Some thoughts on the combat system (SPOILERS)

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Some thoughts on the combat system (SPOILERS)

#26 Post by Erpy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:14 pm

It's an action, rather than something you actually say. Two words: verb followed by noun.

Sharpshooter
Peasant Status

#27 Post by Sharpshooter » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks Erpy! I did try a few actions, but obviously not enough.

*goes back to trying*

Say, by the way, there might be a very minor bug in the Ghoul battle - having your stamina at 0 does not actually kill you, it's just that you get a different death message if your Stamina Points are at 0 when the Ghoul kills you.

EDIT : Yay, I found the Aziza easter egg! I knew it was something perverted. The sound effects are, erm, interesting. :p

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#28 Post by Erpy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:34 pm

I never said having 0 sp killed you in battles with ghouls. That must have been someone else who didn't script it.

Sharpshooter
Peasant Status

#29 Post by Sharpshooter » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:30 pm

Oh, sorry. I thought having 0 SP against ghouls killed you in the EGA version - I believe I read it somewhere a long time ago, so I could very well be mistaken.

I've finished a quick playthrough as a Thief - combat is definetely harder, IMHO. Very enjoyable, though. And I love the rope minigames (I had to practice a lot to get the acrobat's minigame right). Oddly enough, I thought the second and last rope minigame was actually much easier than the first - I just kept hitting the left arrow key and never fell. But maybe it was because the Djinni had raised my Agility and Luck to 250.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#30 Post by Erpy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Oh, sorry. I thought having 0 SP against ghouls killed you in the EGA version - I believe I read it somewhere a long time ago, so I could very well be mistaken.
It did, but in the original your sp didn't recover in battle either. This was one of the things that was changed.
I've finished a quick playthrough as a Thief - combat is definetely harder, IMHO. Very enjoyable, though. And I love the rope minigames (I had to practice a lot to get the acrobat's minigame right). Oddly enough, I thought the second and last rope minigame was actually much easier than the first - I just kept hitting the left arrow key and never fell. But maybe it was because the Djinni had raised my Agility and Luck to 250.
Actually no...the last ropewalk doesn't take stats into account like the first one does. This way, the game doesn't force you to have insanely high agility and otherwise get stuck.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#31 Post by Spikey » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:09 pm

Thanks for taking the effort to type out these tips! Very useful! Just started on my second fighter playthrough, and still am getting used to the sophisticated battle system. I don't really like the fighter class in most of the other games, and now I know why. It must be my favourite in this one, mainly because of the battle system.

This adds value to the other games as well, it motivates me to replay all the other games as a fighter instead of mutating into a paladin. Great work, AGDI.

Sharpshooter
Peasant Status

#32 Post by Sharpshooter » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:38 pm

Glad you like it! And yeah, the only thing I liked about the non-paladin Fighter [in the third, fourth, and fifth games] is that he actually got points for taking out the Guardian Necrotaurs in QFG4. :p

A slight update...

Sweeping Sir James

Max HP : 90 (Magic User, Thief, Fighter) or 180 (Hybrid)
Defense : 3 (Magic User and Thief) or 4 (Fighter and Hybrid)

Swing : 9 (Magic User and Thief) or 12 (Fighter and Hybrid)
Slash : 8 (Magic User and Thief) or 11 (Fighter and Hybrid)
Dagger Toss (Thief and Hybrid only) : 10
Quick Dagger Toss (Thief, and presumably Hybrid) : 10
Flame Dart (Magic User and Hybrid only) : 25

Draw/Sheath sword (Thief, Magic User, and Hybrid)
Zap : boost physical attack once (including daggers)
Counterattack
Evasive sidestep
Parry

Oh, and Reversal will deflect the Flame Darts.

Also, for those who care, the Pizza Elemental's punches are called "Pepperoni Punches", the Tentacle Strike is called "Arti-choke", the Falling Pizza attack is called "Margarita Monsoon", the Tongue Strike is called "Fast Food Binge", and the healing ability is called "Japaleno Heal".

I like every class, but my favorite QFG character is probably the Magic User... I've always liked wizards. Weak in QFG1, decent in QFG2, powerful in QFG3, very powerful in QFG4, nearly invincible in QFG5. And then there's the fact that he's the only character who gets to choose between all 4 characters the Hero can marry, he's the only character who can play the wizard minigames... I like the Thief, too, he gets to explore places that are unreachable to other characters.

I like the Paladin, but my biggest complain about him is that, IMHO, he doesn't get to do enough good deeds. You can't even spare Khaveen's life, save Toby, or help the inn ghost, for pity's sake! :p
Last edited by Sharpshooter on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Broomie
The Enigma

#33 Post by Broomie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Wait a second... Sweeping Sir Ja... I meant... I'm actually in this game?! I just thought it was a reference. I've been so busy this past semester with work and filming I haven't had a chance to play this game to it's fullest and discover other awesome secrets.

Not to be lazy but does anybody have a saved game before you meet Sweeping Sir James? Or where exactly I can find myself? (no smart comments please :p )

Edit: Nevermind, I found a save file. The one where I mopped the floor with Sweeping Sir James? Awesome, I killed myself! Thanks, AGDI! :D

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#34 Post by Erpy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:40 pm

It's kind of a long story. At first there was merely the name that popped up when looking at the jackalman's head in the guild and Uhura stating that he was "an adventurer who made a career change and became a brigand". (a subtle little poke at IA that most casual players would miss) The alleyway brigand was still nameless at that point. Eventually, though, I started connecting some dots a bit.

In version 1.0, there was a very subtle allusion already that SSJ was the brigand roaming the city due to one of the graffiti messages reading "Sweeping Sir James was here", suggesting he was the one who wrote the messages that lead you to the confrontations with him. That and the nature of the alleyway brigand.

The reason to make the secret alleyway brigand and SSJ the same person was basically because the alleyway brigand kind of mirrors the hero...he can parry and counter like a fighter, he can toss daggers repeatedly like a thief and he can use zap and flame dart like a magic user. This kinda made him a bad version of the typical QFG-adventurer...an infamous adventurer as it were. Thus, the connection was made.

Version 1.1, which includes SSJ in the warrior's diary drops the subtle allusions and makes the whole thing official, since his entry in the journal bears his name. That and you can tell NPC's about him afterwards through the parser.

So yeah, that's kind of the story behind SSJ.

EDIT: And Sharpshooter...SSJ's hp only gets doubled when he's in hybrid mode. Both his fighter and hybrid mode get the attack and armor boost though.

Broomie
The Enigma

#35 Post by Broomie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Excellent. I'm honored to have this inclusion in the QFG2 remake! :) I found the whole brigand transformation quite clever but we're not THAT bad at IA. Okay, some of us are but we need something to make our group's name credible.

Don't worry, we've also got some digs at AGDI in our SQ2 remake. ;)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#36 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:17 pm

I'm too lazy to be a brigand. Broomie, however, can do a million things.

Bt

purple pants
Peasant Status

#37 Post by purple pants » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:51 pm

I may have missed this, but it seems you can't fight Sir James in the simplified city layout. The graffiti that should activate him isn't there and the graffiti by Aziza doesn't say more than the fact that he was there. Anyone know the answer?

adeyke

#38 Post by adeyke » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:55 pm

You do need the classic alleyway system.

purple pants
Peasant Status

#39 Post by purple pants » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:19 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Hey, nice in-depth review of all the combat system and monsters. Where were you when we were writing the copy for the game manual? :D

There are two additional things you can do in combat, which I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned yet. One is exclusive to the Jackalmen pack battle and the other involves the Alley Brigand.
Is there a way to have a single force bolt connect with more than one jackalman?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#40 Post by Erpy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:00 pm

No, I'm afraid not.

Sharpshooter
Peasant Status

#41 Post by Sharpshooter » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Erpy wrote:EDIT: And Sharpshooter...SSJ's hp only gets doubled when he's in hybrid mode. Both his fighter and hybrid mode get the attack and armor boost though.[/img]
Thanks! Edited. Hey, better late than never. ;)

ZachSchuster
Peasant Status

#42 Post by ZachSchuster » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:16 am

Is there a list for the keystrokes to execute some of the more advanced combat moves? Rakeesh and Uhura have told me a few already, but I've forgotten some of them, like the Skull Splitter and Rising Slash moves.

adeyke

#43 Post by adeyke » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:19 am

If you talk to them while you're in the training room, they'll describe the combos you're able to do.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#44 Post by Erpy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:26 am

Rakeesh is the one who keeps tabs on your sword skills. Even if he's not in the combat room, you can ask him about techniques through the parser and he'll tell you about them. You can tell type the names of the moves into the parser to get a description.

atomatic
Peasant Status

#45 Post by atomatic » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:21 am

It's an action, rather than something you actually say. Two words: verb followed by noun.
Bah, tried for this one, gave up. Anyone wanna pass me a hint?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#46 Post by Erpy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:40 am

The first word is "grab".

Nanuaraq
Peasant Status

#47 Post by Nanuaraq » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:Oh, sorry. I thought having 0 SP against ghouls killed you in the EGA version - I believe I read it somewhere a long time ago, so I could very well be mistaken.

What?? There ONE MORE rope minigame? I only found the one in front of the guild hall and the one at the endgame.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#48 Post by Erpy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:34 pm

Those are the only two rope sequences in the game.

Nanuaraq
Peasant Status

#49 Post by Nanuaraq » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:05 pm

Erpy wrote:Those are the only two rope sequences in the game.
Well, that's a relief, since I've deleted my thief savegames...

And by the way, I couldn't resist seeing what all the fuzz was about with the apparent easter egg at Aziza's.
Oh my, why didn't I think of that myself? I've always wanted to do that (who doesn't? :p )

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#50 Post by Erpy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:04 am

I assume most people of the other sex wouldn't. (in the end, she zaps your stamina to 0 and your health to 1, so other than a quick LOL, there's not exactly an advantage to it or anything)