So tell me why FF7 gets so many spin-off's...

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

So tell me why FF7 gets so many spin-off's...

#1 Post by FatherGhostface » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:19 am

...and the other FF games (who are just as worthy) get ZEELCH!

ACK!!!!!!!!! SHAMEFUL!!!! SHAMEFUL I TELL YOU! I would love nothing more than to see a spin-off of FF6 or FF9, but instead it's Sephiroth this and Cloud that. BLEH. Disgraceful. They are shoved down out throats practically all the time. If they weren't making Dissidia I'd bust a nut.

No really, who else would LOVE to see more of FF6 or FF9? Games like that have so much to offer, and they have the most original and funniest villains. Kefka and Kuja are amazing, as if I haven't boasted about Kefka enough (lol sorry, I know it's annoying), unlike Sephiroth and the others who are basically cut from the same cloth. SNORE. :x

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: So tell me why FF7 gets so many spin-off's...

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:05 am

simple, VII outsold every other FF. They did make X-2 but that was a bust so more VII spinoffs ensued. Not a lot to it.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:44 pm

Six Was great but really? Nine?
Nine was too easy, and in my humble opinion, pretty boring. I didn't get into any of the characters, and the story didn't really rock my world. It's the only Final Fantasy I've only ever picked up and played through once (although I admit I haven't played every Final Fantasy out there, I'm sure there's worse but I'm in no hurry to find it).
But I find people get mad at me when I talk about which Final Fantasy's I liked best and why, so I usually avoid the subject. I will say though, that I think they should remake something like FF Mystic Quest. No, don't look at me like that, it's not because it was OMFG TEH BEST GAME EVARZ! But because I think it's great to have a softcore RPG to ease new gamers into. Final Fantasy is a pretty intimidating franchise, and when gamers recommend RPGs, we tend to forget we're not always talking to people who want to power level up or sit through three hours of expository dialogue. So I think the franchise would benefit from a cheap, easy Final Fantasy lite.
But hey, that's just me.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#4 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:19 am

I can't believe this I just got done defending 9 in another forum and now here. 9 Is awesome it has a great story. Music is A++ and Vivi is awesome. I love the song Melodies of Life :) . Oh and y'all forgot Legend of the Crystals the often forgotten Final Fantasy 5 spin-off and come on Dirge of Cerberus is awesome if it didn't have a name to live up to it would have been an instant hit but being it's shadowed by the name Final Fantasy VII a lot of people put it down big time. >:

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by Lady Pyro » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:39 pm

seraphimdreamer777 wrote:I can't believe this I just got done defending 9 in another forum and now here. 9 Is awesome it has a great story. Music is A++ and Vivi is awesome. I love the song Melodies of Life :)
Oh well when you put it like that you've completely convinced me! I can't believe I missed all that while I was playing! /Joke.
I'm sorry, it's not something you can really defend, it's an opinion on how much someone enjoyed something. If I didn't like playing it through, no one on the internet is going to convince me that my gaming experience was secretly fantastic and I just don't want to admit it.
FF9 has lots of fans and high sales records. Nothing changes because one nerdy forum goer doesn't agree. But yeah, it's my fault for saying I didn't like it on the internet. I'll go back to not posting in Final Fantasy threads.
Sorry if this sounds snarky, it's not supposed to.
Last edited by Lady Pyro on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Brainiac » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:59 pm

Lady Pyro wrote:Sorry if this sounds snarky, it's not supposed to.
Meh, don't sweat it. People need to be more tolerant of dissenting opinions, particularly when it comes to something as subjective as the level of enjoyment of a video game.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#7 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:50 am

Yea don't worry about it. It's OK to have your own opinion Father Ghost Face said he liked FF9 gave his reasons. You expressed your reasons for disliking it. And I expressed my reasons for liking it this is one of the things a forum is for people differ in opinion . Like I said the same stuff in another forum about liking FF9 and Vivi was awesome blah blah blah! and this guy stated a fact that in a poll Vivi was voted one of the most annoying children in any FF game and I just responded well I'm probably the most annoying person in the world and that guys like me and Vivi need to stick together. And that was it. No biggie it's just a stupid game anyways one of my favs but still a game no reason to get your feelings hurt or vice versa.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:09 pm

I love Final Fantasy V. I played it for the first time in '97, on zSnes with a translation. Loved it.

Bt

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by gargin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:02 pm

What makes Final Fantasy 7 so great? Well, all the Final Fantasy games have been pretty great in their own way. Personally I don't feel that Final Fantasy 7 was much different than the others but I feel it had some major qualities that really immersed players.
The story was intriguing, it made you want to keep playing and at times made you really feel for the characters. The graphics were incredible for the time and the cut scenes were awesome! Good Music, etc... The list goes on, Final Fantasy 7 was a powerhouse of pretty much everything that is good in a game.

Now, why is it that it gets so many spin offs? Well, like QFG Fan said it sold a ton and has a huge fan base. Also, try putting yourself in the shoes of a writer. Final Fantasy 7 is probably the most realistic of the more recent games and the story leaves a lot to expand upon.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Yeah but FF6 offered alot of that to. Maybe not the graphics but let me tell you, A LOT of the things that were in FF7 were in FF6 first. A LOT!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#11 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:48 pm

Being the first 3D Final Fantasy also has a lot to do with it. FF games were probably seeming a little bland to Japanese gamers after so many games that are almost the same.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by gargin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:43 pm

QFG Fan mentioned something I had meant to but forgot. While FF7 wasn't the first FF game it was the first one that went 3D and took the game and RPG genre to a whole new level. Since then they have all been very movie oriented. Part of why FF7 was so successful was because it was the first of a new era of Final Fantasy games.
None of this means that the other games were not good. Aside from the interface and the basic story many of the elements of the Final Fantasy games show up repeatedly throughout the series.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:57 pm

Because FF7 is the best one...

...or something.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:12 pm

I actually hate FF7 with a burning, seething passion. Eff that stupid game right up it's stupid A. That's right. F it in the A.

Bt

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#15 Post by Spikey » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:35 pm

I hope I won't burn on the AGDI stake for this but...I hate FF period (excluding SoM, CT, etc). I never got into it. I really tried, but it didn't work.

Now I don't hate RPGs or anything; I used to be intensely addicted to Lufia: Rise of the Sinistrals for example, and still am addicted to the Fire Emblem series; and Quest for Glory of course.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#16 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:23 pm

I'm topsy turning on FF games. It's like if your kid were to go to the olympics and came in 8th. You appreciate the effort but you know it had potential to be so much better. Except instead of every four years it happens every four months. As far as spin offs go, sure Kefka's revenge would be bad ass potential but you know it'd end up being another Dirge of Cerberus anyways so let's all just stick our thumbs up our asses for the long haul and wait for XIII.

Note: I've played most of the spin offs and haven't liked any. I've played all of the main games and liked a bit more than half of them... excluding the fiery crap that is XI.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Brainiac » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:45 pm

Spikey wrote:I hope I won't burn on the AGDI stake for this but...I hate FF period (excluding SoM, CT, etc).
You will not burn for hating Final Fantasy.

However, for thinking Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger count as Final Fantasy...FETCH THE KINDLING! :lol

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#18 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:36 am

:lol Brainiac, I didn't even notice that little misconception. Does anyone know if Chrono Trigger DS got a release date?

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#19 Post by Spikey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:54 pm

I said NOT counting SoM and CT after all. I only said that because CT is sometimes paired to SoM, and don't want people saying z0mg u dunt l1k3 FFA???!111111!!!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Brainiac » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:23 pm

Those who pair Chrono Trigger with a Mana game shall also burn.

Also, Secret of Mana is not Final Fantasy Adventure. Sword of Mana is the name of the GBA remake (and thus the "official" title of the first Mana game).
Quest For Glory Fan wrote::lol Brainiac, I didn't even notice that little misconception. Does anyone know if Chrono Trigger DS got a release date?
Two weeks. Check the official website for details on some of the new features - there's even going to be a new ending (bringing the total to 14, I believe).

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#21 Post by FatherGhostface » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:17 am

I truly believe that FF9 was the best of them, next to FF6.

The reason why is because it stayed true to the TRADITIONAL theme of Final Fantasy. I'm sorry but as far as I am concerned, FF7 & FF8 were NOT Final FANTASY, they were Final SCI-FI. LOL!

FF9 was a true fantasy like game and it sort of reminded me of that movie, "The Dark Crystal" (which btw scared me so bad when I was little)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#22 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:18 am

A...new version of Chrono Trigger? With NEW stuff? MAN!

I hate hand-held systems, though. Useless to me. Is there a good DS emulator for the computer? Maybe I'll buy the game and then just play it on my 'puter.

Bt

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#23 Post by Spikey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:07 pm

BT: Yes, actually!
Brainiac wrote:Those who pair Chrono Trigger with a Mana game shall also burn.

Also, Secret of Mana is not Final Fantasy Adventure. Sword of Mana is the name of the GBA remake (and thus the "official" title of the first Mana game).
I know. That's why I said NOT counting them. The Seiken Densetsu series are only linked to Final Fantasy because of the North-American name of SD (which is no link to the series anymore at all, as you just pointed out). Nevertheless, both SD2 and CT have strong release ties (both Square SNES RPGs with battle systems directly on the map, which were rare at the time), as wel as a strong development affinity with each other AND Final Fantasy which can't be denied. Again, NOT counting them.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#24 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Well I'll probably be the one burnt at the stake for this one but I like all the Final Fantasy games including spin offs. My favorite of the main series is 6 but my favorite of the spin offs this is it I'll be flamed for sure X2. I thought it was a fun sexy twist on the job class system. Only problem I had with X2 was being able to go anywhere from the start making it super complicated but thats what guides are for. Take Suikoden series it's no fun unless you can get all the characters but with a character guide it makes the game so much fun. Man I might get flamed in a volcano for that last one.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#25 Post by Lady Pyro » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:18 pm

seraphimdreamer777 wrote:Well I'll probably be the one burnt at the stake for this one but I like all the Final Fantasy games including spin offs. My favorite of the main series is 6 but my favorite of the spin offs this is it I'll be flamed for sure X2. I thought it was a fun sexy twist on the job class system. Only problem I had with X2 was being able to go anywhere from the start making it super complicated but thats what guides are for. Take Suikoden series it's no fun unless you can get all the characters but with a character guide it makes the game so much fun. Man I might get flamed in a volcano for that last one.
:: Shrugs :: I liked X-2 as well. I thought of it less of a game though and more of an expansion pack, but I'm one of those people that likes running around after you've saved the world and having all the little virtual people thank you.
I do disagree on guides making the game funner though, especially for Suikoden. For me all the replay value came from trying to find out how to get everyone. That's not to say I didn't get stuck and need help (Honestly I can't remember if I did or not so I wont claim otherwise) but I wouldn't have had half the fun I did if someone told me straight for the get go how to do it.