What's next for ADGI / Himalaya Studios?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

papste
Royal Servant Status

What's next for ADGI / Himalaya Studios?

#1 Post by papste » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:58 am

First of all i would like to thank ADGI for the awesome work they have put into reviving the old classics. Speaking for myself, i would definitely say that all the 3 remakes done by AGDI are not only up to par with the quality work of Sierra's most esteemed VGA titles, but they surpass any expectations. I loved all 3 remakes which get a 10/10 on my list of perfect classic adventures along with some of the masterpieces by Sierra and LucasArts. From the graphics, to the new details added in KQ2, to the programming behind the new combat system of QFG2 (which deserved alot more that just 1 AGS award), to the voice acting, everything was very professionally done and certainly deserve congratulations. The new website is also gorgeous, as are the 3 game sites.

Al Emmo was also nice, and i can see that a lot of work was put into it, tho the whole western setting with a silly guy looking for a bride wasn't the best choice for a game in my humble opinion. I believe Al Emmo would have been perfect if it had taken a more "adult" Leisure Suit Larry twist in the same silly western setting. Anyway i enjoyed the game nevertheless and i hope others have enjoyed it as well, even more than i did.

So now that KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA and done with, and since there are no plans for adding voice to QFG2VGA at the moment, i suppose it's time for ADGI / Himalaya Studios to get on with new commercial ideas. Is there any progress going on, some secret project that has already started? IF not, what do you think of starting a forum topic about commercial game ideas that the community would like to see implemented and would be willing to pay for?

Again thank you for all the hard work, you guys have proven your dedication and talent, ADGI rocks!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: What's next for ADGI / Himalaya Studios?

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:09 am

You're right, Al Emmo was probably not designed with the specific KQ/QFG-niche in mind that our accumulated fanbase consists of. If there's gonna be another commercial venue with Himalaya, it'll probably be more accurately aimed at the kind of games the AGDI-fanbase prefers. AGD2 recently said about this:
We do have a design concept for a new Himalaya Studios game. It's not going to be an Al Emmo sequel, but something more along the lines of a fantasy/adventure like King's Quest and Quest for Glory. Finding the necessary funding to get started on the project is proving somewhat difficult, though!
That said, a KQ/QFG-style (especially the latter) game would have its own risk...competition from our own projects. If we made a QFG-style game for example, it'd be unavoidably compared to QFG2VGA. Graphic-wise, we'd probably have an edge, since we'd use a higher resolution. Gameplay-wise, we'd have some extremely tough competition since we took our time with QFG2VGA, adding lots of extra stuff and polishing it to our best efforts. Since we had no true deadline, we could "afford to". (in a way) I'm pretty sure that fans would be quick to complain about "wasted potential" if a commercial project wouldn't be able to upstage QFG2...and we made it difficult to upstage.

I myself might be retiring soon actually. I recently got a new job and a new appartment to live in and I'm not sure if I could combine all that with work where an actual deadline, rather than my own motivation was responsible for the pace. I'd miss it a lot, of course, I enjoy creating stuff and especially stuff I designed myself. (the most enjoyable parts to work on in QFG2VGA...the new additions...were fun because I designed a fair part of it myself) But for me, it's probably best left as a hobby, rather than an all-encompassing job.

As far as Himalaya's concerned...there's a raw design on the table, but no funding at this point. Time will tell how things will work out.

Ducky
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Ducky » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:01 pm

I just wanted to say I love the remakes AGDI have created, I use to play QFG and KQ when i was a kid, I have stoped playing games because I don't get into them the direction games have gone in i don't particularly care for. When i was crusing the net for old sierra games years ago and stumbled across AGDI I was ecstatic and have follwed them since. I know that they arn't doing anymore remakes which is sad but i understand I just want to say Please, Please creat more games along the lines of the classics, the fantasy, adventure, puzzle solving kind I love them and havn't seen a good one in a long time (AGDI remakes exception).
Oh and when it comes to fighting please put in a auto mode, i love the puzzles and all the things of the QFG but i'm no good with fighting and have been stuck in parts on the QFG remake because of it, hopefully i can get someone to help me so i can continue on the game i love it!
And thank you again AGDI for opening to world of gaming to me again (and my family for that matter)!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#4 Post by DrJones » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:16 pm

There's already an auto mode for the fights in Quest for Glory 2 VGA, isn't it?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Not an auto-mode in the way that it does all the fighting and you as the player can hang back and watch. The co-pilot merely assists you in an area of your choice, be it parrying, sidestepping, ducking/jumping or pulling off counterattacks. That means that unless you get familiar with the monsters and the battle system itself, the co-pilot is of little help.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by papste » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:04 am

The combat system used to trouble me too but then i realized that the problem wasn't the actual combat system, but actually the fact that my character stats were too low. People who play magic user and start from scratch (no import) will certainly find the combat system to be hard. My advice is to avoid combat at the beginning till your character is strong enough. I understand that some people might just care about the adventuring/puzzle solving part and don't want to deal with arcade or fighting parts, but that's not what quest for glory games stand for in my opinion. I always considered the QFG series as a mix of RPG and adventuring elements but to be honest i hated the battle system in QFG3 and QFG5 and the VGA remake of QFG1 because it was too boring. QFG2 remake by AGDI changed all that for me. I absolutely loved the combat system in this game. I think when you get to know it and your character has decent enough stats to handle combat with the monsters of the land of Shapeir you will love it too.

Cadbury Wookie
Royal Scribe

#7 Post by Cadbury Wookie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:36 am

As far as Himalaya's concerned...there's a raw design on the table
There was. The cat ate it.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Brainiac » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:17 pm

Cadbury Wookie wrote:
As far as Himalaya's concerned...there's a raw design on the table
There was. The cat ate it.
So steal some of its fur and then kick it, Gwydion. :p

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Har har.

Ducky
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Ducky » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:15 pm

Thats okay I understand alot of people love the combat and i know it is part of the game i just have ALOT of trouble with it i will try as you mentioned building up my charecter. But i believe their can be both for those who enjoy the fighting they can do it manually but i really like in the seirra versions they did have an auto for those people like me who just can't seem to get it. Its rough to be told that just because you can't handle the combat you can not play the game, the puzzle part is the bulk of the game and is extremly fun!! I LOVE it i just wish they still used the auto option for fighting.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#11 Post by Gronagor » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:15 am

The whole idea of QfG is to build up your character, and not just for combat. I unfortunately can't agree with you. If the combat is 'removed' even if it's a 'auto-combat' function, it would ruin the game for me.

Oh well. :) We all have our own ideas. :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:56 am

Removing combat would make no sense, since it's essential to one of the three classes and several stats on your character sheet, but that wasn't what was being suggested. You can avoid it mostly, however. If you're playing a mage or thief, there isn't a single mandatory battle in the game. (although as a mage you'd have to be conservative with money and play wizard games early and often to raise your magic skill)
But i believe their can be both for those who enjoy the fighting they can do it manually but i really like in the seirra versions they did have an auto for those people like me who just can't seem to get it.
Actually, only QFG4 had an auto-battle option. In the other games, you had no choice but to do the fighting yourself. (although QFG3 also had some auto-dodge, but QFG2VGA has that too)

If your trouble with battle is the reflexes, setting the co-pilot to dodge/misc at the start and dodge/sidestep later on will make it difficult for most opponents to kill you. You can also set the difficulty slider to the lowest setting in order to make sure enemies have lower hp and use only their basic attacks. This, combined with medium to high stats will ensure victory just about anytime. While fighters have to rely on their combat skills to see them through, mages spells become very powerful (to the point of killing monsters with 1 or 2 spells) and thieves can backstab in order to kill monsters without actually having to fight them. You won't need top-notch reflexes or arcade skills in order to become strong. If you "don't get it", please be more specific what you don't get and we can help. If it's a matter of principle or simply not wanting to take the time to get to know the battle system, there's nothing I can do...the battle system in the game is at it is.

Ducky
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Ducky » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:43 pm

Thank you I think what you have suggested will help emencely! Sorry i didn't mean to sound negative of the game i think it is outstanding and what AGDI has done with sierra games is absloutly incredible. Your right about QFG4 with auto (it was 4 right?) thats the one i played by myself, mostly, my sisters and i would all sit around and play figuring things out, but on "I Want To Be a Hero" QFG i always would yell for my brother to come and do the fighting, supose that has hindered me now, I'll get it, I will, I haft to. Thank you so much for all your help If i have more questions i'll be sure to ask.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#14 Post by Gronagor » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Hey... don't be afraid of running away if you know you're about to lose!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:45 pm

Or, if it's a close call, run away, take a healing pill and re-engage. Training with Uhura is pretty useful too.

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by b74life » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:45 am

If you're having trouble getting funding, why not try to work a deal with TellTale games? They're like the only popular adventure-game type company in existence, and they only get away with it by adding nice 3d graphics and using popular titles. If you've gained a massive fanbase from your QG2 release, you should show Telltale the download statistics. See if they're interested. I think a QG-style game from you all has more potential to make money than normal adventure games because there's that aspect of action to it with the combat system and character-building. And your new combat system beats the hell out of any of the original QGs. Get some solid ideas, concept art, and show Telltale the work you've done.

I mean I'm sure anyone here would pay a normal game amount for a new QG-style game. If that's what it takes to make it happen I say no problem. I'd easily pay 40 to 50 bucks for a modernized QG style game.

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#17 Post by rugged » Tue May 05, 2009 9:09 pm

Would doing an episodic game get around the large development costs? I am not sying it is cheap to do each episode but it surely has to be cheaper then completing a full game. I think a full length game split into 3 episodes could be a great thing. Also potential buyers are far more likely to take a punt with $10 then they are with $25. But if your first episode is catching enough you will get them for the 2nd and 3rd episodes as well.