Unused background images from the 1990 Sierra KQ1 remake

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

Unused background images from the 1990 Sierra KQ1 remake

#1 Post by ATMachine » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:18 pm

Hello there!

I thought I'd share something interesting pertaining to the SCI remake of KQ1, what with the new AGD version released recently.

Image Image

This is how Castle Daventry looked in the SCI remake of KQ1. Obvious, right?

But this is how the same rooms looked in advance previews of the remake:

This is a very different design. Note the windows set in the castle walls and the much simpler design of the bridge. Plus there are wild ivy vines and well-trimmed hedges in place of the potted, flowered trees shown in the final game - even the water serpents' sprites are different.

Most notably, in the earlier version the guards are absent, and there's a large swath of purple floor beyond the portcullis.

Now let's consider what's on the other side of that portcullis.

In the final game, there's a courtyard:

And beyond that, the Throne Room. Note the purple carpet.

But there's obviously no carpet in the courtyard.

Now consider the same sequence in the original AGI KQ1.

In the AGI KQ1, the player started outside the castle. To meet the king, Graham has to open the castle door, walk down a long carpeted hallway, and finally arrive at the throne room.

Based on the above pictures, I think it likely that the initial design for Castle Daventry in the KQ1 SCI remake was based much more strongly on the version of the castle seen in the original AGI game. This may well have included requiring the player to enter the castle instead of putting that part in the introduction - hence the lack of guards. Obviously, this was junked at some point in favor of including an intro and closing scene which were more thoroughly fleshed out.

Incidentally, a couple of the above images come from the SierraVault online PDFs of InterAction magazine - it's really a great site.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Unused background images from the 1990 Sierra KQ1 remake

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:16 am

Nice! I wonder if the picture resources for those discarded versions still exist somewhere....would be cool to make a Lost Files add-on pack for KQ1SCI. It really looks like they were going for the same design as the AGI graphics with the water so close to the land and the simplicity of the bridge etc. I almost think it looks better.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:02 pm

I really love it when people find images like this. Gives insight into the design and creation process. Kudos to you, sir!

Bt

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#4 Post by DrJones » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:53 pm

For some reason, the remake finally changed the title from "King's Quest" to "King's Quest I". It's weird to have numbered the first chapter of a saga, but for some reason it got added on the final release.
Last edited by DrJones on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#5 Post by greensenshi » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:30 pm

My guess on that would be to differentiate between the AGI King's Quest and the SCI.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#6 Post by Gronagor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:50 am

I always loved the AGI hallways in the castle. So much more castle-like for me. :(

greensenshi
Knight Status

#7 Post by greensenshi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:29 am

Me too actually. As a kid I thought it was the coolest thing. That courtyard in the SCI version is just blah.