Erana in the final battle of game 5

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

Erana in the final battle of game 5

#1 Post by Markus Ramikin » Sun May 10, 2009 8:35 pm

Since we seem to discuss other QFG games here, I figured I'd post.

Just finished Dragon Fire not long ago and I'm kinda wondering. Just what exactly was Erana doing during the final fight? I mean sure, if I ask her, she'll heal someone, but if I leave her to her own devices? She just seems to hover in the air, then teleport, then hover again. Am I missing something? Or did the creators intend for her to do something of her own but failed...

Nanuaraq
Peasant Status

Re: Erana in the final battle of game 5

#2 Post by Nanuaraq » Sun May 10, 2009 9:08 pm

Markus Ramikin wrote:Since we seem to discuss other QFG games here, I figured I'd post.

Just finished Dragon Fire not long ago and I'm kinda wondering. Just what exactly was Erana doing during the final fight? I mean sure, if I ask her, she'll heal someone, but if I leave her to her own devices? She just seems to hover in the air, then teleport, then hover again. Am I missing something? Or did the creators intend for her to do something of her own but failed...
Otherwise, this is a good forum for everything QfG-related:
http://www.questformoreglory.com/forums/index.php
:)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Sun May 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Markus Ramikin wrote:Since we seem to discuss other QFG games here, I figured I'd post.
Actually, I created a General QfG Discussions thread in the Off-Topic Forum. It kind of petered out, bu you're welcome to revive it.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Markus Ramikin » Mon May 11, 2009 11:30 am

Or we could just focus on the topic rather than on making sure it's in the correct file cabinet ;) Besides, single threads for a huge possible range of topics don't really work anyway. But sure, I'll post at the other forum (not thread) when I can be bothered to register at yet another place.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Mon May 11, 2009 1:00 pm

If I recall correctly, she'll sacrifice herself on her own without being asked...the question is whether you want that. :p Other than that, I think she remains a bit passive though she'll do the healing when you ask her. She and Katrina are kinda total opposites in that (and most other) ways.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Markus Ramikin » Mon May 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Hm no, she didn't sacrifice herself without being asked. But that may be because Frost Bite is so broken that I had the dragon down to half health before she could react. ;)

She says something about protecting us during the fight, maybe her presence means everyone takes less damage from dragon fire. In fact that's what I choose to believe. *nods at himself convincingly*.

(Is it just me or Erana has been presented too much as goody-goody and not enough as the powerful and legendary arch-mage that she was)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Mon May 11, 2009 5:35 pm

Actually, she sacrifices herself sometimes when YOU offer to give your life. (depending on the circumstances)

If you're referring to her role in the fight...it's possibly done to balance things out. I mean, Erana does heal people when you ask her and she never runs out of MP, so imagine how broken the fight would be if she auto-healed everyone who reached the point of croaking.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Markus Ramikin » Mon May 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Erpy wrote:Actually, she sacrifices herself sometimes when YOU offer to give your life. (depending on the circumstances)
Yeah I know. Although, also depening on circumstances, Gort may take the metaphorical bullet for her then. Not when you specifically ask Erana to sacrifice herself though. Either way it's not relevant to the question of what she does when not prompted in any way. :)

I'll buy the balance argument though I guess. Not that I've seen much evidence of balancing effort in game 5 ;) if that game were ever made into multiplayer, everyone and their dog would be a paladin-mage. And nobody would ever -dare- summon a Wizard's Staff.

Not that it's a huge problem. These games never were about hardcore combat. It's a nice bonus that the game 2 remake has a reasonably fun combat system. But it's not essential to what QFG games are about.

Although game 5's combat system would have been pretty damn good if 1. you couldn't cast multiple frost bites at the same time, and 2. If you couldn't spam pills.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Mon May 11, 2009 7:51 pm

if that game were ever made into multiplayer, everyone and their dog would be a paladin-mage. And nobody would ever -dare- summon a Wizard's Staff.
Paladin agreed. A combination of Honor Shield, Magic Ward and Holy Strength would pretty much mean the fight'd be over before it started. Keeping the pally out, I'm not too sure about wizards. Sure, frostbite hurts like crazy, assuming the opponent is silly enough to stay in the blast. The computer conveniently ignores the damage and tries to keep hitting you while his life bar is draining away, but a human player would probably be running around like crazy and either stand just beyond the range of frostbite and chuck a few daggers past that clever reversal spell or just walk around the mage and bury a dragonslayer in the caster's back while the latter is busy turning around. (which, as we know, in QFG5 takes a while)

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Markus Ramikin » Mon May 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Erpy wrote:bury a dragonslayer in the caster's back while the latter is busy turning around. (which, as we know, in QFG5 takes a while)
Not if you're combining it with walking back. Like turning while driving a car backwards. Would be very easy to keep even a running character in front of you. Not to mention you can always click attack on an enemy to take a practically instant correction.

But yeah I wasn't thinking of daggers. Fortunately, you can continue a once-began frost bite from behind a shield. (Have I mentioned frost bite is broken? :p)

So as I see it, frost bite beats everything but a paladin-wizard has the advantage of extra protection from paladin abilities on top of magical protection spells. AFAIK, it stacks up. And the pure wizard's "advantage" is his staff, which is suicide to invoke, and +50 to max magic, which is unimportant. So Paladin-wizard is IMO top class.

And of course pill-spam would make all of that moot as the guy who has more pills wins.

Nah, let's just face it, that game wasn't meant to be multiplayer :)

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Markus Ramikin » Mon May 11, 2009 9:40 pm

Oh and might I add, from an RP point of view, it is all as it should be ;) what's the point of being a mighty wizard if anything you can do after intense study of mystical arts any fighter can do as well by applying the extra muscle you don't have. I never believed in games which pit magical vs nonmagical characters as if they should have the same chance to win. :) but that's me.