Paladin Magic Points

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Nanuaraq
Peasant Status

Paladin Magic Points

#1 Post by Nanuaraq » Sat May 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Not exactly a QG2 question, hope it's ok:

Is there any way to avoid gaining the magic ability when importing as a paladin?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Paladin Magic Points

#2 Post by Erpy » Sat May 09, 2009 11:02 pm

No, the magic ability is required to be able to open the spell menu, which houses the paladin's healing ability.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Sun May 10, 2009 12:24 am

Nanuaraq wrote:Not exactly a QG2 question, hope it's ok:

Is there any way to avoid gaining the magic ability when importing as a paladin?
Yes and no. Importing a Paladin into any QfG will not immediately give you Magic. However, gaining Healing Hands in QfG3 or QfG4 does require use of the Magic submenu; thus Paladins will have to gain the Magic stat. If you wish to avoid this, you must either remove your magic stat via hex-editing or some similar process OR skip to QfG5 which allows access to Paladin Abilities without requiring a Magic stat (the game even came with a premade Paladin with no Magic ready for import).

Nanuaraq
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Nanuaraq » Sun May 10, 2009 7:20 am

Brainiac wrote:
Nanuaraq wrote:Not exactly a QG2 question, hope it's ok:

Yes and no. Importing a Paladin into any QfG will not immediately give you Magic. However, gaining Healing Hands in QfG3 or QfG4 does require use of the Magic submenu; thus Paladins will have to gain the Magic stat. If you wish to avoid this, you must either remove your magic stat via hex-editing or some similar process OR skip to QfG5 which allows access to Paladin Abilities without requiring a Magic stat (the game even came with a premade Paladin with no Magic ready for import).

Just for the sake of an argument: Can I avoid gaining the healing hands, then?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sun May 10, 2009 8:52 am

That's very tough since it's the second paladin ability you gain and it doesn't take a lot of honorable actions to get to that point. (in fact, some of the mandatory plot events may already give you the boosts you'd need) You could try by acting like a scoundrel at every opportunity in an attempt to keep your karma in the negative, but if you're going down that road (being a pally but having none of the benefits) you may as well simply remain a fighter and fell less inadequate. :p

Nanuaraq
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Nanuaraq » Sun May 10, 2009 9:39 am

Erpy wrote:That's very tough since it's the second paladin ability you gain and it doesn't take a lot of honorable actions to get to that point. (in fact, some of the mandatory plot events may already give you the boosts you'd need) You could try by acting like a scoundrel at every opportunity in an attempt to keep your karma in the negative, but if you're going down that road (being a pally but having none of the benefits) you may as well simply remain a fighter and fell less inadequate. :p

Hmmm, of course, I could give the key to Dinarzad and drop my honor to 0, since it can then no longer be raised, then export as a paladin, but that would feel out of character...
Or export as a fighter, but then I'd never make it to paladin in QG3...

Damn, I know someone on this forum mentioned how he'd avoided the magic ability as a paladin, but I can't find the damn post...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Sun May 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Actually, giving the key to Dinarzad doesn't permanently keep your honor at an all-time low. It's just harder to recover from. You could try being a fighter in QFG3 and get promoted to paladin near the end...that'll at least make sure you won't gain healing hands in QFG3. It might not be able to prevent you from getting it in QFG4 though.

Nanuaraq
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Nanuaraq » Sun May 10, 2009 1:00 pm

Erpy wrote:Actually, giving the key to Dinarzad doesn't permanently keep your honor at an all-time low. It's just harder to recover from. You could try being a fighter in QFG3 and get promoted to paladin near the end...that'll at least make sure you won't gain healing hands in QFG3. It might not be able to prevent you from getting it in QFG4 though.
Right, I'll see how it goes...

Anyway, I just fought the earth elemental first time as a fighter. Wow man, that is COOL :eek
Amazing animations. My jaw simply dropped. And stayed there :p
Best fight of the series so far. And tough! Including the dragon fight at QGV.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Markus Ramikin » Sun May 10, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm really glad I decided to cross-train my fighter character in magic from the start. The magic points nonsense in game 3 and 4 would have been disappointing. For two, Frost Bite makes me sooo much more dangerous in game 5. And of course it gives me that much more in common with the lovely and powerful Erana ;)

I just wish Aziza would play a game with me and teach me the more powerful flame dart. I mean I did earn the title of Wizard in the WIT... even if my class still showed as a Fighter *grumble*. And silly Keapon doesn't give me the juggling lights spell in game 3 even though later character imports correct that glaring mistake!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Brainiac » Sun May 10, 2009 6:46 pm

Markus Ramikin wrote:And silly Keapon doesn't give me the juggling lights spell in game 3 even though later character imports correct that glaring mistake!
Actually, the importation correcting the lack of certain spells is kind of a mistake. Non-Wizards with Magic should lack Zap, Juggling Lights, Summon Staff, and Resistance going in to QfG5; it's why Shakra's shop has all of those spells (save Summon Staff) available for sale. Unfortunately, the spell imports are notoriously bad in the QfG games and as a result Shakra selling those spells is virtually useless.

Honestly, since QfG5 is so much easier to hack than any of the other games, I tend to correct that error immediately in the game by converting the spells into some useless item I can then drop. That way, my honorable Paladin-Mage acts as he was intended. Plus because of the somewhat foolish tying of Honor to bargaining ability, Pallies get everything for cheap. :p
Last edited by Brainiac on Sun May 10, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Markus Ramikin » Sun May 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Yeah I know. But for me it's a correction of a mistake rather than a mistake, because just the fact that I have a sword and shield doesn't make me any less wizard! So Keapon should have given me the juggling lights ;)

Zap I never bother using anyway so it's just one of those things I didn't care about. But for the sake of argument, is there some resource about editing that you could link me to please?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Brainiac » Sun May 10, 2009 6:57 pm

That depends on what game you want to edit.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by Markus Ramikin » Sun May 10, 2009 7:00 pm

Well obviously the ones you used to do what you were describing a post earlier! but NVM, I just remembered Google is my friend. ;)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Brainiac » Sun May 10, 2009 7:03 pm

No, I meant which QfG game. I use different methods for different games.