Adventures in digital painting

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Lambonius
Knight Status

Adventures in digital painting

#1 Post by Lambonius » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:38 pm

I just completed this digital painting for an illustration class I'm taking this semester. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out, and since it has an adventure-gamey vibe to it, I thought I'd post it and show it off to everyone here. I did some AGI 16 color background screens for fun a while back, which you can see here, and this semester has seen my first real foray into full-color photoshop paintings. Hope you guys like it!

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

Re: Adventures in digital painting

#2 Post by Lady Pyro » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:13 pm

That looks fantastic! I'm very jealous!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:16 am

I LOVE Indiana Jones and water reflections!

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#4 Post by eriqchang » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:26 am

You are incredibly talented. Your 16 colour agi renderings are just as impressive. I was checking that thread daily for a while.

Do you have a personal website showcasing your illustrations?

Keep up the amazing work. I bet you have one hell of a successful career in front of you.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#5 Post by Lambonius » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:47 am

Thanks for the kind words, guys (and Lady.) No, I don't have a website, yet. Believe it or not, I'm not actually an illustrator, or even an illustration student. I have a BFA in painting and I'm currently finishing up my MA in art history. My fiancee is an illustrator, (though her stuff is completely different in style from the painting I posted here,) and she inspired me to take the leap and try my hand at this kind of thing (she even helped me get permission to get into the class, which was for illustration majors only.) More and more I am thinking that it is something I would like to pursue, though, and your words of encouragement (eriqchang in particular, in light of his awesome work with AGDI) absolutely mean a great deal. Thanks again!! :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:54 pm

Very nice work, man. Kudos.

mindscout
Peasant Status

#7 Post by mindscout » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Awesome, excelent work!

Knight Status

#8 Post by 1234567890 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:41 am

Awesome work man! You should get a site! even just a free site of some kind, just to keep all your work and such. ;)

Lambonius
Knight Status

#9 Post by Lambonius » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Here's a new one that I just finished for class. There are a few things about it that I may go back and tweak later, but for now I'm satisfied. Since it's huge (the actual dimensions at 300 dpi are 8" x 17",) I'm going to post it as a photobucket link, so as not to stretch out the forum window.

Dante and Virgil Crossing the Styx

Jason Lamb 2009

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/ ... 100dpi.jpg
Last edited by Lambonius on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:46 pm

Creepy. Nice, but creepy. :)

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#11 Post by DrJones » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:30 pm

I like it, but lacks tension. Virgil seems more annoyed than scared, and Dante doesn't even care about the undeads. Of course, I didn't get THAT far in the book, so a proper critic on the scene requires a rereading from my part. :lol

Good job. Two thumbs up! (b")b

Lambonius
Knight Status

#12 Post by Lambonius » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:40 pm

DrJones wrote:I like it, but lacks tension. Virgil seems more annoyed than scared, and Dante doesn't even care about the undeads. Of course, I didn't get THAT far in the book, so a proper critic on the scene requires a rereading from my part. :lol

Good job. Two thumbs up! (b")b
Well, to be fair, Virgil is the standing figure, typically depicted wearing a long cloak and laurel leaves, and, true to the poem, is nearly always the picture of stoicism and calm as he guides Dante through the perils of the Inferno. In the poem, Dante has a conversation with one of the souls trapped in the Styx, who was actually a person who Dante had known in real life (and strongly disliked.) At the end of their conversation, the soul lunges out in an attempt to get on the boat, and Virgil, who had been calmly guiding Dante up until that point, knocks him back into the mire (the river Styx in the poem is actually described as a muddy, swampy quagmire rather than a traditional river) where he is quickly torn apart by the other souls trapped there. ;)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:52 pm

I think it's excellent. The mood, the atmosphere. Entirely conveyed to me. Great work.

Bt

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#14 Post by eriqchang » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Ugh you are so amazing. You need to go work for a game company or open a gallery or something.

You have real talent my friend.

MORE please!