The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

#1776 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:29 pm

Well, some of us like having no sex scenes in our games, astonishingly.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1777 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:44 pm

I really liked Indigo Prophecy (as my version is called) but it really did phone in the last hour or two and I was not at all pleased. Whenever I explain the game to someone I just end up playing the first two sections (Lucas commiting the murder then trying to find clues as Carla) explaining how the game play changes each time around. Heavy rain is the second PS3 game to make me consider PS3s at all but seeing as how my best friend just bought MGS4 it's still not quite as much of a pull factor to make me consider shelling out that kind of money. Also MI You can get 360s in Canada for 199.99 but you'd have to buy a hard drive for it and not have backwards compatibility or pay 299.99 on the "Hard drive included model" that has BC. That's actually what pisses me off most about PS3 to be honest. Each rendition gets worse and worse. If I were to get one I'd want the MGS4 bundle if only for the Dualshock 3 and Backwards compatibility. Also the fact that there are only a handful of exclusives for the console most everything else is available for 360. I'm tired/sick though so sorry if this post seems inane.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1778 Post by Lady Pyro » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:58 pm

See, this is what gets me. I want a PS3, but it has to be backwards compatible. Take out the blue ray and get rid of the online, if you have to pull things out to make it cheaper. I just want to be able to play all my games plus a few new ones!
I'll probably never get one though, The PS3 and 360 feel so rushed. All these different versions just make the whole thing extremely threatening to anyone who doesn't have a Masters Degree in Legacy Gaming.
I can understand, from a marketing P.O.V why releasing all the consoles at the same time is ideal, but it doesn't seem worth it if you're just going to bomb the whole thing and have half working systems, no games and outrageous prices, when an extra year would have solved all those problems. (Now everyone is to busy trying to clean up the mess they made to focus on fixing the problems at the roots, I'm looking at you Sony)
I can see why more people, especially new gamers, opt for the Wii.
/rant.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1779 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:05 pm

my household was a wii60 one until I moved out for school where I got the 360 and my brother kept the wii (as I paid for the x box and my brother got the wii as a Christmas present) I can honestly say I never miss my wii. I'm perfectly happy with my 360 (despite having to send it back once) and really prefer the gaming experience on it. The wii just didn't have many titles I was excited about. I suppose it's because I didn't like the original Metroid prime and as much as I like the story (or lack of) in Zelda I rarely complete them. The achievement system is also something I really like although thought was gimmicky at first.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1780 Post by Lady Pyro » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:20 pm

I'm not saying the Wii is better then the 360 or PS3, I'm saying it's more accesible, especially to casual gamers.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1781 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:05 pm

I think that was true at launch but now the gap seems to be there between consoles more prominently as the wii is only a few dollars cheaper than a BC 360 and now that most franchises have one or two titles in the series added.I think someone playing once a week is better suited to the wii but anymore than that and console shopping is for you.

MusicallyInspired

#1782 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 pm

Right now gaming just plain sucks all around. I haven't seen one mainstream popular game I was interested in buying in the past 3 years. I couldn't live without my Wii, though, as I have lots of homebrew stuff happening with that (emulators, ScummVM, etc). But as far as retail games for these systems go? There's absolutely nothing that's interesting anymore. Gaming sucks. I hope the market crashes again like it did way back before the NES came out so we can get another fresh new start.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1783 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:13 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Well, some of us like having no sex scenes in our games, astonishingly.
That's not what annoyed me, frankly. I have no problem with censorship per se, just some of its application. Something along the lines of Phantasmagoria, where you have internal self-censorship options within the games, makes more sense to me. What really annoyed me was the rename. Not only was it because apparently Americans are stupid, but the retitling slightly spoiled a few things.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1784 Post by greensenshi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:23 pm

Brainiac wrote:If you want the complete game, Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Director's Cut is available as a direct download only (and carries the retail death sentence that is the AO rating).
Where is this so called "download" you speak of, and how much will it cost me, and will they need proof of my age for buying an AO game?

Edit:
Lady Pyro wrote:See, this is what gets me. I want a PS3, but it has to be backwards compatible.
Wait a couple more years, and they'll roll out with like a 40 GB PS3 that will be backwards compatible. Right now, the PS2 is one of Sony's biggest sellers(or so I've heard), so it makes sense to not make PS3 backwards compatible right now.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1785 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:34 pm

I think 2008 was actually an amazing year for gaming MI. It was hard to keep up with all the games I was anticipating. Metal Gear 4, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2 and GTA4 to name a few. This year doesn't look as promising except for Heavy Rain.

MusicallyInspired

#1786 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:54 pm

None of those games are interesting to me at all. I'm tired of games with no linearity at all. "Sandbox" games like GTA4 have way too much freedom (and ironically, I've heard, not so much freedom at the same time). I've also heard that MG4 is crap. But I've never played a Metal Gear game as the whole concept isn't interesting. I honestly didn't know what all the fuss was about when they announced Snake would be in Brawl. He's not even a good character to play as in it. And the rest of them, well....boring titles. Everyone copies each other with game design and nothing is innovated at all. It's a mass production of clones with slightly altered skin and texture schemes. I'm tired of it.

The only game I'm looking forward to is Half-Life Episode 3 and MAYBE Ghostbusters (BTW I forgot to mention that The Orange Box was an excellent mainstream title that was available in the past 3 years, but it was the only one). Even Left 4 Dead, as awesome as everyone says it is, doesn't look like the appeal will last very long. I love a good co-op game but only for single-player campaigns.

It just seems that, for me anyway, no game has really ever gotten it "right" yet. But that's why I'm in communities like this one because I prefer older games to new. I get a lot of flack for "staying in the past" but the past is the only age where the games were really interesting. Games aren't interesting anymore. They're mass produced by businessmen who market their products based on what sells instead of what's interesting and innovative. I have little hope anymore for games until the market crashes, all the big-name companies go bankrupt, and we can start all over again with smaller-based companies like Sierra was back in the day who don't make games based on market research and, therefore, solely for money.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1787 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:24 pm

greensenshi wrote:
Brainiac wrote:If you want the complete game, Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Director's Cut is available as a direct download only (and carries the retail death sentence that is the AO rating).
Where is this so called "download" you speak of, and how much will it cost me, and will they need proof of my age for buying an AO game?
Direct2Drive. It's $20 for 2.36 gigs and I don't know how they go about age verification. It is restricted to North American downloads, though.

I kinda wish they'd put up the European version of Culpa Innata as well. The censoring they had to do there caused a few plot points to get screwed up (another point at which censorship annoys me).

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1788 Post by Lady Pyro » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:42 am

greensenshi wrote: Wait a couple more years, and they'll roll out with like a 40 GB PS3 that will be backwards compatible. Right now, the PS2 is one of Sony's biggest sellers(or so I've heard), so it makes sense to not make PS3 backwards compatible right now.
That doesn't surprise me. My poor PS2 died after years of loyal service and I had contemplated upgrading to a PS3, but for 130 bucks I could get a brand new, slim and tiny Ps2 with a controller, game and a movie (and for a limited time, 30 dollar gift card to Toys R Us).
Not exactly a tough choice.
Besides, the idea of my Ps1 and Ps2 games becoming obsolete and me being able to afford a whole one game for the Ps3, well they're not great selling points.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1789 Post by greensenshi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:13 am

Oh, I should mention that the PS3 I have(80 GB) IS backwards compatible with PS1 games. Which sadly is little incentive for me since I only own one PS1 game.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1790 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:31 pm

that's not as much of a factor but your ps3 is also one of the last to be able to play PS2 games as well which is a big deal for most people. I'm just not going to pay more for a system with less features and only 2 games I'm interested in. Fun side note, I own a 360 and completely detest FPS games. Isn't that strange? Also Halo is one of the worst and most unoriginal games I've seen become popular ever.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1791 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:22 pm

There has been rumours that Sony are going to release a 100% software PS2 emulator so that all models can play PS2 games. Its certainly possible, look at Singstar which allows the swapping of PS3 disk to the PS2 disks on any PS3 model!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1792 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:49 pm

If that emulator becomes reality, they'll probably try and charge for it to squeeze every last buck outta the fans.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1793 Post by greensenshi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:03 pm

I'd still buy it, as long as there's an add-on that lets me transfer stuff from my memory card to the hard drive.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1794 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:04 am

greensenshi wrote:I'd still buy it, as long as there's an add-on that lets me transfer stuff from my memory card to the hard drive.
There was a USB PS2 memory card adaptor thing that came out at launch for that.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#1795 Post by DrJones » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:48 pm

It seems that the new Indy game for the Wii will include Fate of Atlantis as an unlockable. Though it would have been better to say that Fate of Atlantis for the Wii will include a new Indy game as a bonus. :p

That's awesome news. Now the Wii finally got a good game! :lol

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1796 Post by Brainiac » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:01 am

That's a logical move, frankly. It worked perfectly for The Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP, after all.

MusicallyInspired

#1797 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:22 am

DrJones wrote:It seems that the new Indy game for the Wii will include Fate of Atlantis as an unlockable. Though it would have been better to say that Fate of Atlantis for the Wii will include a new Indy game as a bonus. :p

That's awesome news. Now the Wii finally got a good game! :lol
That's AWESOME! Best move LA has made in years!

EDIT: Waaaaiiiiit. I hope they're not thinking about the horrible action/arcade version...

Broomie
The Enigma

#1798 Post by Broomie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:19 pm

Other sites have reported it's the adventure game version. I wasn't aware there was another arcade game under the same name, anyway.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/03/india ... e-fate-of/

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1799 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:02 am

That is the best move they could of made!! Hopefully sales will be high cos of the classic game within!!

It also actually looks like a pretty good Wii game!! I'm kinda bummed with the Wii at the moment, its got so much potencial but there are just far too many crap games for it! Some games I've seen better graphics on PSP!!

I really hope there is a Wii HD soon, I think I can forget about a proper gaming console from Nintendo from now on though.

MusicallyInspired

#1800 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:48 pm

The graphics look like crap, but here's hoping the gameplay is better. It's not being made by LucasArts, so that's a glimmer of hope.

And yeah, Nintendo has had it. They had promise when they first announced the Wii but instead of becoming a gaming console for both "casual and hardcore" gamers it became a gimmick console for people who never play games. There isn't one interesting title outside of Twilight Princess (which runs better on the Gamecube), Metroid Prime 3, Brawl, and Sam & Max Season One. Notice most of those games are developed by Nintendo and only one is made by a third party company. But even Nintendo hasn't made any good games lately.