The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

#1801 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:29 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:The graphics look like crap, but here's hoping the gameplay is better. It's not being made by LucasArts, so that's a glimmer of hope.

And yeah, Nintendo has had it. They had promise when they first announced the Wii but instead of becoming a gaming console for both "casual and hardcore" gamers it became a gimmick console for people who never play games. There isn't one interesting title outside of Twilight Princess (which runs better on the Gamecube), Metroid Prime 3, Brawl, and Sam & Max Season One. Notice most of those games are developed by Nintendo and only one is made by a third party company. But even Nintendo hasn't made any good games lately.
Well I honestly could not get through 4 hours of Twilight Princess. Something about it just didn't hook me. Metroid Primes I've never liked (Hate FPS in general except for a couple exceptions) And I prefered SSBM to SSBB. Sam and Max I have on my computer. The Wii really was a bad choicefor me upon reflection but looking back there's not really anyway I could have known better. I still feel like I'm playing something "Last Gen" When I play on the wii.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1802 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:01 pm

My only problem with Twilight Princess was that it was pretty much Ocarina of Time 2.0.
Some of the puzzles and scenes were identical, and I breezed through parts that my other friends had problems with due to my frightening amount of experience with OoT.
It would have been the greatest Zelda experience ever (in my opinion) if OoT never existed, but since it does, I found it a great upgrade but too close to not be disappointing.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1803 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:09 pm

probably what it was. I also didn't like the wolf parts much. It seemed strange and foreign to me as if the game just found a gimmick and stuck with it.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#1804 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:15 am

Really? I thought Twilight Princess was at least three times as good as Ocarina of Time was. I don't really see how it's "Ocarina of Time 2.0", though. Sure it has similar features but then so do all Zelda games. That's what makes them Zelda games. Twilight Princess I thought was the most innovative and different Zelda yet. It handled gameplay completely differently from all the others. There were a lot more cutscenes, characters, and new innovative gameplay elements. I also liked how you weren't just the lone hero but you were actually helped at the end by that group of people you became a member of. The whole Zelda game defintely felt different but still retained everything that makes Zelda Zelda. When Ocarina of Time came out a lot of people said it was just A Link to the Past 2.0. Which, to be fair, is a little true. You got the same exact places with a light world and a dark world, except in OOT it was the past and future. Twilight Princess had the same idea but it handled it a lot differently. Instead of constantly switching between them the twilight realm takes over the light realm and you have to dispel it and it doesn't come back. I don't really mind the wolf thing either.

I don't really see how Twilight Princess had the same scenes and puzzles as OOT. Unless you're speaking about general locales, in which case that's in every Zelda game. Kakariko Village, Hyrule Castle, Master Sword hidden in the Temple of Time and/or Lost Woods. But I don't recall any puzzles being reminiscent of OOT alone and I'm currently playing through OOT and TP at the same time.

Overall I thought Twilight Princess was the most original, engaging, interesting, fun-filled and epic Zelda game to date. Much better than Ocarina of Time, which everyone seems to say is the holy absolute best Zelda game ever. I don't buy that because everyone said the same thing about LTTP when OOT came out.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#1805 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:04 am

Well I pretty much don't agree except for some things I like what I have on Wii.
But the Wii Shop Channels and the whole make Wii in to a fitness craze is where I'm turned off especially with Wii Fit which I wanted till I found out about weight limits cause most people that need exercise are like me 300 pounds or more. me 350.
Talk about a sales gimmick buy a Wii Fit and find out you can't use it and after all the money it cost. Good thing I learned it before buying one. and then pay about $20 per card for a Wii points card so you can play old games that are usually released in compilations for for that price for like 20 in 1 about $10 each. Now I think that is a rip with exception of role playing games.
And even then for those with PS3 or X Box 360 can get Sonic Sega Genesis Collection with Phantasy Star 23 & 4 and Shining Force 1 & 2 in a set with many other games.
And last but not least for 400 Wii points Flame me if you must but you should get all 4 original Super Mario Bros. or Donkey Kong,Ice Climbers,Mario Bros.,Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong 3.
One last thing I almost forgot there aren't no disks or cartridges Either.So I think the Wii Shop Channels is a rip off at the most.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1806 Post by Brainiac » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:14 am

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has noticed the teaser demo for A Fool and His Money. Observe.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1807 Post by Lady Pyro » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:02 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Really? I thought Twilight Princess was at least three times as good as Ocarina of Time was. I don't really see how it's "Ocarina of Time 2.0", though.....
(sorry, wanted to save space on the quote, not cut you off :D )

WARNING THIS POST CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR TWILIGHT PRINCESS!!

Don't get me wrong, it was better then OoT in many ways. And I prefer it to OoT, it just wasn't different enough from it for me. So I was admittedly disappointed with how easily I finished with 100%
Also, I played the gamecube version, if that makes a difference at all (I don't think it does though)
It's been quite a while since I played it, but I do remember talking to the TV (yes I do that) and thinking 'Oh? I have to do that again?' Here's a few, hopefully my memory isn't skewing things to badly:

o) Going to the three main elemental starter temples (forest, fire, water) to gather three pieces. Which when put together, epically blows up in your face.
o) Zoras domain is frozen! And the heir to the throne is missing again!
o) Changing the water levels in the water temple to reach previously unreachable areas. Although I have to admit, I liked the way they did it much more then OoT.
o) Hey look, Morph's back! Guess he forgot that hiding his vulnerable orb in watery tentacles doesn't work out so well for him last time.
o) Dodging Boulders (or Gorons) while climbing death mountain.
o) Finding Gorons while inside the fire temple.
o) The Goron leader went into the temple to solve the problem himself and has not returned. Hmmm...
o) Oh, the four poes stole the fire from four torches and ran away. Leaving me to find and defeat each of them before returning to the main corridor to open the door. Again.
o) A guy whose greed got him magically transformed. Now you have to defeat a certain number of hard to find enemies to restore him. (At least he didn't drag his family into it though)
o) Hey look, I'm playing Ping pong at the end boss again.

That's all I can get off the top of my head, I'd have to replay and make a list to find all the moments that made me go 'wait a sec...'
(I think Impaz and the Six Sages (well now five) were supposed to be homages to OoT, so they don't make the list.)
On that note there were many new things I loved, like the magnetic iron boots, and the end one-on-one with Ganon. Malo and the Oocoo scared me, but in an awesome, holy crap your creepy sort of way. The fortune teller helped me immensely in finding those last few heart pieces, and the wolf parts were really fun too. Oh and I ROCKED the cave of ordeals and stone/statue moving puzzles.
I don't think Ocarina was the best, Twilight Princess does get that spot in my mind. It is an obvious upgrade, it's bigger, prettier and when they do something new, it does it well. BUT I can't help being disappointed that there were so many parallels that made it way to easy to finish at 100% on my first time through (making replaying it hard for me. I had the same problem with Kingdom hearts 2). In my perfect world they never made Ocarina, and TP gets top marks.
It's hard to explain. I love it, but it still disappointed me.

MusicallyInspired

#1808 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:56 pm

Ok, I'll give you the frozen Zora's Domain and the Gorons in the Fire Temple, but most of the rest of those things on your list are elements from all Zelda games and not just OOT. Like playing ping pong with Ganon at the end. That's at least as old as LTTP (I still have yet to beat LOZ and AOL). And it was also in Link's Awakening and possibly Wind Waker I can't remember. Same goes for the "get the first 3 jewels/pendants in the starter temples and then something goes wrong making you have to go through an extra 5-7 more temples and gather more jewels, coins, whatever. And for the dodging Gorons bit, at least that altered that a little instead of just having to dodge them. I don't remember the four poes thing, but I'm currently replaying TP on the Wii so I'll probably get to it eventually.

And the only difference between the Gamecube version and the Wii version is that the game map is mirrored.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1809 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:26 pm

Zelda games do have a very basic formula with one gimmick added. LTTP was the light and dark world. OOT was the two time periods MM was the shapeshifting into other game creatures. TP is the wolf. PH has the talking hat. It's the gimmick you buy the game for but that doesn't make them weak. I judge Zeldas on Level design and atmosphere. Not much else you can base it on as the story is nearly identical in all of them and the game play hasn't changed much other than the gimmick.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1810 Post by Brainiac » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:15 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:Zelda games do have a very basic formula with one gimmick added...PH has the talking hat.
I believe you meant MC there.

PH = Phantom Hourglass and MC = The Minish Cap, for those not in the know.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1811 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:25 pm

ah, thank you. I had forgotten which was which again. I meant that PH had the sailing and cell-shading (which is recycled from WW)

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1812 Post by Lady Pyro » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:45 pm

You're right, some of those do predate OoT, but that only (to me) adds to the argument that they could have been replaced.
I just didn't notice as much going from LttP to OoT I guess. And I know I'm in the minority here, but Majora's mask felt less like a copy of OoT then TP (and it used the same models!) But gameplay wise, man was it different! Playing detective and watching the clock set a whole new pace and atmosphere, I liked it a lot.
And when TP did something new, it was (in my opinion) awesome! And it did it well!
The spinner was a neat idea, the setup of the fire temple was nothing like I expected (and to me, that's a good thing), the Snowpeak offered one of the coolest (no pun intended) temples, I loved the wolf bits and talking to the animals (I was more excited about being able to talk to Epona then in what she had to say :P), The double clawshot was a great addition, as was making the metal boots magnetic.
It just seemed unnecessary to repeat what (to me) felt like a lot of material.
But kudos to anyone who can look past that, it is a great game.

MusicallyInspired

#1813 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:40 am

Yeah, the snowpeak was the first time there was ever a snow level in a Zelda game, as far as I can recall. Except for Oracle of Seasons and the Ice Cavern in OOT, but that's a little different. I was excited that there was actually an entire snow area to explore.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1814 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:06 am

Wasn't one of the 4 corners of the Majoras Mask Map a snowfield?

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1815 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:51 pm

There was a snowy mountain, but the temple was nothing like the Snow peak mansion.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1816 Post by Brainiac » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Honestly, when you look at a lot of the repetitious elements of the Zelda series, you begin to understand Yahtzee's position about most of Nintendo's franchises being just the same game over and over again...

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#1817 Post by DrJones » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:22 pm

Brainiac wrote:Honestly, when you look at a lot of the repetitious elements of the Zelda series, you begin to understand Yahtzee's position about most of Nintendo's franchises being just the same game over and over again...
Well, I would adventure to say that the fans of Zelda have a lot to be blamed about it, but then I would be an hypocrite as I'm a big fan of Dragon's Lair games, which are even worse. :lol

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#1818 Post by Muadeeb » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Brainiac wrote:Honestly, when you look at a lot of the repetitious elements of the Zelda series, you begin to understand Yahtzee's position about most of Nintendo's franchises being just the same game over and over again...
But the formula works. If it didn't, Nintendo (or any other game maker) wouldn't keep using it.

You buy the games because of the familiar story. You know that you'll rescue the princess, defeat Gannon, and recover the Triforce. To me, it's more "how have they tweaked the story line", "What new features do we have to learn", "What new features do I have to avoid because they suck".

MusicallyInspired

#1819 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:Wasn't one of the 4 corners of the Majoras Mask Map a snowfield?
Well, I haven't really played through Majora yet. The timer really turns me off. I like to take my time in a game. Or at least know I can take my time. I'll get around to it someday.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1820 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:19 pm

Majora is the most differnt in the series and that's why I like it as one of the best in the series. In response to muadeeb though that's exactly why I don't buy Zelda games. Most of the time when a new one comes out that I might want to play I just play the older one that looks the same. Example: When 4 swords came out for GC I replayed LTTP that weekend and my fix was satisfied.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1821 Post by Lady Pyro » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:40 pm

I just beat Professor Layton with all 120 puzzles.
Man, it was NOT easy. Some of the puzzles broke my brain!
I haven't started on the Bonuses yet, but I hear I might not have much luck with them. :lol
Good game though, I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good brain teaser.

MusicallyInspired

#1822 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:10 am

Speaking of Majora's Mask, did anybody notice that the partial mask thing that Midna wears all the time slightly resembles it? The part that covers her one eye looks like the same eye from Majora's Mask there.......interesting...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1823 Post by Brainiac » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:20 am

Lady Pyro wrote:I just beat Professor Layton with all 120 puzzles.
Man, it was NOT easy. Some of the puzzles broke my brain!
I haven't started on the Bonuses yet, but I hear I might not have much luck with them. :lol
Good game though, I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good brain teaser.
Now go download The Fool's Errand (and the demo for The Fool and His Money) and know what true puzzle madness is. :p

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#1824 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:04 am

Zelda peaked with "A Link to The Past". I liked Ocarina of Time, but that's it.

Bt

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1825 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:32 pm

Brainiac wrote: Now go download The Fool's Errand (and the demo for The Fool and His Money) and know what true puzzle madness is. :p
I'm going to have to now! But I probably wont get passed the first bit. I enjoy puzzle games, but I'm not the quickest problem solver on the block. I needed a lot of hints to get through Prof. Layton.