Do I have to buy a compass?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Elizabeth
Peasant Status

Do I have to buy a compass?

#1 Post by Elizabeth » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:12 am

Will anything happen if I don't buy a compass? I believe you get a few points for buying one (if I remember correctly at the moment), but I've beaten the old version of the game with each character type and have a general idea of where the griffin, oasis, caged beast, and Julanar are. I'm playing the new version for the second time (as a thief). I played it last time as a magic user and was able to find places in the desert after playing the old version a few times.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Do I have to buy a compass?

#2 Post by DrJones » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:19 am

Without the compass you won't be able to retrieve the skeleton key from LeChuck's ship. Other than that, you will be fine as long as you don't mind not unlocking some hidden extras that I shouldn't have mentioned as they were meant to be secret.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:26 am

Actually, Stan gives you the compass after you buy the ship automatically so it's impossible not to get the compass.

....I don't know about QFG2, though.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:07 am

In QFG2, it's just for points and for finding your way around. It used to be useful for finding your way around the alleyways as well, but since the skyline now differs depending on which direction you're facing, the compass isn't really needed there anymore.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#5 Post by Gronagor » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:05 am

'It points to what you want most'... ok. Not.