problems getting Quest for Glory II to work

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

kathleen
Peasant Status

problems getting Quest for Glory II to work

#1 Post by kathleen » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:58 am

Help Please -

I downloaded the game Quest for Glory II (yeah!!). When I try to play it, extremely briefly a dos screen comes up and disappears (oh man). The game doesn't launch at all. (dang it)

I have the Vista OS. Is there something special I need to do to make the game work? I've tinkered with the properties, compatibility, and running as administrator, but it still doesn't work. (heavy despondent sigh)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. If this is not the right forum for this, can you direct me to the correct place to ask for help? pretty please?

Kathleen

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: problems getting Quest for Glory II to work

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:11 am

The game was designed for Windows, so the DOS window that you describe sounds odd. (Unless it's the original Sierra version you're trying to run).

If you go to the Stat Menu/Program files, you should see a group called "AGD Interactive" with options for "Play Quest for Glory II" and "Quest for Glory II Launcher". Clicking either of those should start the game or launcher instantly. You should also find an icon on your desktop called "Quest for Glory II" which should allow you to run the launcher and start the game by clicking the "Play Game" button.

Did you download the game from our own website at http://www.AGDInteractive.com? If not, then you should go there (click on the "Games" link up top) and redownload it from our own site, otherwise there's no way to be sure that the files haven't been tampered with if it was downloaded elsewhere.

Knight Status

#3 Post by 1234567890 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:14 am

I think it's where you should ask.

about the problem... are you using the shortcut on the desktop?/ Try c:/program files (x86)/AGD interactive/Quest for Glory 2/setup.exe or something like that, then try 2x scaling, click save and run, and that might work... I don't have vista, though. I mostly use linux now anyway...

kathleen
Peasant Status

#4 Post by kathleen » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:26 am

I downloaded this from the AGDInteractive website to my flash drive - I have dialup at home so downloaded from a faster computer elsewhere. Could this be the problem? I don't have a group called AG Interactive in the start menu. I have an Icon named "Qfg2vga11.exe" on my desktop.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:32 am

No, downloading the game to a flash drive shouldn't be an issue, if you have enough space on the drive. However, there's always the possibility that the file could have become corrupted during the download process.

When you run the Qfg2vga11.exe file, it should take you through the installation process. This will set up the Program group for "AGD Interactive>Quest for Glory II" which I mentioned above. If that's not happening, and all you're receiving is a DOS window that quickly flashes on screen whenever you run the Qfg2vga11.exe file, then I guess it's safe to assume that your download got corrupted and you might need to download the file again.

kathleen
Peasant Status

#6 Post by kathleen » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:45 am

Thank you for posting these helps so quickly!!

I will try re-downloading when I'm on a faster computer and try installing again. I've waited a long time for this game to be finished, I really want to play it! Even my Mother has been inpatient since she found out you were re-making number 2 in the series. She has played all 5 of the Sierra games of QFG - okay, so have I. I've seen some of the artwork from the new game and can't wait for this to work on my computer. I'll let you know if it works. Oh, for broadband in a moment like this!!!!

Thanks again for your help!

Kathleen

kathleen
Peasant Status

#7 Post by kathleen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:48 am

Hi -
Just wanted to let you know that re-downloading the game worked!!! Have been playing it as often as I can. Thanks so much for your help and for your time in re-making this game for those that prefer/must use point and click games.

I must clarify a statement I made. My mother is 68 years old and the QFG series is amongst her top favorites - along with King's Quest. She is looking forward to playing the game when she feels better.

You've made her day.

Kathleen

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#8 Post by Gronagor » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:28 am

We all hope she has a lot of fun with it (and get wells soon!).

Funny how those old games touched people 2 decades ago.
Can't see people having the same memories of today's PlayStation games.