Easter Egg message in LAURA BOW: The Dagger of Amon Ra

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

XboxNation
Peasant Status

Easter Egg message in LAURA BOW: The Dagger of Amon Ra

#1 Post by XboxNation » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:25 pm

Ok, this is a random post.

I seem to remember as a kid playing the 3.5" Floppy Disk version of AMON RA, the second Laura Bow Mystery.

It was VGA as best I remember and totally MIDI based.

This early version was sold as a boxed individually packaged game with the bust of Ramses on the cover and a frightened Laura Bow in her green/blue dress holding a dagger and a magnifying glass with hands with a noose approaching her.

That's the version I am referring to, let me emphasize that. I've played OTHERS since then (Including 6 Classic Adventure Games pack from Sierra/LucasArts that I seem to remember including Amon Ra) and these versions did not contain the Easter Egg.

The Egg appeared when you looked at the sign on the building behind NYDRNT/The Newspaper Bldg. and across the (back) street. You couldn't cross that street, it was alternate the one you played on/crossed/hailed a taxi from. It was in the background.

The Egg was when you looked in the right place, or at the building itself, a description would read:

"The Ronald Reagan Home For the Mentally Bewildered"
(Description)

Now, I was too young to appreciate the wit there, and also, that was before I learned to love Ronald Reagan, which is a whole other story. But a game is game. The publishers or somebody saw fit to strip that from subsequent versions as far as I can tell however as all modern versions I've found or played do not contain this Easter Egg no matter how I look at the building behind the newspaper building.

My question is, does anyone else remember this? I know I didn't come up with something like that myself and I am absolutely certain that is the screen I got it from in that game.

Hopefully I'm not the only one and the floppy disk version including that phrase/description can be located for identification purposes.

Just curious. Feel free to send me a PM too if you remember that one.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

Re: Easter Egg message in LAURA BOW: The Dagger of Amon Ra

#2 Post by Spikey » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:12 am

I know for certain there were differences in easter egg messages, but don't remember that one in particular.

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

Re: Easter Egg message in LAURA BOW: The Dagger of Amon Ra

#3 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 pm

I loved Dagger of Amon Ra, it was a great game. Though the thing about the game that made me wonder, was that some of the verbal content was raunchier than the Leisure Suit Larry games. Heh.