My Vow

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

My Vow

#1 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:16 pm

As any gamer knows the name Atari is cursed since the day that Nintendo came along. And if I ever get rich enough to and educated enough to I think I'm gonna buy the Atari company and break the curse of it's name and turn it back into the dominant video game company it once was. I know it is a challenge but I think I can pull it off.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: My Vow

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:16 am

Why don't you just make a new company? And say you were inspired by Atari.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#3 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:24 am

I want to take a chance and possibly break the curse that has been on the Atari name. After all most of us got started on Atari wouldn't everyone here want to see it as something other than a fallen legend of video game history.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Lady Pyro » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:48 am

I dunno, I'm probably in the minority here but I don't get to broken up when a games company 'legend' falls after not having produced something good in so long.
They're not the same people who made the games you love (they're probably doing fine for themselves and still living off the cash form the golden years), and really all that's left is a name.
Personally, I'm more upset about the smaller companies like Free Radical going under, but that's mostly because I was looking forward to a game they were in the process of making, and that they were shot down before they could create their legacy.

But that's just me. I don't put stock in names just for nostalgic reasons, I like results.

MusicallyInspired

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:51 am

Right. Everything loses it's touch and/or charm after a while anyway. Sierra, LucasArts, Atari, Nintendo, Sega, you name it. I don't think it's healthy to dwell on what 'was' anymore, but instead start fresh and new with something else. After all that's why Atari and all those other things were so great back in the day: because they were new. They aren't new anymore so they can never be what they once were again.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:26 am

you forgot Microsoft, remember when people liked them?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#7 Post by Gronagor » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:43 am

Ok. That's going too far. Nobody EVER liked Microsoft!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:37 am

Yet, the irony is that we're all sitting around here making and playing fangames that attempt to uphold the legacy of another defunct company. :lol

Atari, like Sierra and Sega, don't really exist as tangible companies anymore. They've all become little more than publishing labels whose main purpose is to increase the popularity and marketing reach of 3rd party development houses.

I'm sure if you had enough money, someone might be willing to sell any of those companies off and make a nice profit. But why would you want to throw money away needlessly when all you'd be doing is spending millions to buy a company name? That money would go to much better use if invested into a tribute company with similar titles. Well, actually, you'd simultaneously obtain the IP rights to a company's titles with the purchase of the company itself. And Sierra/Sega both have some decent product lines that could probably still be revived with new sequels. But Atari? There's probably not a whole lot you could do by trying to revive their titles and you'd be taking a gamble on whether or not they'd still be commercially viable. Most gamers who grew up with the Atari 2600 console probably don't play many new games, and modern gamers wouldn't be overly familiar with (nor interested in) old Atari titles either, since Atari hasn't kept them on the same publicity forefront like Nintendo does with Mario Bros (a game from the same era). At AGDI, we're even struggling to get the same kind of download stats nowadays that we got when we first released the King's Quest I remake back in 2001. And that's in spite of the fact that we now have a much larger fanbase than we did then. Things change very quickly in the gaming world. Trends and titles die out fast as the demographics of game players constantly change due to target audiences of specific genres growing older and thus shifting their priorities from playing games to other things.

In short, if you ever become rich and educated enough to be in a position to buy Atari, by then you will also have acquired the knowledge to realize exactly why you shouldn't. ;)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#9 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:56 pm

Another of AGD2's killer spot on posts lol!!

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#10 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Y'all are right. I guess it was just a stupid thing to think that I could break the Atari curse and revive it to it's past glory.

MusicallyInspired

#11 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:19 pm

It's not a curse. It's just the way things go. Nothing can survive indefinitely.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#12 Post by DrJones » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:06 pm

Also, Atari right now is trying to return to game publishing and has the rights for the upcoming game Ghostbusters (which was already finished, and bought really cheap).

Knight Status

#13 Post by 1234567890 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:18 am

seraphimdreamer777 wrote:I want to take a chance and possibly break the curse that has been on the Atari name. After all most of us got started on Atari wouldn't everyone here want to see it as something other than a fallen legend of video game history.
How much do you think it'l cost?

Fender178
Knight Status

#14 Post by Fender178 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:32 am

Good luck on trying to buy Atari then make a good enough console system that could compete with the Wii the xbox360 and the PS3 or the next gen system. Or coming up with an idea for a console system that could compete.