Mel Brooks is writing a sequel of Spaceball 2

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Mel Brooks is writing a sequel of Spaceball 2

#26 Post by DrJones » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:01 pm

Lady Pyro wrote:Wow. Someone's got a wicked amount of time on his hands to do that!
Worse than that, it's not the only one I've seen that has done that.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#27 Post by Lady Pyro » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Why would anyone bother? Especially if they're leaving the forum, I don't see the point.

Broomie
The Enigma

#28 Post by Broomie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:02 pm

Ah, I remember this guy. He was a loose wire, he was okay at times but was very Annie Wilkes like. Ironically enough, I remember he told me that he loved me or liked me or something along those lines. I didn't quite know what to say at the time, so I didn't say anything!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#29 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:27 pm

Weird. I don't remember him.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#30 Post by Erpy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:19 pm

I do. (and so do you, Brandon) He posted here under several different accounts. (mostly with my permission, btw) He was a tad...shall we say...emotionally unpredictable and sometimes used drastic actions to deal with not-so-drastic situations. Around the latter part of his membership, he did something that majorly upset a large part of the community and I banned him for a month in order to let things settle down. I remember telling him he should take responsibility and just apologize instead of either disappearing completely or disappearing and reregistering under another name. He did and according to our agreement, I let him back in after a month. I don't think he posted a lot afterwards though. Probably moved on to other things.

MusicallyInspired

#31 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Are any of his posts still around? Er....threads I guess? (since he edited all his posts out)

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#32 Post by DrJones » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:38 pm

Last week I took a look at all the posts from the off-topic and game-making forum and found some topics whose title was changed to ".............". Thinking about it, the earlier posts of this forum (the ones that weren't deleted to save up space) are rather depressing, same with the AGDI threads at the AGS forums. There were a lot of trolls and morons like "The_RPG_Creator" that derrailed all the threads to talk about his great RPG game with 100.000 unique monsters and other people saying that KQ2+ sucked because it was an exact remake of a sucky game.

Fortunately, since I joined the forums it seems most of those people got bored and left, or stopped being 13. Now there is quite a lovable atmosphere here. :p

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#33 Post by Erpy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:51 pm

From the account in question, probably not. From his other accounts, probably. Come on, MI. You know one thread in particular. A memorable one. One that reached beyond this forum. Think WOLF!!!!!

MusicallyInspired

#34 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Wolf...........wolf........

I'm drawing a blank. I really can't recall this dude at all. Must be getting old. :p

Broomie
The Enigma

#35 Post by Broomie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:08 pm

I wonder what happened to SQ3VGA...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#36 Post by Erpy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:09 pm

EDIT: Drat. Brooms beat me to it.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#37 Post by DrJones » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:14 pm

SQ3VGA? Oh, it's goin GREAT!

hehehe

Bt

Broomie
The Enigma

#38 Post by Broomie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Erpy wrote:EDIT: Drat. Brooms beat me to it.

Sorry! :p

MusicallyInspired

#39 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:39 pm

SQ3VGA? Now I'm really confused. There were only two people that made SQ3VGA remakes and one of them was Alliance I think. The other I don't remember being any harm to the community, though I can't recall the name.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#40 Post by DrJones » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:51 pm

The story dates back to when The Silver Lining was still being called King's Quest IX. Vivendi sent them a Cease and desist letter and it seemed that the project was doomed to death. At the same time, the developers of Space Quest III (who wanted to do it in 3D for some reason) thought that they no longer wanted to work on that game, and told some person to update the website with all the material for someone to continue with it.

He, for some reason, updated the site claiming that they, too, had received a C & D letter and that maybe someone (from Tierra?) was the culcript for telling Vivendi so that they no longer could work on that awesome remake. Then you could see tons of crazy fans thinking Vivendi was prosecuting them for trying to improve their games, and that the fan games were doomed and that it was AGDI's fault, and crazy things like that.

Then the rest of the SQ3 team read the post and said WTF? and then hilarity ensued, with this man claiming he did in fact receive the letter and hid it from the other project members, while the others were telling him he was a liar and a moron. :eek
Last edited by DrJones on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#41 Post by Erpy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:05 pm

Yup, that was the guy. People in the thread weren't lead to believe AGDI had anything to do with the shutdown, btw...just that the SQ3VGA project was no longer going to be continued due to VU's legal intervention. Due to the whole KQ9-hysteria, this hoax pretty much fueled the flames of anxiety as it implied that VU was cracking down on any team that even STARTED a game based on Sierra's IP. Eventually, the project's leader (his internet name was Khaveen) turned up and cleared things up and we posted a list of sites that the news leaked to in an attempt to clear up the confusion.

MusicallyInspired

#42 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:54 pm

Ohhhhh yeah. THAT weirdo. I remember it coming out that he just said that as an excuse to cancel it or something. Though, I don't remember it being that big of a deal. Probably why I couldn't recall it because I was trying to remember a huge event a la LBCBR. Ok, all clear now.

But I still don't get the wolf part.

Broomie
The Enigma

#43 Post by Broomie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:00 pm

What Erpy is saying is that when he announced that his project got a C&D letter it turned out to be lie, a cry for attention you could say. Rather than just saying, "We tried to make this game, but certain restraints and dedication difficulties couldn't allow this to happen, we're sorry." he decided to use the same reason for the cancellation of KQ9 and say that SQ3VGA had also received the dreaded notification so the hopeful reception was more sympathetic than angry. This was an obvious lie just so he could get the appropriate response to the news, so it was basically crying wolf. A nod to the fable (or short story) of 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf.'

MusicallyInspired

#44 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:59 am

Ah, of course. How silly of me. Although, from what I heard what happened with TSL's "cease and decist" news wasn't all that dissimilar from SQ3VGA's in terms of truthfulness.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#45 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:13 am

Dr. Jones.... nice find!

And... Rog... who could forget Rog?!? What a character.

Bt

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#46 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:36 am

I remember Khaveen posting that they got no such letter but I think I had by the automatically assumed that Khaveen also cried wolf which was apparently wrong. The real Question is Why does Dr. Jones use a familiar signature.
DrJones wrote:SQ3VGA? Oh, it's goin GREAT!

hehehe

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#47 Post by Erpy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:24 am

Yeah, Rog/Phoenix Software/Alias basically cried "wolf". (Brooms' explanation of the reference was correct) The news did spread to quite a few forums as part of the whole Vivendi-hysteria that KQ9's shutdown sparked. (coupled with Lucasfan's decision to pull the plug on his site) I remember people were pretty suspicious from the start, but wondered if this was Khaveen's idea or something Rog did himself. Eventually, it was revealed that Rog did this on his own in an attempt to administer damage control to the decision of the team to stop their project...not realizing the consequences.

TSL's shutdown, on the other hand, was genuine. I was invited to a short meeting with the admins there before the news was made public because they were curious how we ended up not getting shut down and I didn't get the impression anything was a setup. That's just a silly community legend that was sparked in an argument between Cesar and Josh Mandel on Adventuregamers.

MusicallyInspired

#48 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:15 pm

Ah, I see.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#49 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:06 pm

Aw I miss all the best drama!

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#50 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:38 am

To get back to topic of Spaceballs...I'm kinda glad a sequel was never made. The glorious 80's won't ever happen again I'm afraid...and this decade was full of Sequels That Never Should Have Been Made, Period.

Though there's some kind of Spaceballs cartoon out now?