. But as far as stuff from the old game, what did you do? Extract the math from the game code? Or just play the game over and over again and deduce from experience?

JoshRotella
Peasant Status

#5 Post by JoshRotella » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:46 am

Bump.
arscott wrote:How did you get those formulae, erpy?

Well, you guys completely remade the combat system, so I suppose you made a lot of them up when it comes to ducking and what-have-you. But as far as stuff from the old game, what did you do? Extract the math from the game code? Or just play the game over and over again and deduce from experience?
Quite. I too would be interested to hear this, if it doesn't betray any trade secrets. 8o :) ;)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:42 am

We had access to the original game's source code. But the game doesn't always follow it verbatim. Things were tweaked here and there as we felt necessary while testing the combat system.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:15 am

The battle system's formulas were actually mostly made up by yours truly in order to accomodate the new battle mechanics. The original QFG2 had formulas for damage calculation (which was based on the idea that the hero and the monster only had one attack, damage-wise and often ranged between 12 to 30 hitpoints per attack) and parry/dodge effectiveness (which was always between 20% and 80% and was based on the hero's and enemy's stats) that just didn't fit in with the way battle worked now. I did keep the hitrate-formula mostly intact, although I removed the opponent's dodging formula from the calculation. (meaning that if an enemy was dodging, your attack would always miss, no matter how high your hitrate was)