Savegames

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

Savegames

#1 Post by Markus Ramikin » Sun May 03, 2009 4:35 pm

I want to play the game through on the 3 different classes, but I want to keep savegames from each, in separate folders. I've been able to do that with other QFG games easily. How do I do it in QFG2?

I tried to create a subfolder for a character and move my savegames there (to retrieve later if I ever want to go back to any particular moment in the game) but once I did that, the game refused to work any more, I tried to start it and it came up with errors about not finding some file or other. So for now I've put the files back in the game folder...

And when I copied them and removed the saves from inside the game itself, I was left with a bunch of files named Qfg2vga.001, Qfg2vga.002 etc. It's a mess. (Also, why can't I navigate different directories from inside the game, like I could in QFG1?)

Any help please?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Savegames

#2 Post by Erpy » Sun May 03, 2009 5:00 pm

That was a limitation of AGS...not allowing AGS game developers to manipulate files beyond the game folder meant nobody could write AGS games that removed stuff from your system.

The files are named agssave.001 etc... I don't think there are any issues when you simply copy them to another folder. If you mistook the qfg2vga.001 etc-files for savegames...yah, those should be left where they are.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Sun May 03, 2009 5:06 pm

Yeah, you're moving the game resource files to another directory, that's why it stops working, heh. Erpy was faster than me in his reply.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Markus Ramikin » Sun May 03, 2009 9:35 pm

Thanks for the replies. Well the qfg2vga.001 files are each matched to 1 savegame file, so I figured they're some sort of setting files for the savegame and should go together. But if not, I guess I can put the agssave.001 files into separate folders and bring them back when necessary.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by papste » Mon May 04, 2009 6:05 am

For those who are playing on Vista and if you are running the game not as an administrator, the savegames are placed in a different directory called virtual store and you can find them by pressing the button compatibility files which is located next to the burn button when you are browsing the game folder. You can move those files to a backup location for later use, and play the game with a different character, then when you need the old savegames create a backup of the new ones and copy the old ones over to the original folder.

For those playing under XP you could create custom savegame folders (could call them thief, wizard and fighter if you want) under the game folder and move the corresponding savegames from the game folder into them.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Markus Ramikin » Mon May 04, 2009 10:29 am

Yeah that's what I've been doing. :) I'm on Windows 2000 btw.