Making a game in AGS: How do I start?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

2dgamers
Peasant Status

Making a game in AGS: How do I start?

#1 Post by 2dgamers » Mon May 11, 2009 1:24 am

I was wondering how everyone here makes games in AGS... please place any of your practices or thoughts on your process from start to finish. Include tools you use and resources to those tools, (if you have them.) It can be a fan game or an original game. This can be somewhat of a resource thread for anyone wanting to make a game in AGS.

Thanks in advance for sharing. :D

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Making a game in AGS: How do I start?

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon May 11, 2009 8:00 am

The most important thing is to complete the tutorial first. With the removal of the interaction editor, AGS has gotten its learning curve up a bit and you definitely want to know how the program works before you're gonna mess around with it.

2dgamers
Peasant Status

#3 Post by 2dgamers » Thu May 14, 2009 5:01 am

Thanks Erpy! What about graphics programs, sound editors, and such? Which ones have less learning curves and those with steep ones?

And how about the actual thought process from start to finish -- before you even touch the computer??

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:43 pm

Photoshop is great not only for backgrounds, but for sprites as well. On the AGS forums, there's a thread that lists all kinds of free graphics programs, however, that might suit you if you can't get your hands on photoshop.

For sound editing, try AUDACITY. It's free, powerful, and easy to use.

There's also a Demo Game (called Demo Quest) I think for AGS. It helps familiarize you with its features.

Bt

2dgamers
Peasant Status

#5 Post by 2dgamers » Fri May 29, 2009 6:42 am

Thanks BT, that is really helpful too. I hope to see more input from others out there that love to design games in AGS. (Every little bit helps.)

Looking forward to more helpful hints, advice, or just general game design talk. :smokin