Combat Spells Help?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

wdatlantis
Peasant Status

Combat Spells Help?

#1 Post by wdatlantis » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:30 pm

I am playing the remake, as a fighter with magic. I completed the original in all forms. It is Day 2, and I cannot seem to cast combat spells in battle. I know that the hotkeys are supposed to be q,w,e,a,s,d

Is it because of
1) my laptop?
2) the fighter's broadsword? (but I started a game as a wizard just to see and i couldn't cast spells there either)

any suggestions?

haradan
Knight Status

Re: Combat Spells Help?

#2 Post by haradan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:42 pm

Fighters need to drop (or better, store) their shield in order to cast spells. Wizards can cast spells if they already have them (you start the game without Force Bolt, for example.)

However you can not cast projectile spells if the monster is right in front of you, you need to be one or two tiles away.

R.A.B.I.D.
Peasant Status

#3 Post by R.A.B.I.D. » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:29 pm

Yeah... with the way combat works in this QFG2 remake (i.e., it's extremely difficult even as a Fighter), I find Magic Users are better off mashing the Escape button whenever enemies catch up to them if at all feasible.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Actually, much more than the fighter, mages can end battles very quickly if their spell stats are high enough. Zap does good damage and knocks monsters on their backs, dazzle is good to force a monster's guard down and charged-up force bolts and flame darts knock off large amounts of damage. Just don't get cornered.

Sharpshooter
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Sharpshooter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:02 am

Wait. A Fighter can cast spells if he doesn't have a shield? Does that mean you can use spells against Walid, Rakeesh, and Khaveen?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

No. It's only possible to store your shield during the Shapeir-part, so Khaveen must be fought in straight fisticuffs-fashion. Using spells against Rakeesh or Walid immediately aborts the battle. (though it's possible Rakeesh still tolerates Zap...I'd have to check)

Sharpshooter
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Sharpshooter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanks! I'll try to use a spell against Walid during my next playthrough, just to see what he says. :p

Kaleban
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Kaleban » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Erpy wrote:No. It's only possible to store your shield during the Shapeir-part, so Khaveen must be fought in straight fisticuffs-fashion. Using spells against Rakeesh or Walid immediately aborts the battle. (though it's possible Rakeesh still tolerates Zap...I'd have to check)

Unless I'm mistaken, when you start a challenge in the Guild against Uhura or Rakeesh, a little pop up message says you remove Zap from your weapon.